0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Guide] Blizzard Authenticators

Well these blizzard authenticators have been out for quite some time now-- but nobody here has really written up a guide on them, not said a whole lot about them

So here is my GUIDE ON BLIZZARD AUTHENTICATORS in reference to account scamming mostly

WHAT IS A BLIZZARD AUTHENTICATOR?

A blizzard authenticator is a small device that can be purchased directly from the Blizzard store (when they arent sold out). This device allows the user to generate a random number everytime they login that is used as a secondary password. So basically you will still need to enter your own password- but you will be prompted to enter a secondary password from the authenticator as well to be granted access to your account- both in game, as well as to the account management page on Blizzard's website.

HOW CAN THE AUTHENTICATOR NEGATIVELY AFFECT SCAMMERS?

Well it can negatively effect scammers in one basic way-- your pretty much never going to be able to gain access to an account with an authenticator connected to it-- I have done quite a bit of research on them over the past weeks and there is no way the code will be cracked- it doesnt seem to spit out the code in any particular order-- it is connected to the account and it generated 1 number that the account recognizes (different every time and only valid for about 5 minutes). I have tried making a generator that does the same thing and failed miserably-- maybe someone with more leet hacking experience could make it-- but I really doubt this because it doesnt seem to be a very obvious pattern.

Also in regards to that same subject- recalling the account via telephone is impossible as well-- I have tried pretty much every approach to recalling one of these accounts and it is very difficult-- I thought I could do it by telling blizzard I lost the authenticator- NO GO... the wanted me to fax in proof that I purchased that particular authenticator, and the only way to proove I was the one who purchased it would be to know the serial number and forge a document-- but there is no way of knowing the serial number without in fact being the original purchaser.

HOW CAN THE AUTHENTICATOR POSITIVELY AFFECT SCAMMERS?

Though the authenticator can inhibit and restrict scammers in many ways-- it can also be equally beneficial. I was able to basically hijack an account from its original owner and so far (6 weeks) they haven't been able to get it back

If you scam an account (All you really need to know it Username/Password, and SQA) and put a freshly purchased authenticator on it of your own-- the Original Owner of the account has no way of getting the account information back! They cannot call in and change any information without knowing the serial number of their authenticator, and they cannot get the authenticator changed because I am the only one who knows the serial number. This is a huge flaw on Blizzard's part becuase instead of transfer/banning accounts like we do currently ($65) we will now be able to simply add an authenticator to any scammed account ($6) as soon as they become more readily available.

THE ONLY WAY TO REMOVE A BLIZZARD AUTHENTICATOR FROM A WoW ACCOUNT IS TO FAX IN PROOF THAT YOU WERE THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OF THAT PARTICULAR AUTHENTICATOR-- THIS IS THE ONLY WAY AND CANNOT BE DONE WITHOUT KNOWING THE CORRECT SERIAL NUMBER, YOU WILL HOWEVER NOT KNOW THIS INFORMATION WITHOUT IN-FACT BEING THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER OR SOMEHOW PHISHING/DATA MINING THIS INFORMATION

So basically the authenticator is both a bad thing and a great thing to us scammers- it can make an account un-accessible to us, and it can also make an account un-accessible to its original owner. It all depends on who gets there with a fresh serial number first- I reccommend to any scammer- BUY AUTHENTICATORS anytime you see them available, I think once they become more widely used by scammers they will either be changed or a new method for anti-scamming will come into play. Buy them and use them while you can!

ALSO KEEP IN MIND THAT YOU CAN USE ONE AUTHENTICATOR FOR AN UNLIMITED AMOUNT OF ACCOUNTS-- BUT YOU CANNOT PUT MORE THAN ONE AUTHENTICATOR ON A SINGLE ACCOUNT-- I DO NOT RECOMMEND PUTTING MORE THAN ONE SCAMMED ACCOUNT ON AN AUTHENTICATOR HOWEVER AS IT LEAVES A LINK BETWEEN EVERY ACCOUNT YOU HAVE SCAMMED-- MAKING IT SO WHEN ONE GETS CAUGHT, THEY ALL DO

EDIT: NEW INFORMATION HAS JUST INFORMED ME THAT BLIZZ AUTHENTICATORS CAN NOW BE ORDERED IN NUMEROUS COUNTRIES OUTSIDE THE USA-- FOR AN ADDITIONAL SHIPPING FEE OF COURSE :-) THIS IS GOOD NEWS

WoW, Scarcraft2 on battle.net and the future diablo 3 accounts can all be protected with the same Authenticator. But you can’t have two authenticators protect the same account twice.

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES OF BLIZZARD AUTHENTICATORS

this is the screen that pops up when an authenticator is placed on an account

here is are some pictures of an authenticator

I WILL ADD SOME OF MY OWN PICS AS SOON AS I GET BATTERIES FOR MY CAMERA- BUT UNTILL THEN IF ANYONE HAS ANY ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS- OR ANYTHING TO ADD TO THIS THREAD... Feel free to post here or to PM ME as well!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by 7itanium; 10-01-2008 at 03:39 AM.

[Guide] Blizzard Authenticators
    Verye's Avatar The WoW Lawyer
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to let you know, effect is a noun, not a verb. You're looking for "affect."

Other than that, great and helpful guide. I recommend you also bold/highlight the part where Blizzard explains what you need to do to remove it from an account.
    Link to my guide: https://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-g...rd-policy.html | I'm retired, please don't PM me. Thanks.

xAnGelx Toodlez's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice, I love this guide, +rep, I'm just trying to find out a way to get a Blizzard authenticator, Ill do anything if someone can get me one, I just scammed a level 70 that is insane in Gear and I would love it if someone can help me out. Can we talk about it withen PM. Thanks

Chrommie's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too bad it's limited to only some contries

7itanium's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Done-- thanks for the feedback and spell check lol

xAnGelx Toodlez's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can anyone possible share with me a Blizzard Authenticator, Or will it not work that way, and What is the purpose with the 10 digit code, Then you enter a 6 digit code, Does this enable the password is only use able on one account as in the Blizzard authenticator purchase site it says, This one time use password. Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks.

zoidberg891's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks awesome lol +rep you for. Im going to buy one for my acquired account. edit: god damn it they are sold out...can you buy them from any stores? or only online D:? Also how easy is it to replace the battery? if it ran outta juice...
    Last edited by zoidberg891; 09-05-2008 at 05:02 PM.

7itanium's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by xAnGelx Toodlez View Post
    Can anyone possible share with me a Blizzard Authenticator, Or will it not work that way, and What is the purpose with the 10 digit code, Then you enter a 6 digit code, Does this enable the password is only use able on one account as in the Blizzard authenticator purchase site it says, This one time use password. Anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks.
    Every single time you login to the account the number is different-- you press the button on the authenticator and it generates a number that is only valid for about 5 minutes-- after that one login the number expires and you have to input a new 10 digit number by hitting the button again

therefor it is impossible to share an authenticator with another person unless you lived in the same house or something

7itanium's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it amazes me how little people have to say on the subject

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sorta odd that no one feels so happy about it...you could make an account even more irretrievable if you permalock/permaban/authenticate the old account lol.

dirtyd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think the whole point of getting the RID is so you dont have to transfer the toons to a new account so there is no reason to perma ban the old account... put the RID on the scammed account and it makes it that much harder for the OO to get it back... good idea

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I know that but I would still xfer to ensure that it stays mine. And the triple lock would make it that much harder for the OO to recover

7itanium's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes you could authenticate the account, and THEN ban it-- would be secure forever lol

Smallfry's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good idea, but I don't think they sell them in Australia

It's not ego if you actually are that awesome.

sk8erevan's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well since i doubt the authenticator is hooked up to a internet system so its more of a random code that your account will accept. Which doesnt seem right because it would be to easy to crack. But then they would totally lose money selling things for 6 bucks that let you send data to there system and vice versa. Very interesting indeed.
    PM me anytime for requests on anything you need. I will be more then happy to code for a couple people a week too.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast