Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a personal project, how important is anti-detection?

hey guys,

It's been a while since I've done anything for wow and I've had a minor passion project I've wanted to work on for a while, but I'm kind of worried about really digging into the guts of the subject. my question is, if I'm making a minor bot for my own interest, how worried should I be about avoiding detection? does blizzard now mass scan for any interaction, or are they just specifically acting against the big names?

appreciate the advice.

for a personal project, how important is anti-detection?
    lolp1's Avatar Site Donator CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    43/77
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by moe View Post
    hey guys,

It's been a while since I've done anything for wow and I've had a minor passion project I've wanted to work on for a while, but I'm kind of worried about really digging into the guts of the subject. my question is, if I'm making a minor bot for my own interest, how worried should I be about avoiding detection? does blizzard now mass scan for any interaction, or are they just specifically acting against the big names?

appreciate the advice.
    In most cases you should be safe, the main thing to worry about is not sharing any methods with public bots they have been or may be targeted. I can't provide a list of dangerous stuff, though.

Filint's Avatar Contributor Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    23/56
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand - could be wrong

There's always the basic warden scans going on - easy enough to circumvent and yes if you're detouring a function you should be making sure they don't find out. Other things, like the recent "new detection method", are more intended for specific bots - or rather, the methods they use - so if you're doing the same thing as those bots you'll get caught.

In my opinion? Best idea: go x64 - warden really doesn't seem to be all that active.

The above is probably horrendously incorrect - it's my interpretation of the situation though.

Torpedoes's Avatar ★ Elder ★ Doomsayer
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    148/415
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion: stay outside the WoW process and avoid hooking functions. At any time Blizzard can check their own code and ban you, and you will never see it coming. Unless you're writing hacks, most bots can be implemented using simple memory reading.

prospectingemu's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't looked at the warden scans but if you want to stay clear of detection don't hook any functions. AFAIK warden isn't looking for function calls so if you stick to thread safe calls like Cast and don't hook the main thread (doString) I would assume that you will be fine

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    148/415
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by prospectingemu View Post
    Haven't looked at the warden scans but if you want to stay clear of detection don't hook any functions. AFAIK warden isn't looking for function calls so if you stick to thread safe calls like Cast and don't hook the main thread (doString) I would assume that you will be fine
    Until they start checking the call stack. oh wait.

prospectingemu's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then i guess you are going to be pretty limited unless you want to get really into warden, to be external i guess you can either-

1. emulate mouse / button clicks for spell casts
    2. type/write directly into chat (emulate enter key, wait for chatbox to show - paste text into it - emulate enter press)

DarkLinux's Avatar Former Staff
    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    188/531
    Trade Feedback
    16 (100%)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can always push a valid return address and just jmp to the function, and then hook the return. Then if they hook that function they would see a valid caller.

provirus's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    5/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Torpedoes View Post
    Unless you're writing hacks, most bots can be implemented using simple memory reading.
    How to interact with objects, target players/NPCs without any memory writing?

Frosttall's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    16/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by provirus View Post
    Like a normal player does: Right mouse button.

There is furthermore an "Interact with target"-Key, which is normally unbound. This works only with targetable units (if you are not using mem write)

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    148/415
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either target them normally or write into "TargetLastTarget" and press the button.

provirus's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    5/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either target them normally or write into "TargetLastTarget" and press the button.
    Ahhh, I was hoping you will tell me some mystical knowledge - how to throw away memory writing, EIP changing, hardware breakpoints, etc
    I understand that LUA isn't necessary, bot can move/interact via keyboard emulation - but it seems to be too complicated. Yes, I'm whining.
    Last edited by provirus; 05-23-2015 at 01:56 PM.

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    148/415
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh, I was hoping you will tell me some mystical knowledge - how to throw away memory writing, EIP changing, hardware breakpoints, etc
    I understand that LUA isn't necessary, bot can move/interact via keyboard emulation - but it seems to be too complicated. Yes, I'm whining.
    Compared to hooking a function or injecting a DLL, writing to .DATA is very reasonable. As for keyboard / mouse interaction, it's not as complicated as you might think. A simple World to Screen function will solve most of your problems. Just gotta not be lazy and put some effort into a good solution.

moe's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compared to hooking a function or injecting a DLL, writing to .DATA is very reasonable. As for keyboard / mouse interaction, it's not as complicated as you might think. A simple World to Screen function will solve most of your problems. Just gotta not be lazy and put some effort into a good solution.
    honestly exploring this issue and trying to figure out how one would go about locating an entity on the screen to click. I may be other thinking the issue, but I think it would have to go along these lines.

first you must be facing the mob in question, then calculate the distance between you and them, then calculate from the angle and direction of the camera where they would be on the screen. this seems overly complicated for the act of finding a target, mind telling me if there is an easier method for finding something in 3d space on a 2d plane?

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    148/415
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by moe View Post
    First you must be facing the mob in question, then calculate the distance between you and them, then calculate from the angle and direction of the camera where they would be on the screen. this seems overly complicated for the act of finding a target, mind telling me if there is an easier method for finding something in 3d space on a 2d plane?
    Just do what I did with Wild-Catch / Sonar. First make sure you can see the target on the screen, if not adjust the camera via some method until you can see the target. Then calculate it's position on the 2D screen using a World to Screen function (i.e. a function that takes a position in 3D game space and transforms it into 2D screen space using the camera matrix). All you need to build a camera matrix is the position of the camera, the direction it's looking at and the FoV, all conveniently located next to each other in memory. If necessary position your character to face the target then right click.

Keep in mind that it took me about two months to build such a function and another two to get it to work when the player is on a vehicle (You can see my research regarding that (Position Offset in Vehicles)here). Most people get this wrong, but you can see what I mean when I say people are either too lazy or are just incapable of coming up with a good solution for these kinds of problems. Hell I'm still working on a pathfinding method since I haven't seen a good solution for that yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast