3/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[1.12.1] How to replace hairstyle with new one

Is it possible to replace a specific hairstyle with a barbershop-only hairstyle, and if so how do you do it?

I'm hoping it's as simple as replacing a texture file (probably one of those gobbledygook "baked" textures), in which case it's just a matter of finding and swapping out the old texture. But maybe it's more complicated than that, can anyone clue me in? Thankya.

[1.12.1] How to replace hairstyle with new one
    [Soul Eater]'s Avatar The God King of Tails
    Thanks G/R
    3/22
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For 1.12.1 I remember vaguely something about DBC editing. Each hairstyle got an ID and you needed to swap those ID's out. Unfortunately it is not as simple as swapping textures because that would mean replacing only the color file instead of the model file. Imagine replacing the texture of a dragon with the texture of a tiger - you just swapped the colors but not the actual model.

Your best bet is to look up the old DBC guides which are somewhere in this sub area. Granted it has been a long time, so I guess you should check topics made between 2010 and now. Or even younger.

Do the impossible, see the invisible
    Row row, Fight the power.

3. Thanks leeviathan (1 members gave Thanks to [Soul Eater] for this useful post)
    leeviathan's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    3/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoot, nothing like editing a DBC file to help me squirt blood from my eyeballs. Thanks for the pointer nonetheless!

leeviathan's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    3/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progress report: swapping hairstyles is super easy, the DBC is well documented and the edit is simple to do; you just open CharHairGeosets.dbc, find the row that corresponds to your race/gender/hairstyle and change the number in the hairstyle field.

However, adding hairstyles is super hard. I used Spik96's WotLK-to-Classic converter to convert the WotLK NightElfMale.M2 model to Classic, which worked except that the "eye-glow" geoset didn't translate to the new M2. The model has the new barbershop hairstyle geosets, but I'm at a loss for how to swap them in. The WotLK version of CharHairGeosets.dbc doesn't seem much different than the Classic version; it doesn't reference the new hairstyles. I tried winging it by writing in a new hairstyle number but that didn't work unfortunately (bald character). There's a BarberShopStyle.dbc file that seems to exclusively deal with the new hairstyles, but I haven't been able to figure out a solution.

prohairtie's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoot, nothing like editing a DBC file to help me squirt blood from my eyeballs. Thanks for the pointer nonetheless!