1/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fun servers, what we like and what we don't

I haven't seen too many threads like this in the recent history, and I wouldn't like to revive a old thread which would be pointless.. that said, let's begin.

I'd like to get a general consensus on what the population likes in fun servers. I recently decided to start a project with a few buddies from my past and I want to know what the good people of Ownedcore think. What do you look for in a fun server, is it customization, is it the quality of the server, is it the pve or pvp aspects? What is it that gets you, and keeps you playing?

For me I like the custom gear and custom tiers which players must work diligently to get, and must work as a team for some of the more 'complex' of encounters.

Any feedback whatsoever would be much appreciated, and if anyone has idea or would like to talk to me about perhaps joining up on a "team" of sorts, then perhaps that could be arranged. I'd love to have more people who share the same passion for creating fun servers as I do..

Thanks in advance for any feedback provided and insight.

-Found

Fun servers, what we like and what we don't
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer quality. I don't play private servers much these days as none I know satisfy my expected standards of emulation.

Gastricpenguin's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty soon that will all be changed harry! winky face.
    I've been working on a completely unique funserver with a level cap of 99. Here's a short list of what's featured:

-Unarmed combat can be augmented with chance on hit spells.
    -GMs can be slain (and loot can be taken).
    -Mobs that can drop loot will guarantee at least 1 item
    -Characters gain 5 stat points per level (25 free at start) and can be distributed into any stat.
    -Equipment drops into a chest on death for anyone to loot (Despawns after 8 minutes).
    -Free for all PvP ( can only be disabled out of combat and in town ).
    -Static EXP bar from 1 to 90 ( 1970 exp required per level ).
    -Any class can buy dual-wield / any armor or weapon proficiency / select passive bonuses.
    -Custom sets and set bonuses
    -Custom character creation & loading screens

These are all features that are currently implemented. I've made a few videos that illustrate some of these features.
    Last edited by Gastricpenguin; 07-16-2012 at 07:55 PM.
    Life Puzzler WoW - Website | Forums

Found's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    1/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent news Gastric, lovely to see you're still interested in emulation! I appreciate the feedback from you two, so far this is helping me get a good idea on what the community prefers, and @Gastric, I really really really love what you're trying to do that is quite unique and it really intrigues me. Looking at those videos, I really look forward to seeing more about this in the future.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My whole inspiration for this server is to make a completely unique funserver experience. I made another video showing off how Unarmed combat can be augmented by chance on hit spells here. I hope to have a fully playable server by the end of August, at which point I will release the server to the public.

Stige's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    7/13
    Trade Feedback
    1 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Gastricpenguin View Post
    I've been working on a completely unique funserver with a level cap of 99. Here's a short list of what's featured:

-Characters gain 5 stat points per level (25 free at start) and can be distributed into any stat.
    -Equipment drops into a chest on death for anyone to loot (Despawns after 8 minutes).
    -Any class can buy dual-wield / any armor or weapon proficiency / select passive bonuses.

These are all features that are currently implemented. I've made a few videos that illustrate some of these features.
    First time I am genuinely excited about a custom private server

If you need hosting for it don't hesitate to PM me
    Or you can add me on skype: wiuwiuwe

Only real suggestion would be to enable PVP everywhere, would love to play on a hardcore PVP server.

EDIT: Or make 2 servers, one where you can disable PVP like you said and one where PVP is enabled 100% of the time.

Just try to make the server so there is no insta-gibbing no matter what you play.
    And level restrictions on loot drops maybe, but not required really. Might just make leveling a bit tedious if people are griefing a lot
    Last edited by Stige; 07-18-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Super Unicum

1kaotik1's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Gastricpenguin View Post

Are we going to need custom patches i assume?

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by 1kaotik1 View Post
    Are we going to need custom patches i assume?
    Yep. Once my server is live (tomorrow), i'll write a launcher that will patch the game and clear cache, etc. New accounts will not be able to log in after creation. The launcher will ask for an account name, then let the server know the player has been updated, and can proceed to login.

Found's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    1/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am legitimately excited for the release gastric. Can't wait to see how it turns out

bone91's Avatar Sergeant Major
    Thanks G/R
    17/9
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like quality in funservers. More than anything else, actually. I dislike custom content with a passion.
    However, I mostly PvP, so I'm a big fan of balance. Adjusting balance with certain items is something, that I highly approve of, while none of these should be purely custom items.
    If you check the old Arena-Tournament out e.g. then things like removing profession requirements from items so everybody can use them was one of my ideas.

Something else I approve of, are alternative ways to achieve gear or alternative world pvp locations (like the Azshara crater used to be on some server I played on ages ago).
    I am also thinking of a pure PvP server for 1.12 right now that would allow players to choose from a huge range of items to PvP with. Mostly because I like the incredible variety that vanilla offers when it comes to items and specs, but not the old ranking system. At least not to earn something mandatory as gear (especially when it comes to competing with highend PvE geared people).

Edit: Alternative ways of leveling, say through different open PvP level zones and handing out new gear every 10 levels or so (maybe custom resilience on said items) are something I very much like to think about too. The boring questing (AND instant 70, 80, 85 etc) is something I don't want to put up with anymore. But the idea of players learning to PvP while levling sounds just very appealing to me.
    Last edited by bone91; 08-08-2012 at 03:13 AM.

koxymoxy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was thinking about stuff and this is what i got

the stuff i like/love to see:
    - solo progress
    - a small balance between hybrid and pure dps classes
    - no rollbacks or .save command in case of DCs
    - talent point cap, so you can plan it and not just put points in everything
    - a quest for imba gear that you have to farm a lots of mobs instead of 1 extremely difficult one
    stuff i hate:
    - donor items (simply kills the server if you can't get it as a regular player(imo you can't force the players to buy shit to have superior advantage))
    - useless events (jump event = make a zone for it || 1v1 events = you cant make balance therefore it's retarded (unless you make mirror matches))
    - lag spikes (constant lag is less painful than lagspikes)
    - 4564352347474562342654 upgrade levels where you need stuff to upgrade from endgame dungeon, solofarming, votepoints, donation points just to gain 11 attack power or 3 spelldamage
    - useless custom items (weapons with red ? || daggers with 1.00 attack speed, 2handlers with 1.00 attack speed || rogue items with spirit and parry rating)
    - too big moster healthpool gap while levelling (i.e. 90-100 mob dies in 1 hit, 100-110 mob dies in 30 hits) - considering that u dont have a vendor that sells new gear to give you the strenght
    - retarded amount of gold dropped (kills economy that may happen even on a funserver)
    - quest progression thru the custom content to get the maxlevel starting gear
    - main mall with pvp combat (talking about world pvp not duels)
    - custom weapons not providing correct items for different specs

and the most annoying shit i can find to make me to leave the server instantly: - NO CUSTOM THROWING WEAPON
    - saying rogues to just simply use hunter weapons is just simply retarded

-- I hope i could help, i would love to see a proper fun server