0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Software Multiboxing Banned in World of Warcraft Retail/Classic

Blizzard finally pulled the trigger and software input-based multiboxing has been banned.

Policy Update for Input Broadcasting Software

However, this only applies to input broadcasting software "which allows a single keystroke or action to be automatically mirrored to multiple game clients", because of the abuse by botting and other automated gameplay.

In a follow-up update to their support section regarding this new change, they state that Multiboxing is still permitted, but you can't use software based input mirroring.

"Multiboxing, or playing multiple World of Warcraft accounts at once, is not a violation of our Terms of Use. Please note, however, that use of input broadcasting software may result in account penalties." - Multiboxing - Blizzard Support

This means that multiboxing can still be done through hardware multiplexers like before ISBoxer and the others arrived on the scene.

Software Multiboxing Banned in World of Warcraft Retail/Classic
  2. Thanks QtDemon (1 members gave Thanks to Daeity for this useful post)
    Smitten's Avatar i want to believe who even plays wow anymore 🤔
    CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    909/1036
    Trade Feedback
    5 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not be surprised if they decide to crack down on anything hardware based as well, as the spirit of the new prohibition is essentially "one keystroke = one action on one client".

Either way, a sad day for multiboxers but a necessary move for the long term health of the game with how badly some realm economies have been messed up with Moonkin+BM open world farming & Tauren Druid herbing.

Augury13's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    424/74
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Smitten View Post
    I would not be surprised if they decide to crack down on anything hardware based as well, as the spirit of the new prohibition is essentially "one keystroke = one action on one client".

Either way, a sad day for multiboxers but a necessary move for the long term health of the game with how badly some realm economies have been messed up with Moonkin+BM open world farming & Tauren Druid herbing.
    They better not touch my _keySpam : (

QtDemon's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    50/14
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do we know when this becomes active?

Daeity's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right away. But at first it will be warnings, and they won't start the bans yet until a suitable time.

Most Blizzard users completely misunderstood their message so they are mass reporting all multiboxers now. But, multiboxing is still permitted, and it's just the broadcasting software that's not allowed.

7. Thanks QtDemon (1 members gave Thanks to Daeity for this useful post)
    BlizzCDKeys's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/1
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is kind of end of an era

If I understand this correctly, all artificial input is now actionable. Basically like OW.

Automating gameplay just got much, much, much harder.

Also Chimpeon is out the door

QtDemon's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    50/14
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was using AHK to prevent minimized accounts from going afk, any suggestions on an alternative or is there not one?

TehVoyager's Avatar I just love KuRIoS
    Thanks G/R
    85/470
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of an odd sentiment to have on this forum, i know, but my opinion on this is

git rekt

i've always disliked multiboxing players. "look, i can throw gobs of money at a problem and be better than you". kind of a crap mentality.

(don't post things I post to Patreon.)

djshell's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use AHK to send input to multiple windows, but the input is not mirrored. Does anyone know if I will be affected by this? Or in other words, what will the method of detection be?

Also, how are they "notifying people" ? Is it through in game mail or email?

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by djshell View Post
    I use AHK to send input to multiple windows, but the input is not mirrored. Does anyone know if I will be affected by this? Or in other words, what will the method of detection be?

Also, how are they "notifying people" ? Is it through in game mail or email?
    So, they've always been able to detect software broadcasters like AHK and Innerspace (ISBoxer) but they have never acted on it. They already know you're using AHK essentially, so it doesn't require other players to notify Blizzard. If players witness multiboxers in action, usually they just right-click + report + cheating. But, Warden is now actively monitoring for this type of software and was ignored up until now. I would recommend that you not use the software, or find another way to use it like through a remote window.

Many of these tools will start finding methods to avoid detection as well.

djshell's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Daeity View Post
    So, they've always been able to detect software broadcasters like AHK and Innerspace (ISBoxer) but they have never acted on it. They already know you're using AHK essentially, so it doesn't require other players to notify Blizzard. If players witness multiboxers in action, usually they just right-click + report + cheating. But, Warden is now actively monitoring for this type of software and was ignored up until now. I would recommend that you not use the software, or find another way to use it like through a remote window.

Many of these tools will start finding methods to avoid detection as well.
    Thanks a ton man! clears up a lot for me. I assume because of the amount I use AHK I will receive a notification... has anyone experienced that yet? And if so can you let me know how they contacted you? (i.e. email, in game, etc...?)

Morinoka's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    15/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Guys,

only software is banned right? what about KVM Hardware like this. 4 Port USB Keyboard or Mouse Multiplier/Multicaster, sends data to many PCs simultaneously ?

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Morinoka View Post
    Hey Guys,

only software is banned right? what about KVM Hardware like this. 4 Port USB Keyboard or Mouse Multiplier/Multicaster, sends data to many PCs simultaneously ?
    Correct, software assistance is OUT. But, hardware assistance is technically still permitted by their policy.

The problem with software assisted tools is that they can be automated by bots, so proper multiboxing was collateral damage. However, hardware broadcasting requires a single person to operate and would not be possible through a bot. So, it's a good way to guarantee a single person is fully controlling everything and multiboxing properly.

However, this comes with a caveat. In the end, it all really depends on the GM.

Here is what's going to happen:

- You're using hardware multiboxing, which is perfectly acceptable within their policies.
    - But nearly every player is going to report you. 99% of users did not understand their policy change, and they believe multiboxing is "illegal" now. (I hate it when people use the word "illegal" when it's just a company policy.)
    - The automated system might ban you right away because of these mass reports. And it's very difficult to speak to anyone directly, while most of your appeals will fail.
    - The constant reports and bans will happen so often that it will become a very frustrating experience trying to explain that you're hardware multiboxing each time.
    - If you are reported for "illegal" activity and a GM responds (not their automated system), it really just depends on them. They work in call centers, paid minimum wage, and their training is 3 days long. How many of them do you expect to understand the difference between hardware and software multiboxing? Not many. And many of them will just be lazy, and ban without ever reviewing your evidence.

Although Hardware Multiboxing is allowed in their policy, it's complicated. You'll be dealing with idiots everywhere.

My best recommendation in that case is: hardware multiboxing so that Warden and other systems won't detect any software assisted tools. Then, keep your multiboxing hidden if you can. Perhaps put on a /DND message explaining that you are hardware multiboxing which is allowed (in case they whisper you or a GM contacts you.) Or, even put in a very simple link to a website that fully explains your setup, has pictures, describes what you're doing, and include all policies and evidence. If anyone looks it up, there's no reason for them to act.