1/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Question] Wow radar math?

Okay so real quick let me just say im not the best at math and i really hope i do not get flamed XD

Anyways, I want to convert the players xyz position to a 2d xy (0,0 and 100,100) position and then the surrounding objects as well. Basically i want to know how wow radars are made. Of course i already have the xyz pos of player and surrounding objects i just dont know how to go about translating it from 3d to 2d. And i used the magic of google and found nothing but then again thats what they all say.

Thanks very much in advance. I will as always contribute any knowledge i gain back to the community.
    Hi! My name is Devon and I’m an alcoholic. Moving on…
    https://www.ownedcore.com/forums/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-bots-programs/wow-memory-editing/319172-guide-how-make-wow-bot-complete-newbs.html

[Question] Wow radar math?
    reggggg's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ignore the third dimension? Wtf?

Syltex's Avatar Sergeant Major
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by reggggg View Post
    Ignore the third dimension? Wtf?
    He wants to convert world-coordinates to zone-coordinates.

MaiN's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/10
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by gononono64 View Post
    Okay so real quick let me just say im not the best at math and i really hope i do not get flamed XD

Anyways, I want to convert the players xyz position to a 2d xy (0,0 and 100,100) position and then the surrounding objects as well. Basically i want to know how wow radars are made. Of course i already have the xyz pos of player and surrounding objects i just dont know how to go about translating it from 3d to 2d. And i used the magic of google and found nothing but then again thats what they all say.

Thanks very much in advance. I will as always contribute any knowledge i gain back to the community.
    1. Find lower bound for X and Y
    2. Find upper bound for X and Y
    3. Add lower bound to all units
    4. Divide all positions by lower bound + upper bound
    5. Linear interpolate between 0 and 100
    6. ???
    [16:15:41] Cypher: caus the CPU is a dick
    [16:16:07] kynox: CPU is mad
    [16:16:15] Cypher: CPU is all like
    [16:16:16] Cypher: whatever, i do what i want

gononono64's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by MaiN View Post
    1. Find lower bound for X and Y
    2. Find upper bound for X and Y
    3. Add lower bound to all units
    4. Divide all positions by lower bound + upper bound
    5. Linear interpolate between 0 and 100
    6. ???
    holy eff im confused... mostly because i dont know what upper and lower bounds are and reading the wiki give my brain a headache . Maybe this is just too advanced for me right now ... after all im only just out of high school. And have not started taking my university courses yet ... maybe ill come back to this at a later date

Edit: on further research i finally figured out what the hell lower and upper bound is. I attended a french school and we called this something else (which i cant remember XD) All i remember was that the teacher used the word bell curve a lot. XD . Only a year has passed since i graduated and i forgot all that crap already. Damn shame cuz now i need it (?)
    Last edited by gononono64; 03-08-2011 at 05:52 AM.
    https://www.ownedcore.com/forums/world-of-warcraft/world-of-warcraft-bots-programs/wow-memory-editing/319172-guide-how-make-wow-bot-complete-newbs.html

asbest0s's Avatar Active Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    holy eff im confused... mostly because i dont know what upper and lower bounds are and reading the wiki give my brain a headache . Maybe this is just too advanced for me right now ... after all im only just out of high school. And have not started taking my university courses yet ... maybe ill come back to this at a later date
    The upper bound is your largest possible value, the lower bound is the lowest possible value.

This is at best elementary school maths - you really don't need any of your university courses for that.

Syltex's Avatar Sergeant Major
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT
    Shit explanation sorry.p
    Last edited by Syltex; 03-09-2011 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks G/R
    1/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ****... okay... so dont mind me im challenged. But... the last one confused me. What exactly are those coords there... and what math am i doing... there are lots of equations out there... any in perticular i may use?
    Last edited by gononono64; 03-08-2011 at 11:07 AM.

Cheatz0's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ****... okay... so dont mind me im challenged. But... the last one confused me. What exactly are those coords there... and what math am i doing... there are lots of equations out there... any in perticular i may use?
    Honestly, that picture makes no sense to me either..

Now I haven't ever written a radar, nor am I working on wow stuff anymore.. but it sounds like what you want to do is to get the X,Y coords of all the surrounding objects, but at a reasonable scale for your drawing?

You could perhaps do this:

Treat your local player pos when drawing as (0,0)
    For each object you want to track, subtract the pos of the object from the pos of the player, creating a vector of appropriate size. Ex: Player = (4000, 2000) Object = (4020, 2030) => (4000-4020,2000-2030) => (-20,-30)
    With that vector, add it to (0,0) which is your local player, which ofcourse results in the object pos being (-20,-30) in relation to your player.

Haven't really given this alot of thought, might be blatantly wrong.

Thanks G/R
    1/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, that picture makes no sense to me either..

Now I haven't ever written a radar, nor am I working on wow stuff anymore.. but it sounds like what you want to do is to get the X,Y coords of all the surrounding objects, but at a reasonable scale for your drawing?

You could perhaps do this:

Treat your local player pos when drawing as (0,0)
    For each object you want to track, subtract the pos of the object from the pos of the player, creating a vector of appropriate size. Ex: Player = (4000, 2000) Object = (4020, 2030) => (4000-4020,2000-2030) => (-20,-30)
    With that vector, add it to (0,0) which is your local player, which ofcourse results in the object pos being (-20,-30) in relation to your player.

Haven't really given this alot of thought, might be blatantly wrong.
    See thats what i was thinking as well

but upon reading it looked like it took more math than that and i kinda hesitated. And considering my wow account just ended (i have to renew the subscription) i didnt really want to go make a trial account until i knew for sure. But thinking about it it should work. Although i thought i would maybe have to covert it to a percentage and do it that way but i just dont know... and to be honest i totally forgot majority of the math from school XD

Cheatz0's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, when making apps for WoW you don't really need to know very advanced math. However, you should at least know basic trigonometry like Pythagoras, sine/cosine/tangens etc. If you don't you can easily get the info you need on Wikipedia or something.

Something I recommend though, is learning at least some basic linear algebra. It gives a whole new level of understanding how the game/graphics actually works. But I'm not sure there is a good online resource to learn, I learnt from books.

Thanks G/R
    1/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do know basic trigo. altho it was all in french so some terms i do not recognize. I remember quite a bit of trigo but matrixes i just cant for the life of me remeber. And i assumed that what i needed due to a wikipedia page. In any case ... ill set up a trial account and mess around a little. I was just hoping someone would have a straight answer and not any of this "i want you to figure it out on ur own" bologna but i suppose its for the best. I do need to touch up on that shit and if i can translate some French terms to English that would help as well

Robske's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    3/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just hoping someone would have a straight answer and not any of this "i want you to figure it out on ur own" bologna but i suppose its for the best. I do need to touch up on that shit
    Uhhh shitstorm incoming

Get out.
    Last edited by Robske; 03-08-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
    "I cried a little earlier when I had to poop" - Sku

Thanks G/R
    1/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Robske View Post
    Uhhh shitstorm incoming

Get out.
    Well no really! Its probably as simple as x2-x1 and y2-y1 and then adjusting to the scale you want and its done. But NO! People couldnt just say that they had to give me confusing things (in an attempt to get me to figure it out myself) and it blew up and confused me more! The reason forums were invented was to share information. Pass things around! And people get "flamed" for not knowing something.

I understand do your research first, which i did but it lead to me matrixes (which i havnt played with for a while) and terms i didnt know, but if someone asks a questions (especially a simple one that is not talked about) there is no harm in just giving it to them because then at least they can study and understand what is going on.

So shit storm me all you want I'm going to continues asking questions till i understand and then i am going to give back my knowledge in an attempt to help other people. That is all... im going to test my math now to see if its as simple as that...

lanman92's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or until you get banned? Let's have a race!