Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Question] Create and inject your own model?

Hey guys I know my way around to model editing, swapping, and texturing
    fairly well but there's something I've been wondering how to do for a while that i'm just completely stumped with X_x

I know you can extract a model from an MPQ, convert it over and edit it with 3DS Max (or whatever you prefer to use). When you're done with your edit, you can then export it, convert it back and import it to an MPQ and ta'da' a simple model edit.

In my studies, I've edited a nice handful of models and I've had an instance or two where i've deleted parts of a model and when I exported it as "model.obj" I could not convert it back into a M2 model. It said something about a different number of verticies.

My question here is:
    How can you create a model from scratch (using your own shapes sizes and as many verticies as you want lol), add a texture to it, then convert/import it for use in the game???

I've seen 2 instances where it looked as if people had created items from scratch and *poof* just like that, they worked....

Maybe I'm experiencing some illusion or something, but can someone help clarify this for me? Is it even possible?

`Synthblade`
    Last edited by synthblade; 05-15-2008 at 10:42 PM.
    AI is no match for Natural Stupidity.

[Question] Create and inject your own model?
    JimbobGo's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a 3ds->M2 converter. Create the model as normal (I used to like using Milkshape + 3DS Max and Unwrap3d)

synthblade's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by JimbobGo View Post
    There is a 3ds->M2 converter. Create the model as normal (I used to like using Milkshape + 3DS Max and Unwrap3d)
    I got the 3ds->M2 converter from this post here but something is wrong with the exe. I followed the instructions to letter and i kept getting an error that had something to do with validating the signature of the converter

On a side note, there's nothing to explain how I could go about adding a texture to the model either.

Goshujinsama's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i used this guide from glitchy to import my custom weapon and it worked pretty good.

http://www.mmowned.com/forums/model-...om-models.html

if it still gives errors after you tryed the method in his thread then you might want to try and triangulate your model so you making sure you don't have any N-gon's left. If you have no idea what an N-gon is. it's basicly a face with more that 4 vertices's and this will cause a lot errors in your model if you don't get rid of them.

also make sure you have correct UV's (aka your mapping job) on your model becuase if there are still some UV's outside of the 1-0 texture space it might also create some errors.

well hope this help and good luck ^^

DA: http:thedarkhell.deviantart.com

synthblade's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Goshujinsama View Post
    well i used this guide from glitchy to import my custom weapon and it worked pretty good.

http://www.mmowned.com/forums/model-...om-models.html

if it still gives errors after you tryed the method in his thread then you might want to try and triangulate your model so you making sure you don't have any N-gon's left. If you have no idea what an N-gon is. it's basicly a face with more that 4 vertices's and this will cause a lot errors in your model if you don't get rid of them.

also make sure you have correct UV's (aka your mapping job) on your model becuase if there are still some UV's outside of the 1-0 texture space it might also create some errors.

well hope this help and good luck ^^

QFT - I followed this guide and was swinging around my custom made sword in less then 2 hours!

Thanks a lot +rep for your help.