0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creating custom client side patches

Hey there guys. There doesn't seem to be anything anywhere on creating custom patches yourself so I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to do this. I know it's possible because private servers like EchelonedWoW and AMDWoW have both fixed the custom item problems that Blizzard have implemented in their client Me->:hf:<-Blizzard

What this patch does
    This new attempt to stop private servers (Which hasnt really worked...) causes any custom items that are made to cause the item to not be recognised as an item and thus preventing spells being available and they cannot be put on your action bar for quik access >.<

What I've done myself
    I've played around with the patches using MPQEditor to take a peek at what's inside. What I have found is that in the 'Data' folder in your wow directory, inside patch-3.MPQ is a folder called DBFliesClient. This folder contains a .DBC file called Item.dbc. The problem is that teh file is unreadable with notepad and so not so easy to edit, so then I used DBCtoCSV to convert teh file into a CSV (File has been extracted) and using Microsoft Excel I found that every single item in teh database is there (SUCCESS! ) Now the problem is that once you try and convert teh transformed CSV file back to a .DBC, it is unreadable by teh WoWclient (DOPE! :thefunney: ) Now AMDWoWs patch used teh very same patch-3.MPQ to fix this problem. However, EchelonedWoWs patch used a patch-4.MPQ which contained the same contents as patch-3. Im guessing that this means you can simply make an add-on patch to allow your custom items to be recognised without editing any official Blizzard patches. While in CSV form you can VERY simply add to teh list of items that are teh be recognised by the client. If anyone knows of a program which can read and then edit the .DBC file, PLEASE post here!!
    P.S. I am NOT going to replace them with retail items.
    P.S.S. I don't know if this is teh right place to post this, but I require HELP! :wiggle:

Thanks,
    TehUberKitten
    Last edited by TehUberkitten; 02-17-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Creating custom client side patches
    TehUberkitten's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will post a guide on what the columns in Item.dbc.csv mean soon.

Guide Posted -> http://www.mmowned.com/forums/emulat...ml#post1812618

Regards,
    TehUberKitten
    Last edited by TehUberkitten; 02-17-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Kiev's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically you need to create your own custom patch like patch-6.mpq, this is done with MyWarcraftStudio I THINK. Or another program, but check out the Model Edit section and it should guide you along!

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks for reply! I'll try MyWarcraftStudio now, and check out teh Model edit section and post back.

Thanks Much!,
    TehUberKitten
    Last edited by TehUberkitten; 02-18-2010 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your welcome!

You can put your own signature as a always signature without typing it using the User CP for signature.

The-Eradicator's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by TehUberkitten View Post
    What this patch does
    This new attempt to stop private servers (Which hasnt really worked...) causes any custom items that are made to cause the item to not be recognised as an item and thus preventing spells being available and they cannot be put on your action bar for quik access >.<
    Woah, I want some of what you're smoking.

If Blizzard wanted to stop private servers they could have done it a long time ago with the introduction of Battle.net. This wouldn't really stop emulation at all.
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
    Albert Einstein

Confucius's Avatar Panda of Worlds The Idiot

CoreCoins Purchaser Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    267/283
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're doing this just for custom items, don't, custom patches will reduce your server population, instead just replace your item with an blizz id you know that you won't be using and then delete cache, and it shall work perfectly .

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Conf said, because people dont tend to like to download there own stuff, its time consuming and not worth the effort.

Edit a item id like one of the most uncommon ones. Then remove it from loot and stuffz

Dynashock's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or use an item id from the list of unused item ids in the DBC files. You can find a list in the releases section.
    Ignorance is bliss.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    If you're doing this just for custom items, don't, custom patches will reduce your server population, instead just replace your item with an blizz id you know that you won't be using and then delete cache, and it shall work perfectly .
    'P.S. I am NOT going to replace them with retail items.'

I plan on letting the public implement their own custom items so that they may be used for role-playing purposes and from my experience on EchelonedWoW, they have MANY MANY items which would take up ALL or more of the retail items... Downloading a patch would be optional so it should'nt be a turn-away.

Originally Posted by Dynashock View Post
    Or use an item id from the list of unused item ids in the DBC files. You can find a list in the releases section.
    I shall look into this, thanks.

@Kiev

Tried MyWarcratStudio and I don't seem to be able to edit Item.dbc, get the error 'Fail to add string, please increase the string buffer'.
    Don't seem to be able to set a signature
    Need my 5x +Rep
    Last edited by TehUberkitten; 03-05-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically you need to edit it first, then add it to a custom patch, i cant rememebr the full process im afraid. There is a program for it though.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, thanks! I've finnaly got the patch to be successfully recognised by teh client!!! (WOOHOO :icon_headbang I tested to see if editing Item.dbc to now recognise a custom item would now work but it doesn't seem to have any effect, even after deleting meh cache.

P.S. The problem of teh actual Item.dbc file not being recognised by teh client all along was that when I used MPQEditor to add my edited version of Item.dbc, my 'rule' for adding .dbc files was set to 'Yes' under column 'Encrypt File', simply set it to 'No' using Compression Library = 'PKWARE Data Compression Library' and Wahey!! It is now readable.

+Rep For You Anyways!!

Till I'm Able To Set A Sig,
    TehUberKitten
    Last edited by TehUberkitten; 02-20-2010 at 07:18 AM.

thug123's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    works but it dosnt work to change display id if u replace so thats bad

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by thug123 View Post
    works but it dosnt work to change display id if u replace so thats bad
    You can simply download an add-on called CustomItemFix for that, search in Google

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank yuo, thank yuo, thank yuo!!!

My custom-items fix patch is now FULLY OPERATIONAL!!!! :icon_headbang:

How I solved it: I realised that the EntryID I had for my custom item, I thought was already in the patch (It was AMDWoWs patch I was trying to edit for I did'nt have a retail version) was not actually even IN the patch ! (My EntryID was 100005, the EntryID i was looking at was 1000005) So I simply deleted all of AMDWoWs part and added my line for 100005

Thank you much to Kiev for all your help !!!

P.S. I'm going to make a guide on this just incase anyone else wants to try this.

Guide Link -> (Guide Link Is Here When It's Posted ^^)

Many thanks,
    TehUberKitten
    Last edited by TehUberkitten; 02-22-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast