20/20
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to ensure you never get sent spam / scam email

It surprises me how few people actually do this, it's something I've been doing for a while.

Create a new gmail / live / yahoo / what ever free email account. Name it something specific like "[email protected]" (assuming unholy is your first name). Easy to remember and easily identifiable (if you use like 6-7 email accounts daily like I do).

Go to Battle.net and change your registered email to the [email protected] email account.

All you need to do now is never ever enter that email anywhere but on the official gmail site, battle.net site or in your wow login screen. It's impossible for anyone to ever then send you spam or scam emails unless you have a keylogger and so on.

How to ensure you never get sent spam / scam email
    gippy's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    293/139
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something i had to do, kept getting my hotmail account locked due to someone spam guessing my password + all the random:

'You have been unchosen for free mount in our server please click link and verify credit email' type emails, really bad, sometimes when i see them wrote out like that i think why do they even bother.

hp94's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That does reduce the amount of spam, but I have a WoW specific email that no one knows about, never been seen anywhere, etc. I still recieve emails and phising attempts.

EDIT: I think the accounts names are sold to companies, that happens with free emails alot so I've heard.

longbeards's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, i meant to send this as a pst. SORRY!

sphero's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This wont stop the spam. This is why:

Spammers use programs which build e-mail adresses from usernames they found on wow forums like these and many others around the world - also Websites related to wow and Guild Pages etc.. Then they just combine those names with every possible email provider and send them ...they also send these mails to small guild-sites since the big mail providers have a good protection against those spammers. (more or less).

If you really want to stop the spam, you need to have an unusual_username @ nothing_to_do_with_wow .com like adress (and not a big provider like gmail, hotmail etc.) and, as you already said, just use it for wow. Then you "might" have no more spam.

If it happens that you got one spam mail - then your adress is on a whitelist and will receive more and more spam. This happens to all adresses which dont send back an errormessage. because even if your provider filter spam messages, the spammer receives no error message - this will tell him that the mailadress exist and he will try to send more spam from other adresses which "might" not be filtered out. These adresses are often sold to other spammer / scammers.
    Last edited by sphero; 12-19-2010 at 06:02 AM.

Alex1234321's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a different email for my wow account, seems to be stopping the scam.

brayden123's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way of stopping the spamming is use messenger

Pancrazio6689's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off-Topic: @ Shao111 I love your Olympics Sig xD!

SirLando's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i do have 2 different mails, one for sign-ups with forums etc and the personal one. This where my paypal and blizz account registered and other important things that has money value with me.