Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about Updating Thread Titles

Hi guys,
    I created my first Thread the other day and have been trying to update the Title of my Thread here:
    http://www.mmowned.com/forums/wow-gu...-09-event.html

I've changed it using the Advanced Edit Tool in my actual Thread, but it will not show up in the Main Forum thread listing. It still shows up as "Pilgrim's Bounty Event (quick & dirty HORDE info for new '09 Event)" even though I have edited it to read as " Pilgrim's Bounty Guide (New '09 Event)" in my actual Thread. Why won't this update both titles?

I've searched around and have read something about "tagging" your Threads, but I have no idea how or why to do that. I've also searched for where to ask a question like this and am quite unclear where to do that also. I tried posting a Thread in the Suggestions section only to have it "soft" Deleted by a Mod. suggesting I try here.

I also found What not to suggest, and how to make a suggestion. in the Suggestions section of the Forum:
    Originally Posted by Apoc
    Things not to suggest:
    1. Changing forum titles. (See the explanation of Google below)
    A quick explanation on how Google (and other sites) index websites:
    Google (GoogleBot, bots, spiders) periodically crawls websites to index content. (The stuff you see when you search Google, is the direct result of crawling web pages for their content, and URLs) As all of you can see, MMOwned and FPSOwned use something called SEO (Search Engine Optimization). It's blatantly apparent from the URLs you see while browsing both sites. This turns 'garbled' URL names, into easily read (by humans, and bots) URLs. (For example, mmowned.com/forums/suggestions/ is actually something like mmowned.com/forums/index.php?f=152. Big difference don't you think?)

Google (being the largest search engine on the internet), penalizes websites that have multiple content, and a lot of 404s. (Unreachable pages) So, if we were to change the Suggestions section, to Site Suggestions, the URL would be, forums/site-suggestions/ instead of forums/suggestions/, which would not only cause 404 errors (gracefully handled by vBulletin in the form of the wonderful 'Page not found' page), but also multiple content in the eyes of Google, and other search engine spiders. This not only penalizes MMOwned and FPSOwned with multiple content, but also changes the old indexed pages, into those lovely page not found pages, which not only lowers site traffic, but also lowers whats called Page Rank. (Page Rank is just how Google ranks certain pages on certain topics and content)

So, in short, changing URLs to different pages, or creating multiple pages on the same content (a result of the previous) will hurt MMOwned and FPSOwned more than you think.
    Does this also apply to Thread Titles???...
    I started a New Thread, the original Title I gave it seems to be final.
    I can Edit/Update my Thread Title in the actual Thread itself (using the Advanced Edit tool), but it will not Update the new Thread Title in the Main Forum section.

Thanks in Advance
    Last edited by N00bking; 11-10-2009 at 11:02 AM. Reason: updating Title

Question about Updating Thread Titles
    Forever's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can do it for a while after creating your thread by double clicking the area right of the link (as seen from the forum section index), if it's too late for that then ask someone with mod power

Dragonshadow's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Forever View Post
    you can do it for a while after creating your thread by double clicking the area right of the link, if it's too late for that then ask someone with mod power
    This, iirc there is a timelimit on thread name editing, after that time has passed you have to get a mod to edit it for you.
    Look at your post, now back to mine; Now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate content, it could look like mine. Look down, backup, where are you? You're scrolling through threads, reading the post your post could look like. What did you post? Back at mine; It's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again and the reply is now diamonds.

Anything is possible when you think before you post. The moon is shrinking.

N00bking's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow I just tried it here with no problems whatsoever, but I still can't do it with my other Thread...

Forever's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    too late for that thread then, ask a mod

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It also depends on the forum I think. Apparently you can edit it in some sections but not others.
    Also try double-clicking to the right of the thread name in the forum index (in the same "box" as the thread name) see what happens
    Look at your post, now back to mine; Now back to your post, now back to mine. Sadly, it isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate content, it could look like mine. Look down, backup, where are you? You're scrolling through threads, reading the post your post could look like. What did you post? Back at mine; It's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again and the reply is now diamonds.

N00bking's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Dragonshadow View Post
    This, iirc there is a timelimit on thread name editing, after that time has passed you have to get a mod to edit it for you.
    What is the reason for that? It's caused a lot of headache. Why cant the time limit be extended or removed?
    (btw, I was posting my last post as you posted yours)

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by N00bking View Post
    What is the reason for that? It's caused a lot of headache. Why cant the time limit be extended or removed?
    (btw, I was posting my last post as you posted yours)
    Yea I know I don't like it either.
    Unfortunately I have no power over that 8D

Its probably something to do with SEO so your thread title doesn't change constantly, screwing something up with google or somethinganother

N00bking's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all

It also depends on the forum I think. Apparently you can edit it in some sections but not others.
    Also try double-clicking to the right of the thread name in the forum index (in the same "box" as the thread name) see what happens
    Yeah someone else actually suggested something similar, but it doesnt work.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I'll go find a Mod.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by N00bking View Post
    Yeah someone else actually suggested something similar, but it doesnt work.

Thanks for all the replies.
    I'll go find a Mod.
    I'm right here and thats what I do xD
    I will attempt to record when I rename your thread xD

N00bking's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woo

I'm right here and thats what I do xD