Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Solved-Kindof] You make the server.. and then what?

I'm really just wondering. We've built our server on dedicated servers, strong solid plans for making content, tweaking some core code from mangos to make stats cap at 70% for e.g. and building the funserver which atm holds over 1200 custom items. We built custom instances and all is well and good... BUT.

No players. Nada - Null. I have acquired strong knowledge, very short of mastering it of course, but still valid knowledge of the server, but I just lack the knowledge for gaining the playerbase's attention. Our few players congratulated us on the server, and they had great fun leveling and ploughing through the various content, but they slowly chat up to me and while amazed at our work, they say "I'm slowing down a bit from your server since it lacks players".

It becomes fairly frustrating; are there ways to deal with this? Does it just take time? (Been over 1 and a half months now) and does voting on toplists really mean anything? We ain't really budged player-wise, and we're all too willing to house various players now...

Lonehwolf
    P.S. Ain't providing website link since I don't want this to be an advert. Just trying to grab some ideas, here.
    Last edited by Lonehwolf; 05-07-2009 at 08:47 AM.

[Question] You make the server.. and then what?
    AngelSandy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say you have to start advertising now.
    Make your server known. Get a user on the Xtremetop100 list etc.

Lonehwolf's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by AngelSandy View Post
    I would say you have to start advertising now.
    Make your server known. Get a user on the Xtremetop100 list etc.
    We have our server on 12 toplists, www.wowstatus.net | World Of WarCraft - Private Server Status | your source for private WoW servers, had an ad thread on mmowned but it sank down (no clue how to boost it back up and we ain't allowed to create another thread) so I'm still at a loss as to what else I should do =/

Sounddead's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get yourself off of 12 toplists. Get on WoWstatus, xtremetop 100 and one other. put voting ads all over your site, and reward people for voting with items and such. On the ads on websites make sure you stress how your server is different and amazing, use flashy pictures and create a very well done video. Advertise on every emu website out there, and if you can, try to buy a gold account on Xtremetop100 and maybe advertising here on Mmowned. You'll have players in no time.

I live in a shoe

Abstraction's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have money? Advertise on the front page of MMOwned.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rephrase:
    You make the proper advertisement xD

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding money, I'm not able to spare that. And while the host might be able to, asking him such things is not in my character, he's already spending enough as it is.

One main issue is the vote system. We use MaNGOS, and we found no supportive votation systems out there, and we have no clue how to make one using php, since none of us has enough knowledge in that department.

The content development is about 14% through at the moment, currently consisting of 4 custom instances (about to open up once the mobs are scripted the loot tables are built), from 1200 custom items we just added the Token Gear so that makes it 1450 or so and 5 different leveling tiers.

I'm not completely sure, but I believe the content so far developed should be enough to attract most funserver players, and we have a completely blizzlike server which is at the moment rotting in peace with no players whatsoever

I guess the issue to tackle at this point is... is there some way to get ahold of a MaNGOS vote system using PHP which is not crackable while not necessarily automated? Or will we have to just skip on that for the time being?

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say, get away from Mangos but thats just me <.<

Dythzer's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why switch to something less good just because of no vote system?

@ Lonehwolf - Actually there is one, try this: Filebeam - Free Fast File Hosting
    It's a vote system for mangos created by "SUPERGADGET" at mangos forums. I have not tried it personally so can't help you, but maybe you can PM him if there are any problems.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Firefox won't load, what do I do?"
    "Format..."

That's not the way of helping a person We're using MaNGOS, we built beyond just "trivial" stuff on our server, and redoing all of that is out of the question. I have very basic understanding of PHP and it should be possible, unluckily I only got a hazy theory behind it, so I can't code it into practice...

Either way, MaNGOS or w/e wouldn't matter when it comes to grabbing players. I'm just enquiring on free, and solid ways of spreading the word.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Dythzer View Post
    Why switch to something less good just because of no vote system?

@ Lonehwolf - Actually there is one, try this: Filebeam - Free Fast File Hosting
    It's a vote system for mangos created by "SUPERGADGET" at mangos forums. I have not tried it personally so can't help you, but maybe you can PM him if there are any problems.
    Golden post, thank you very much for the post I'll give it a shot ^^

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sorry I guess its just personal preferences. But I don't like Mangos really. Would rather use Aspire-Heartstone or ArcEMU(If you are willing to stay on 3.0.9 which I personally can't see a problem with). But if you told me Firefox wouldn't load I would say, change to Opera, which I use :b

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah sorry I guess its just personal preferences. But I don't like Mangos really. Would rather use Aspire-Heartstone or ArcEMU(If you are willing to stay on 3.0.9 which I personally can't see a problem with). But if you told me Firefox wouldn't load I would say, change to Opera, which I use :b
    Opera? Nawww

If browsers were women - Sharenator.org Original

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pff, men and their silly jokes :b

Aznex's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mangos has improved alot in both performance and stability(they already were really stable). Its probably the best Emulator out there even if you're little experienced with any emulating at all. The sole reasons for peolpe to use Arcemu/Aspire are:

- Lua.
    - It's easier(!!) to create funservers.
    - It's more user friendly.
    - Some of the GM commands make more sense(But who the hell really cares if u know how to work with the mangos ones?)
    - There's probably more scripts out there for Aspire/Arcemu, and since most of the people totally suck at c++, they just go with what already exists.

For the rest mangos is probably way beyond the point of Arcemu/Aspire(And better for experienced people.( Unless u want an extreme funserver with lots of bugs) and on top of that, it saves u all the emu drama too.

Last edited by Aznex; 05-04-2009 at 02:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast