0/1
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Code] Adaptive memory reader

Yep, the title is misleading, for a reason. If you're a mod, feel free to change it or delete it, but please read the post first.

<rant>

Okay, I haven't really been frquenting these forums for a while, been busy with work.
    Upon coming back however, I had a nice little shock. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking these, so here's a quick list off the top of my head:

If you don't know how to find object information, leave this forum now.
    If you don't even know what object descriptors are, leave this forum now.
    If you ask how you can find information that is easily obtainable from the search button above, leave this forum now.
    If you ask how you can find information that is easily obtainable from the object descriptors, leave this forum now.
    If you ask how you can find information that is easily obtainable from Lua calls, leave this forum now.
    If you don't know what TLS is, leave this forum now.
    If you don't know how to adaptively discover calls and objects, thus completely ignoring TLS and hard-coded offsets, leave this forum now.
    And the most telling one; if you don't know what a vtable is and why the pointer offsets you read from are sometimes increased by 8, leave this forum now.

As the stickied post says, this forum requires a certain level of prior knowledge, and all I see in this forum nowadays is questions from people who obviously have no clue about how to reverse engineer anything, and would rather gorge themselves on a diet of copypasta.
    The level of difficulty of the questions I'm seeing on the front page makes me think that the it's been invaded by people who shouldn't be screwing with this stuff. But hey, it's just an observation I've made. Feel free to screw up WoW. Just don't come complaining here when it doesn't work - chances are, what you're asking is basic enough that someone with half a brain can discover themselves.

</rant>
    Last edited by wraithZX; 04-13-2009 at 10:15 AM. Reason: s/item/object/g

[Code] Adaptive memory reader
    kynox's Avatar Account not activated by Email
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As unnecessary as this topic is, i agree wholeheartedly.

Cypher's Avatar Kynox's Sister's Pimp
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yay! Someone who's not retarded!

boomingranny's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so where is the Adaptive memory reader?

(yes im kidding. :P)

seriously though, im trying to learn, and this seems like a good place.

i fail on:
    If you don't know how to adaptively discover calls and objects, thus completely ignoring TLS and hard-coded offsets, leave this forum now.
    And the most telling one; if you don't know what a vtable is and why the pointer offsets you read from are sometimes increased by 8, leave this forum now.

do i really have to go?
    if so, where should i go, so that when i do come back i understand the above??
    Last edited by boomingranny; 04-14-2009 at 07:45 AM.

Nesox's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    0/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by boomingranny View Post
    so where is the Adaptive memory reader?

(yes im kidding. :P)

seriously though, im trying to learn, and this seems like a good place.

i fail on:

do i really have to go?
    if so, where should i go, so that when i do come back i understand the above??
    Use the search button.
    It's all here! but it's in secret threads :twisted:

Dalord Urgod's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I typically ignore this nonsense but I had time so I decided to indulge a bit
    Why has this thread not been closed?
    It was not created by a moderator and serves no purpose whatsoever.
    If you don’t like the topic of a thread ignore it and let the Mods decide it’s status.
    It is arrogant and elitist of you to even start such a thread.
    Most of what I see here is an exchange of ideas by people with verging degrees of knowledge on a very narrow subject but I am sure that EVERYONE here had a starting point.
    The Mods seem to do a really good job of weeding out the bullshit so your post serves only to self indulge. And, BTW, if your intent is to represent is yourself as “Cypher” then let me give you some advice:
    DON’T!
    It only makes you look foolish. See sarcasm and Sinicism are difficult to master.
    And it takes a lot of talent to be able to pull it off in printed form but most importantly you have to EARN the status required.

Apoc's Avatar Angry Penguin
    Thanks G/R
    0/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Dalord Urgod View Post
    I typically ignore this nonsense but I had time so I decided to indulge a bit
    Why has this thread not been closed?
    It was not created by a moderator and serves no purpose whatsoever.
    If you don’t like the topic of a thread ignore it and let the Mods decide it’s status.
    It is arrogant and elitist of you to even start such a thread.
    Most of what I see here is an exchange of ideas by people with verging degrees of knowledge on a very narrow subject but I am sure that EVERYONE here had a starting point.
    The Mods seem to do a really good job of weeding out the bullshit so your post serves only to self indulge. And, BTW, if your intent is to represent is yourself as “Cypher” then let me give you some advice:
    DON’T!
    It only makes you look foolish. See sarcasm and Sinicism are difficult to master.
    And it takes a lot of talent to be able to pull it off in printed form but most importantly you have to EARN the status required.
    Why did I leave this thread open? (Yes, I saw it within minutes of it being posted)

Simple, because it's 100% true. Most of the things in the original post, are incredibly basic aspects. Being in this section means that you have at least SOME idea of reverse engineering, and how memory works. (Pick up a book, search for the explanation on vtables, you'll see a nice paragraph or two explaining the 4 or 8 significance)

I'll be closing this thread now, only because of the misleading thread title.

However, this IS a forum of your PEERS. Meaning, I'm not the one who has the last say, this is a community. Even the members here get a say. And most of the time, I agree. If 90% of this section doesn't want to see <x> question asked 50 more times, then they have a right to complain about it.