0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- The Blizzard Authenticator - Ultimate Security -

So, you've seen all of these threads with ways to protect your account, and have heard/seen the Blizzard Authenticator come up as a way of protecting your account. Well I'm here to give you my insight on this nifty device, why I got one, how I got one, and why it is so damn awesome. Even though I knew about them since they came out, I did not purchase one, and then the following took place:

About a month ago, my account AND my wife's account got hacked. We are both very adept to our PC's and keep them clean and reformat often. We don't fall for phishing websites, and don't download things that could be key-loggers heh. BUT somehow, we both got our passwords changed, and accounts ravaged. Whoever did it was using our toons to farm in Wintergrasp mining away over night. They raped our Guild Bank and person banks and all our gear. Luckily we were able to get all our stuff restored and our accounts re-secured. But after something like this happening, we were constantly changing passwords and checking our e-mail the second we wake up to make sure nobody hacked it again. Well now all that worry is completely gone, thanks to such a small simple device.

Well, back to the topic. Shortly after all this transpired, we decided to purchase a Blizzard Authenticator. After learning about it, and actually having one now, I can say 100% that this is WELL worth it and works GREAT! It truly is the BEST way to secure your account and will prevent your account from getting hacked via scams, phishing, keyloggers, etc. So let's get on with it, here is all the info you need to know about the Blizzard Authenticator.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -What IS the Blizzard Authenticator?
    The Blizzard Authenticator is an optional tool that offers World of Warcraft players an additional layer of security to help prevent unauthorized account access. The Authenticator itself is a physical "token" device that fits easily on a keyring OR it can be downloaded to a Mobile Phone and used accordingly

-How does the Blizzard Authenticator work?
    You must first associate the Blizzard Authenticator to the World of Warcraft account you play. Once the account has been linked, the Authenticator token will be required to log in to Account Management or to the game; when logging in, you will be prompted to supply a digital code generated by the Authenticator.

For more Official Info, visit the Blizz Authenticator FAQ located -Here-
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1: Where to purchase
    Only purchase a Blizzard Authenticator from the Blizzard Store directly. Depending where you live, there is an Authenticator for the USA, and one for Canada/Australia/New Zealand/Latin America. Use THIS link to visit the page to select which you will purchase

Step 2: Ordering
    For my example, we are purchasing a Blizz Authenticator for the USA. After adding it to the cart, you can expect to ONLY pay $6.50!! Shipping and Handling is FREE and there is NO tax. A very tiny price to pay for ultimate security. Once you add it to your cart, you'll need to log in to your account to purchase it. This does NOT attach it to your account, it's merely just to have info on who to send it to. Once your all done ordering you can expect it to take around 3-5 Business Days to arrive (There are no other shipping options), and there is no tracking available either. But it doesn't take long at all, I ordered mine on a Friday and received it Wednesday, pretty fast.

Step 3: Attaching to account(s)
    So you waited and FINALLY got your Authenticator in the mail! Well, first off, know that ONE Authenticator can be attached to as MANY accounts as you own, BUT you can't have more than one on a single account. I have 1 Authenticator on 3 different accounts I own, and I love it! Now, go to www.WorldofWarcraft.com/account/ and log in to the account you want to attach it too. Once logged in, there is a link on the main Account Management page that reads 'Blizzard Authenticator', click it. Then click the option to "Add Blizzard Authenticator" NOT the Mobile one. Then enter the codes it asks, and you're done!

Step 4: How to use it and more detail on how it functions
    Once you have the Authenticator and it is added and setup, it seems pretty simple to use it now. And it is! It has a button on the front of it, when pressed generates a 6-Digit Code that is used when your logging in game or into Account Management. This code does NOT replace your password or SQA, and each code is a ONE time use. Once it is used, you must generate a new one to log in again. From my experience, you CAN use the same code for around 30 seconds or so, which is good for multiple account users. But after 30 seconds to 1 minute, that code becomes invalid and you'll need a new one. It's as simple as that.

Step 5: Other Important Misc. Information
    -Keep in mind that an Authenticator CAN be removed from an account and re-added at ANY time. There is no restriction and it is not permanent.
    -If you have any problems with your Authenticator and need a replacement, contact Blizzard and they will replace it for FREE.
    -Why not just get the Mobile one for cheaper? Personally, I feel the physical Authenticator is MUCH more safe than the Mobile Auth for your cell phone. Plus what if your battery dies? Phone gets lost? There's too many iffy situations for my taste, and the physical Authenticator is nice and sturdy and safe for me!
    -Since each code generated by the Authenticator is invalid after a minute or so, it is almost impossible for someone to log into your account. They would have to keylog it and use it the instant you do, and even then, after logging out they cannot log in again unless they keylog a new code LOL! And the security process for removing the Authenticator requires TWO new codes to be generated, so this is TRUE ultimate security.

I hope this sheds some light for those who don't yet have a Blizzard Authenticator, and will persuade you into getting one. Although I personally will still keep my own security measures on my accounts, buying this has made my worries go from 100% to 0%. Don't wait until your account is compromised to get this, it's so much of a hassle to get everything restored the way it was. Please feel free to leave any comments/questions/feedback or even additional information. Thanks and be safe!

- The Blizzard Authenticator - Ultimate Security -
    Snype's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome ! Rep+

lag's Avatar The ERP Chicken
    Thanks G/R
    5/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this post is in the right section, but I know what you mean. I'm rather computer literate myself as is my mate. We've never been compromised but after seeing several friends, guildmates and the like have their accounts ganked it made me wonder. Some of my friends work at fortune 10 companies, as network security people none the less. Didn't phase me quit enough though.

Very recently an officer that was given full access to the guild (only him and the guild leader had full access) was got ganked and the guild was wiped. We were restored quickly, but I purchased authenticators right away.

Best thing I ever blew cash on.

On a happy note though, the GMS erroniously restored one of his characters to have 450 Enchanting and 450 Jewelcrafting... when he just had mining and skinning before. xD

Marlo was here || idusy was here cause he feels left out || Im in ur sig , shardin ur letters - Flying Piggy || Errage was here- Wait, what? || ''Edge was here'' imo =P || Dragonshadow's name makes this too long |2d is hot|

Aldun's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I ofcourse knew about this all the time, but I download enough stuff knowing that I might get hacked. You convinced me to buy one now, gonna rape you twice for that.

Edit: damnit, they only accept Creditcards..
    Last edited by Aldun; 10-07-2009 at 03:03 PM.

SpaZMonKeY's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to help everyone. I figured this would be the best section since it's now more of a scammer prevention... And lot's of scamming involves phishing etc. And DAMN I tried posting this like a week ago lol, just now got approved

Originally Posted by Aldun View Post
    Actually, I ofcourse knew about this all the time, but I download enough stuff knowing that I might get hacked. You convinced me to buy one now, gonna rape you twice for that.

Edit: damnit, they only accept Creditcards..
    Well, get a friend with a CC to buy it and give em cash! Or get a refillable MasterCard from a gas station. I forget what they're called.... 'Green Dot' I think? Either way, it's a no-brainer for security!

pavaccar's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works like a charm

Confidence's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been using the Blizzard Authenticator since they first came out and I love mine!

_TheMaster_'s Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow nice looks very good +Rep

jackus's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just dont download shit on your pc.

Been playing for years and years, got banned alot sure, but hacked? No.

Dont drink and drive.

Dont download crap and play

lag's Avatar The ERP Chicken
    Thanks G/R
    5/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one gets "hacked". Anyone who gets their account ganked did some stupid shit and most likely deserves it.

Almost five years in WoW with no problems, but with the authenticator it's one less thing to worry about. IMO $6 and now I don't miss out on a weekend of WoW

Marlo was here || idusy was here cause he feels left out || Im in ur sig , shardin ur letters - Flying Piggy || Errage was here- Wait, what? || ''Edge was here'' imo =P || Dragonshadow's name makes this too long |2d is hot|

SpaZMonKeY's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by lag View Post
    No one gets "hacked". Anyone who gets their account ganked did some stupid shit and most likely deserves it.

Almost five years in WoW with no problems, but with the authenticator it's one less thing to worry about. IMO $6 and now I don't miss out on a weekend of WoW
    Exactly... And like I said, I NEVER download stupid shit, fall for phishing sites, reply to retarded fake e-mails etc etc... Yet somehow someone got a hold of mine and my wifes... It's possible my wife did something, but she is also very adept to these things... But either way, it's no worry for me now

SUUPERSTAR's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could had used the free way iphone mobile authenticator and it's free btw

Gash's Avatar Evil Elite Gash!
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it works for any mobile now btw
    VAH.

Blizzhaxer's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing that keeps me from getting one is there is no light for it. I play in my room with the light's off about 99.9% of the time. So I would need a lamp or something so I could see the code to put it in.
    Exploration: To go where the Game designer thinks you don't know about!

2dgreengiant's Avatar ★ Elder ★

Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was debating on if i should get an authenticator or not as im most likely to lose it P
    If you need me you have my skype, if you don't have my skype then you don't need me.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast