1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[GUIDE] How to: Become a GM

First off, I must stress, this isn't for people who just got into the private server scene. Also, I will update when I realize I forgot something or need to put something more in. This is a very basic, compact and short guide.

So you want to be a GM eh? Well this guide is for the more well known private servers (WoWScape, HSWoW, WoWTrance, WowFusion etc.) because it's what the staff of places like that will be looking for.

Step one: Get to know the community.
    What this means, is that upon joining a server, don't just go straight and apply for a GM spot, you will get very harsh criticism, I've witnessed it. Hang around for a month or a few weeks at before applying. If the server you want to be a GM for has forums, go there and start posting. Get to know the servers common bugs, where things are located etc. And ALWAYS, be polite, don't flame ever, if you must, do it in the most polite way possible (I.E don't say "FUK U NAB, U SUK LIEK SO HRD"). One more thing, if the server has a Ventrilo server, and you have a headset, log on and chat with others.

Some Don'ts*
    Never EVER pm a GM asking him/her to "hook you up" or "put in a word" unless you actually know them or have talked to them. Don't put in a ticket in game asking "can I b gm" or something to that extent.

Step two: Familiarize yourself with the commands.
    Basically, just know the commands for the type of server you're playing on (most larger/popular servers use Antrix/Ascent), you can find a list of commands for your emulator somewhere here or on other WoW sites like this. If you can, set up your own private server (the same emulator as the one you want to apply for) and practice spawning mobs, adding and looking up items, invisblility, make some macro's to experiment. Also, in case your server has donor items, look at them, and check out what the average DPS is for a weapon and the stats. When you've done that, head here:
    Weapon Creator - WoW Vendetta: Wage Your War
    or here:
    Armor Creator - WoW Vendetta: Wage Your War
    and familiarize yourself with making items. Stick within the limits of the previously made items. If you need a "Model ID" download this:
    RapidShare: 1-Click Webhosting
    As for entry ID's this is the items number, you cannot use an existing item id, so try for 99990 and up. There probably won't be any items with a 5 digit entry ID.

Some Don'ts* Be careful when it comes to using commands that can crash the server. I.E on Antrix/Ascent if you kick somebody and when they're offline you attempt to ban their character, it will crash the server (I know it recently did, I'm not sure if this has been fixed).

Step three: Compile a list of your skills.
    First I must let you know one thing. Do not lie, as some servers may require an interview if they like your application. Also be realistic. Include such things as how long you've been playing retail, how long you've been on the server, your preferred realm (some servers have more than one realm), your character & account name, why you want to be a GM, why you would be a good GM (because you know the community, are familiar with commands and if applicable, you know the custom items/services that are for sale and not along with their names & prices). If you have ANY experience as a GM previously, list it as well.

Step four: Create an application.
    Read up on HOW to apply, some places ask you to make a post in a certain section (MAKE SURE YOU POST IN THE RIGHT ONE!! I cannot stress how bad this would make you look if you didn't or if it says "DON'T POST APPLICATIONS HERE" at the top of the section), or to PM an admin with your application. Look around in the forum for an application format, if there isn't one, then just create a letter an application. Not like a resume, just a page to a page and a half with well written paragraphs explaining the things listed in step three. Make sure you PM your application to the correct person and that your server is recruiting/hiring GM's at the time. State that you're mature (if you are) and have a good temper (if you do). Remember, be serious, don't ever say "lol" or use chat speak in your application.

This is it, you've almost got your strings. Sit back and wait for a response from an administrator. If your application stands out from the others or fits the requirements, you have a good chance at getting that spot. Good luck guys.

Some useful downloads to help with commands/items etc:
    Commands/NPC ID's/Item ID's/Spell ID's
    Made by somebody here I think, if not posted by them (thanks, sorry I can't remember their name).

Ticket Mod

Antrix/Ascent GM Helper
    Last edited by jimmy2222; 10-04-2007 at 08:29 PM.

[GUIDE] How to: Become a GM
    Free Hugs's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: [GUIDE] How to: Become a GM

Ya... not that im downing this (Very good guide btw) its just that I have worked on most of those servers... well only WoWScape/WoWGasm... and they only accept GMs that they personally know nowadays... this would have worked say about 5-6 months ago

+rep for you efforts
    MMOKings - The #1 safest place to buy WoW Gold

jimmy2222's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I see how that is so for WoWScape because they are the number one server and very large at that. But there are still servers in the top 10 (and lower) that accept applications. And ty. But I see what you're getting at.

Free Hugs's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya... this would have been a great guide back a while ago hahaha

Nice Idea though
    MMOKings - The #1 safest place to buy WoW Gold

Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated with some links to files.

DJGonn's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice guide

Dalamar's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice guide, wont find a use for it myself but +rep for helping the newbies.

Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Also, anybody who has any questions, feel free to ask.