Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Question] Calling a method(some strange stuff?)

Hey again,

so this is about some problem i currently have while taking a closer look at how a game works.
    To be exact,i'm looking for the method to cast a spell
    it's a thiscall function with 2 arguments which both are const

so my problem in this now is the following:
    as the arguments are const i think i should give the spellid at the adresse given as argument(at least one of it),am i right here?
    so for this i'd have to allocate memory,write my id in there,move the arguments on the stack,set ecx to an instance of the class and call the function.

this is how theory goes,it partly works this way,i'm getting a nice "you don't have this spell" debug message ingame, so at least the way i'm calling the function seems to be right.
    Now, how would YOU go on? i'm sure that the consts are really constant as i had a hook on them once and for all different spells it gave me the same output.

i know that there are 2 adresses that, in the moment of casting, have the spellid as value(breakpointed the function and searched the memory then), but i can't find a static pointer to them at all.*

thanks for your help and sorry that it is not belonging to wow but more general
    my main reason for doing all this is to learn from it,that's why i chose a game without any kind of bot or hacks.
    streppel

*edit:
    i tryed writing those adresses too and giving them as arguments to the function but it dodn't work either
    Last edited by streppel; 05-29-2011 at 05:40 PM.

[Question] Calling a method(some strange stuff?)
    sitnspinlock's Avatar Elite User CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe if you post your code I can help you futher.. i cant seem to wrap my brain around that paragraph you just typed :P

tymezz's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not use Spell_C_CastSpell (from TOM_RUS dump)?

takes 7 arguments.. (spellID, unk, targetguid, unk, unk, unk, unk) and returns a bool. you can also use this function to cast an items on use spell effect.. (though i didnt look to see what all the arguments were)

edit: didnt know this was for a different game.. disregard this.
    Last edited by tymezz; 05-29-2011 at 07:49 PM.

streppel's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is what the function itself looks like
    i can read the classpointer to n3EngineClientAnarchy_t from setting a BP on the function and using a spell ingame,look at ecx register(this pointer is given there afaik) and finding an adresse in memory which contains this class,ok this works
    now i need to bring my spellid in somewhere
    tomorrow i'll write a hook for the function and find out what the parameters are, if they are static,what is on these adresses,if it's a pointer to a spell in the client(but being copied over to a constant place,that's how the game handles most of the stuff as i already noticed) etc
    sorry english isn't my mothertongue and so explaining difficult things in another language might lead into miscommunication :/

@tymezz sorry as i said it's not about wow here, so i can't nor would i use some finished stuff,the whole point in doing this is for learning(as written above )
    thx anyway

EDIT:

Fixed it
    giving the function it's pointers it works but passing my spellid etc has to be done some other way
    Last edited by streppel; 06-02-2011 at 01:07 PM.