Thanks G/R
    4/0
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you develop a bot in a game engine like Unity?

I'm wondering if it's feasible to have a bot manager developed from within a game engine. You convert the environment or however you want to represent it to Unity and feed navigation/commands to your bots. I also saw that the asset store has recast/detour.

The thing I'm curious about is if it's possible to get good performance with steering and raycats for navigation.. basically an algorithm that determines a safe shortest path and using steering correction when it deviate's too much from the line or approaches obstacles. My concern is that doing basic pathing in Unity is easy, but when it has to stay in sync with WoW you are limited to sending keypresses and approximating everything and flying would be much more challenging than ground nav. Also is the raycasting simply too costly to use effectively? That is the other concern.

Can you develop a bot in a game engine like Unity?
    Veritable's Avatar OwnedCore News Correspondent
    Thanks G/R
    52/123
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it can be written in C# or Js, so as long as you have the managed dll's, you could do pretty much anything. There are already bots for wow programmed in C#, so I don't see why you couldn't do it.

Most of the bots that exist already have on-screen things though, so it would just be a matter of telling it to draw it in Unity. I don't know why you'd want to do it but... ya, you could I guess...

Scott McKay's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    4/0
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Veritable View Post
    Well it can be written in C# or Js, so as long as you have the managed dll's, you could do pretty much anything. There are already bots for wow programmed in C#, so I don't see why you couldn't do it.

Most of the bots that exist already have on-screen things though, so it would just be a matter of telling it to draw it in Unity. I don't know why you'd want to do it but... ya, you could I guess...
    Unity is a pretty friendly environment I guess. I want to make something that is like a relogger mimicking where the characters are. It could work with a client to show simple geometry/objects to setup your routines. Ideally do it so you never really play the game you just have a shared overworld that shows your bots on a map.

My aim is to have something that is like a WoW pokedex. You wouldn't have to log into your toon necessarily you could fly at whatever speed around the geometry or teleport, but it would be loaded with all the relative locations of everything to start making a profile while your bot is still doing something else. Then go back and add that to the bots tasks once you have your farm setup.

Can you get a 1:1 like this where with Unity make up a prototype with some pubic properties and tweak all the settings that you can incorporate based on the geometry and everything else you are able to pull from memory?
    Last edited by Scott McKay; 11-04-2016 at 05:30 AM. Reason: .