0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hunter's Flare

Hey I was wondering if it would be possible to edit the graphic for hunters' flare ability and if so how? I would like to change to color so that it's more visible. The current flare is an orange/yellow color which kind of blends in with most brownish ground textures. Also if possible I would like the make the flare radius graphic more accurate (it currently is smaller than the actual flare effect) and the edges sharper.

Hunter's Flare
    Reflection's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you can edit the flare color. Search for the spell graphics in either wow patch and find the .blp texture for it. (You can view it before extracting in mywarcraftstudio). Extract it, convert to .PNG using BLP2PNG and then edit the color in photoshop or something alike. Save it and convert it back to .blp format. Make a patch file with the .blp in the correct treepath and voila

Not sure about the others as it'd be the model most likely and not the texture.

Freelance Digital Artist
    https://reflectionartwork.deviantart.com
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

sloth85's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I figured out the two .blp files associated with the flare glow using warcraft model viewer:
    SPELLS\GENERICGLOW2_64.blp
    SPELLS\GENERICGLOW64.blp

These two files are grayscale images of white circles with blurred edges. I changed them with photoshop so they are opaque bright turquoise colored circles with sharp edges. I made a patch file with warcraftstudio and tried it ingame, and I noticed a few problems:
    1. Although I made the circle bright turquoise in the .blp files, it seems to still have a yellow tint in game.
    2. Even though I made the circle 100% opaque, it still appears to be semi transparent in game.
    3. Several spells other than flare are affected too. It seems they all share the same generic glow .blp files.

The first problem isn't a big deal, I guess I could just adjust the color taking the yellow tint into account to make it the color I want. The second problem is because I'd like to make flare as visible as possible. So is the third, obviously I don't want any other spells to be affected.
    Last edited by sloth85; 05-21-2010 at 03:27 PM.

Reflection's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I don't have access to my warcraftstudio at the moment so I'm unable to check. If the flare really is using a generic glow there's really nothing you can do to only edit that file.

Alternatively, you could swap the spell with another. There's a guide for it in the tools & guides section.

Freelance Digital Artist
    https://reflectionartwork.deviantart.com
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

schlumpf's Avatar Retired Noggit Developer

Thanks G/R
    0/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 99% sure, its not a BLP you can edit but a particle effect inside of the model.