Total noob wanting to research on ways to fully edit the outfits of custom NPCs menu

User Tag List

TheLostSeeker's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Total noob wanting to research on ways to fully edit the outfits of custom NPCs

I am looking for a way I can help contribute towards finding a way to edit the outfits of custom NPCs by picking out the gear individually for each gearslot for the NPC. I have searched the forums thoroughly to see if it was possible (sadly, it's not...yet), and I simply want to begin researching a way to actually make it possible. Unfortunately, there is a problem I am having, which may be related to me being very new to this all.

I am having a very hard time understanding all the programs needed to do such tasks, such as what Database Editors are compatible with all the common Emulators. I believe this is because the information that everyone is used to dealing with is hardly helpful and very overwhelming to noobs like me. Is there any guides that anyone here can set me up with that will teach me the very basics of how to understand the basic concepts of how editing a private server works, plus a glossary of all the terms that I will encounter while studying such guides? This would be very much appreciated, as I am also drawn towards making a database for all the IDs for spawning NPCs and objects (which can be more of a curse at times).

In the long run, I hope that I can make a feature that, when implemented into a private server, enables a player to be able to switch between a Blizzlike and a newer playstyle whenever the player is in a town or city through the use of phasing that affects the entire realm. Basically, I'm looking to create two playstyles into one server in which the player has a choice of playing and leveling the more leisurely Blizzlike way or playing and leveling in a more "warlike" aspect, which may involve in players fighting beside a legion of friendly NPCs fighting it out with another legion of NPCs over objectives, such as holding control over a vital resource site that requires a whole workforce to harvest. Where the editing of custom NPCs' outfits comes into play is that I will need to edit the NPCs in the new phased part of the server so that the NPCs are more easily identifiable by players when they need to discern friend from foe in massive battles.

My expectation of what I would like to do is probably way high up there, but I hope that I can make something memorable besides only wishing it were one way. This may even involve the repetitive task of making a website that is dedicated to showing all the IDs used to add in objects to locations, but then again, that may be better than doing nothing and slowly going crazy over not seeing my part in private servers.

Please do not plagiarize my ideas or use them without permission.

Total noob wanting to research on ways to fully edit the outfits of custom NPCs
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, this is pretty easily done.

Look at how the mirror image spell is handled, and customise it so that the packet sends data for what items you want to display rather than copying the player.

TheLostSeeker's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did another search up on the forums to see what you are talking about and how it works, but I couldn't find anything. Besides that, I still need to study some basic guides on how modifying private servers work. Can you please refer me to something that I can look up to learn the basics?

It's somewhat funny how it's Fall break and I end up about to study how to work with private servers. Then again, it's more like finally doing something to work towards accomplishing a long and drawn out urge to see what I can make of WoW. Nevertheless, from what I've seen on these forums, I have a LOT of learning to do.

And also, sorry for rambling on about what I plan to achieve and such.

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The spell I was talking about modifying to your own needs, as a new function, is: Mirror Image Workshop - ArcEmu

As to modifying the core, most of the code is documented and other information can be found on the emulators wiki. If you need further assistance, there are IRC's available or forums to post on.

If you have some C++ knowledge, you'll find your way around hopefully. If not, no emulator developers will support you with core modifications and understanding it.