Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to Spot Phishing Emails

Intro
    I've noticed a few new phishing emails being sent out and i didn't notice anything being said on the forum. So i wanted to start this thread which has all (or most) phishing emails out there and quickly talk about how they work and how to spot emails like this.
    A lot of the stuff i say in common sense but there are some who don't know. The main point of this thread is to list any phishers i come into contact with.

Account Monitoring

Dear customer, in our system recent monitoring accounts of all Blizzard . Your Account Login Successful tonight at 9:30pm form the 125.2.102 .* IP range
    , but our system shows the 125.2.102 .* IP range exists in a large number of hackers, as too many customer complaints, the
    125.2.102 .* IP range has been blacklisted. We are concerned about whether your account has been stolen, so, for the purpose of ensure your legal interests,
    We will be 24 hours after, suspended your account. If you have any questions please visit <SOME URL>
    Blizzard account monitoring system
    2010 Blizzard Entertainment. All rights reserved.
    So this one is pretty obvious, it's poorly written and if you click on the link the url is NOT worldofwarcraft.com. This one hopes to get you scared and login on their phisher website.

Asking for Account Info
    I don't have one of these in my inbox but I've seen it enough

Your World of Warcraft account is suspected of <DOING SOMETHING/BEING STOLEN>
    Please verify for account information by replying to this email with the following information:
    <LISTS ACCOUNT INFO THEY WANT>
    Reply to this email as soon as possible.
    Right so you don't see this one that often anymore but if you do, it's something like that. Sometimes the person that sends this is dumb and has the email as NOREPLY@... Pretty well know just thought i should mention it.

Battle.net phishers
    These two are somewhat new (to me atleast).

English speaking customers: Please refer to the start of this mail
    Para los clientes españoles: Por favor vayan hasta el fin de este coreo electrónico

An investigation of the
    Battle.net account *********@***.com has produced evidence that the account has been accessed by someone who is not allowed to use it. The account has been issued a 12-hour suspension to provide you with an opportunity to secure and regain access to it.
    No form of contact from you is needed as the account should automatically become available once the 12-hour suspension has elapsed.
    Further compromises of this account’s security may result in the account being disabled again. Please be sure to review the information below to help prevent future security issues:
    Account compromises are usually the result of the registered player of the account sharing his or her login information or playing on a computer that has a virus.
    Please remember that it is your responsibility to keep your login information confidential. Any account that is registered to your name may not be shared with anyone except for one minor, of whom you are acting as a parent or guardian. You are also responsible for every use of your login information, whether authorized or not.
    After you have successfully logged in to the Battle.net account, please go to the Account Management page and check your account status. For the Battle.net login page, visit
    <SOME URL>. For the Account Management page on the official site, visit <SOME URL>.
    It can take up to 24-hour for our system to send our Customer Satisfaction Survey . Customer satisfaction is a top priority here at
    Blizzard Entertainment, and we would like your feedback on the level of service you have received. Your response would be very much appreciated. If you have not received a survey within 24-hour of this message’s delivery, please check your Spam, Junk or Suspect Mail folders.
    For your own protection, we encourage you to keep the following security tips in mind when using any computer:
    - Keep current with the latest operating system and other software updates.
    - Make use of firewall protection if possible.
    - Regularly scan for viruses, Trojan files, and key loggers.
    - Be wary of "spoof" websites when downloading new software.
    For additional security tips and information, please visit the following sites:
    - Computer Security:
    Blizzard Support
    - Account Security: Blizzard Support
    - Unauthorized Account Access Policy: Blizzard Support
    Only the Account Administration team can address disputes or questions you may have about this action. To learn more about how we are able to assist you, please visit us at Blizzard Support.
    Regards,
    Account Administration

Blizzard Entertainment

Now the mix of real links and fake ones was new. Never seen that before. Still always check the url in your address bar when you click on a link from an email.

Greetings!
    This is an automated notification regarding the recent change(s)
    made to your World of Warcraft account. Your password has recently been modified through the Password Recovery website.
    *** If you made this password change, please disregard this notification. However, if you did NOT make changes to your password
    we recommend you Login verify your password:

http://www.wo1dofwarcraft.com/accoun...in-support.htm
    If you are unable to successfully verify your password .
    using the automated system, please contact Billing & Account Services at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499) Mon-Fri, 8am-8pm Pacific Time or at
    [email protected]. Account security is solely the responsibility of the account holder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives typically must lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.
    Regards,

The World of Warcraft Support Team Blizzard Entertainment
    Now i left the URL in this one so you can see what the URL might look like in the address bar. Most emails will have that changed so it will just say worldofwarcraft.com. Also note that the (although you can't see this) email was sent from [email protected]. The billing department doesn't deal with account issues.

So these are just the few that i've found in my inbox as of late. Feel free to pm me any that you come across. Or just leave it in a post ill add it to the main thread. If it's a repost sorry i looked and didn't notice anything like it. If it is ill delete it.

Edit 1

Gold Scammers

now i haven't gotten one of these myself but i did find a post in the scam help section the OP is HERE.
    Looks like gold scammers trying to infect your computer with a key logger or some sort. Just stay away from any attachments you get from people you don't know (DUH). Even if you don't lose your account it sounds as if it's never gonna stop and you'll have to delete the email address.

One last word about these emails. The best way to protect yourself is to have a antivirus that has phisher protection. I use Bit Defender and I've never been able to even get on one of the phishing sites I've come across. Buy it torrent it do whatever. Point is get it on your system.
    Last edited by ranso; 05-14-2010 at 04:24 PM.

How to Spot Phishing Emails
    mudkipz91's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    need helpneed help

mudkipz91's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed help please

trucmuche's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks , thanks , thanks

Zytan's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    another solution is to use Gmail! will actually warn you that the mail sent is probably not sent by the mail you see, in other words phishing mail, once you know its a pishing mail just mark it as spam and you wont get bothered again because its very possible to get another phishing mail from the same noob -.-

Anyways very nice for the people who arent really aware +rep