0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] Model Editing With Linux

Greetings my fellow linux users. Want to start model editing, but hate dual booting or running virtual box? This guide will help you get the following working completely from wine:

Glitchy's MES
    Glitchy's Model Swapper
    DBC Editor
    Ladik's MPQ Editor
    ModIt (used instead of WowModelViewer for lots of reasons, namely more features, less bugs)
    MyWarcraftStudio (Took me forever and a day to get this working and I'm still not sure WHY it works but it does)

I know it looks like a lot of work, but 90% of this guide is copying and pasting terminal commands, and the other 10% is copying files and making launchers.

All right, first things first. Were going to make a seperate wine prefix for WoW and all of its model editing. It's a pain, but it saves time. If you don't do this, you'll probably be spending hours trying to figure out why certain programs don't work.

In terminal:
    Code:
    wineprefixcreate --prefix ~/.wineprefixes/WorldofWarcraft
    This will make the new prefix in the home/.wineprefixes folder

Now copy your World of Warcraft folder and your editing tools to the appropriate spot in your new prefix.

Now we're going to install winetricks to save even more time.
    Code:
    wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
    Install the following with winetricks, remember to use it from your prefix though.
    Code:
    env WINEPREFIX=~/.wineprefixes/WorldofWarcraft sh winetricks allfonts d3dx9 dotnet20 ie6 vcrun2003 vcrun2005 vcrun2008 gdiplus
    This will take a while, but it's installing all the necessities for the model editing software listed above. Windows fonts, DirectX, .NET 2.0, IE6, VC Runtimes 03-08, and GDI+.

Everything should be up and functional now (except MWS), if you want to make launchers (shortcuts), remember to use the prefix you created.
    Code:
    env WINEPREFIX=~/.wineprefixes/WorldofWarcraft wine "C:\ModelSwap\ModelSwap.exe"
    etc..etc..The links at the top have the extracted icons as well.

Now for the important one, MWS. For some reason this will not run from terminal unless you change to its directory and then execute it with wine. And since we can't do that with a launcher, we're going to make a script that can be ran from terminal or launcher. Open up gedit or whatever text editor you prefer and copy the following:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

cd .wineprefixes/WorldofWarcraft/drive_c/MyWarCraftStudio/
    env WINEPREFIX=~/.wineprefixes/WorldofWarcraft wine MyWarCraftStudio.exe
    Now save it to your home folder as MWSLauncher.sh
    Next we're going to make it executable:
    Code:
    chmod x MWSLauncher.sh
    Now we can use the following code to either run from terminal or to make a shortcut:
    Code:
    /home/yournamehere/MWSLauncher.sh

Notes:

I'm sure there's a lot of programs I haven't tried yet, as I am fairly new to the scene and currently only do simple race\spell swaps. If you would like me to get something working not listed here, let me know and I'll update with results.

Also I'm not going to write a guide on how to use these programs for linux, as it's the exact same as you would on windows, once you get everything running correctly.

Good luck, and have fun.
    Last edited by tacoismad; 02-14-2010 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Updated for new wine version

[Guide] Model Editing With Linux
    Arid's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm.I am going to try this see if it works.I am runing in Ubuntu can't seem to get Nogg-it or YiasEdit DX to work.Perhaps this will help