Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Determining who is in Raid group and or Party via memory reading

Hi There,

I have been trying to find ways to determine the names of players currently in my raid / party group via BlackMagic memory reading.

The one solution I thought of was to look in the text chat for "Player X has joined the raid group", and log each player X - however this
    line of information does not seem to come in when I read the text chat from wow's memory.

I am currently using the below code, but it does not bring any trade chat etc into my textbox.

Code:
    UInt32 chatStart = 0xAD79B8;
    UInt32 NextMessage = 0x17C0;

for (uint i = 0; i < 60; i++)
    {
         var baseMsg = chatStart + (i * NextMessage);
         string s = SMemory.ReadASCIIString(wow.ProcessHandle, ((uint)wow.MainModule.BaseAddress + baseMsg) + 0x3C, 0x200);

textBox1.Text += s + "\r\n";

Application.DoEvents();
    }
    Is there a way to do this (without reading chat), if yes, what is the offset im looking for?

Determining who is in Raid group and or Party via memory reading
    ddebug's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RE one of the RAID APIs to find out where/how it is stored in memory OR use a LUA wrapper to invoke them directly: World of Warcraft API - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

WiNiFiX's Avatar Banned
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Um - I have no desire to do this via LUA - I am in the memory editing section of the forums - please explain how this can be done via C# / AutoIt using BlackMagic to read the raid members from Memory.
    The API does not contain any offsets.

ddebug's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by WiNiFiX View Post
    Um - I have no desire to do this via LUA - I am in the memory editing section of the forums - please explain how this can be done via C# / AutoIt using BlackMagic to read the raid members from Memory.
    The API does not contain any offsets.
    Yup. You have no idea what I'm talking about, do you?
    Last time I was here, I believed that there was a rule against spoon feeding.

To find the offsets, I told you to RE (reverse engineer) the RAID LUA APIs to figure out how those APIs are designed and what they are doing to retrieve the information on your party/raid. You could look at the latest .IDB for this patch (which should make finding that API easy).

The other alternative (the smarter one, IMO) is to design your OWN LUA WRAPPER that you can use to call these LUA RAID APIs via your program (read values from the LUA stack). There is a lot of documentation on how to do this. Search!

WiNiFiX's Avatar Banned
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi thanks for the 2nd reply - it at least gives me a starting point, I had used IDA to open the wow exe, but I had not considered downloading the latest .idb (which I think I have somewhere).
    I will consider the addon solution, however perfer not to rely on addons, and my LUA knowledge is very basic.

I did google before asking the question, I ask questions when I hit brickwalls in my code.

Btw: there is no rule against spoonfeeding (http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/worl...-programs.html), this foum is here for people to ask questions regarding wow memory editing.

_Mike's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw: there is no rule against spoonfeeding (http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/worl...-programs.html), this foum is here for people to ask questions regarding wow memory editing.
    Now that's a convenient attitude. Don't like the section rules? Just refer to some other section's rules that better fit your needs.
    This forum is here for people to ask intelligent questions regarding wow memory editing.

http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/worl...ion-rules.html
    [*]Spoonfeeding;
    1. This section is not a copy/paste haven. Do not expect hand outs.
    2. If you complain due to lack of hand outs, your thread will be closed/deleted, and you will receive infractions.
    [*]Expectations (If you do not meet these do not post);
    1. Intermediate to expert knowledge of the language you choose to code in. (Common languages in this section are C++ and C#)
    2. You are expected to understand basic C++ datatypes, and other ideologies that come with C++, and native Win32 programming. (Pointers, the stack, etc)
    3. You should understand how to use common reverse engineering tools, such as IDA, OllyDbg, etc.
    4. If given addresses, or an ASM dump, you are expected to understand how to use that information. (Minor questions are allowed.)
    "what is the offset im looking for?" is not a good question to ask. It just makes you come off as being lazy.
    Go back and look at the lua functions ddebug hinted about, and if you are still having problems then come back and ask specific questions about it.
    It's not that we don't want to answer questions. We just don't want to answer questions for people who aren't putting any effort of their own in to it.

I will consider the addon solution, however perfer not to rely on addons, and my LUA knowledge is very basic.
    He didn't say to make an addon. The APIs are native functions which means they can be called directly without involving any lua programming.

Master674's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    2/23
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    API UnitInParty - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft
    API UnitInRaid - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft

Lazy way:
    Code:
    std::list<std::string> results = LuaHandler::Execute( "return UnitInParty(\"target\"); return UnitInRaid(\"target\");" );
    if( results.front() != "nil" )
    {
       // in party grp!
    }
    results.pop_front();
    if( results.front() != "nil" )
    {
       // in raid grp!
    }
    However LUA is slow. Thats why I would consider reversing that function.
    Last edited by Master674; 02-24-2012 at 02:06 PM.

Frosttall's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    16/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Master674 View Post
    However LUA is slow. Thats why I would consider reversing that function.
    Depends on which function you're hooking

To find the lua function can you try to search for the name of the function in the string window. Here's a how-to: http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/worl...ple-stuff.html ([Tutorial] How to find simple stuff)

But don't expect that anybody will give you a copy&paste solution. In every case should you use TOM_RUS's ida database, which is always in the first post of the current offset dump thread. It's very very useful while reversing <3

Master674's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    2/23
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Frosttall View Post
    Depends on which function you're hooking

To find the lua function can you try to search for the name of the function in the string window. Here's a how-to: http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/worl...ple-stuff.html ([Tutorial] How to find simple stuff)

But don't expect that anybody will give you a copy&paste solution. In every case should you use TOM_RUS's ida database, which is always in the first post of the current offset dump thread. It's very very useful while reversing <3
    luaL_loadbuffer with lua_pcall does the dirty job for me.

Frosttall's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    16/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Master674 View Post
    luaL_loadbuffer with lua_pcall does the dirty job for me.
    I'm talking about reversing the lua function to do it without injection. But it seems like that the threadopener doesn't even know what we're talking about.. He wants to write an addon Oo..

Cypher's Avatar Kynox's Sister's Pimp
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi thanks for the 2nd reply - it at least gives me a starting point, I had used IDA to open the wow exe, but I had not considered downloading the latest .idb (which I think I have somewhere).

I did google before asking the question, I ask questions when I hit brickwalls in my code.

Screw off, we are not your personal tutors. Re-read the rules and section description. This is an ADVANCED section and we do NOT spoonfeed. Come back when you've checked your attitude and you can demonstrate you respect the other forum members enough to actually do some work on your own rather than expecting others to do everything for you.