0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginning Memory Editing

Hello, I'd like to get started with memory editing in WoW. I'm knot entirely sure if this is allowed here, but where should a beginner start off? LIke hwo to hook processes, injecting your own functions, etc?

Beginning Memory Editing
    !@^^@!'s Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first thing first, do you know a programming language? if no i would recomend you learn one first c# and c++ are both exelent choices but if you're a beginner i recomend c# because it's easy to get started with...

Zymus's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know alot of Java, and I'm learning C++

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afaik java is "meh" for injection, memory reading and other related stuff...
    Depending on how much c++ you know, it's probably a good idea to finish up the learning of the language first because i know from my own example that learning c# while also learning injection and so on have a pretty steep learning curve, yes it is possible just harder because not only do you need to figure out what the code does but also how it works...

at any rate just search the forum and look it through page by page, there is loads of info scatered around and it will take you time to find but it will be worth it

Robske's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    3/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming you know a programming language and have basic reversing knowledge.

As far as WoW goes:

- Object management. Learn how game objects are stored and structured. This includes but is not limited to: descriptor access (UNIT_HEALTH, UNIT_MANA), various struct access (MovementInfo, SpellCastInfo, Auras), calling (virtual) methods (GetName, GetPosition, UpdateDisplayInfo), ...
    - Object iteration. Create a versalite objectmanager that allows you to easily query data from the world.
    - Movement. Pick one, there's plenty of ways to move around in the world. Look into CTM, CInputControl and Intersect.
    - Lua. Research how it works and how it's implemented into World of Warcraft. There's no need for you to reverse certain functions when you can just grab the return value of it's lua equivalent. (GetBattlegroundStatus, GetWeaponEnchantInfo,...)
    - Varia: DBC access, Camera handling, Packet management, Events...

Create a solid framework prior to making a bot. It'll save you alot of time and increase the quality of your code.

Edit: and Java is "meh" for everything.
    "Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live." - Martin Golding
    "I cried a little earlier when I had to poop" - Sku

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Robske View Post
    Assuming you know a programming language and have basic reversing knowledge.

As far as WoW goes:

- Object management. Learn how game objects are stored and structured. This includes but is not limited to: descriptor access (UNIT_HEALTH, UNIT_MANA), various struct access (MovementInfo, SpellCastInfo, Auras), calling (virtual) methods (GetName, GetPosition, UpdateDisplayInfo), ...
    - Object iteration. Create a versalite objectmanager that allows you to easily query data from the world.
    - Movement. Pick one, there's plenty of ways to move around in the world. Look into CTM, CInputControl and Intersect.
    - Lua. Research how it works and how it's implemented into World of Warcraft. There's no need for you to reverse certain functions when you can just grab the return value of it's lua equivalent. (GetBattlegroundStatus, GetWeaponEnchantInfo,...)
    - Varia: DBC access, Camera handling, Packet management, Events...

Create a solid framework prior to making a bot. It'll save you alot of time and increase the quality of your code.

Edit: and Java is "meh" for everything.

I should probably mention I' programming in linux, so the standard reversing techniques won't apply =\

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should probably mention that the most elegant solution to that is:
    1) Uninstall Linux
    2) Install Windows
    3) ?????
    4) Profit
    at least as far as the reversing goes afaik, although i suppose wine + ida could do the job and either just programming in c++ or c# with mono
    Last edited by !@^^@!; 02-19-2010 at 02:47 AM.

pendra's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Zymus View Post
    I should probably mention I' programming in linux, so the standard reversing techniques won't apply =\
    How come? If you call engine functions from GCC compiled code you'll have to think about some ABI stuff, cdecl vs stdcall etc, but other than that everything is pretty much the same. Same offsets, etc. IDA runs fine under wine.

flo8464's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by pendra View Post
    How come? If you call engine functions from GCC compiled code you'll have to think about some ABI stuff, cdecl vs stdcall etc, but other than that everything is pretty much the same. Same offsets, etc. IDA runs fine under wine.
    There are Linux binaries of IDA, no need for wine.
    Hey, it compiles! Ship it!

RoKFenris's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by flo8464 View Post
    There are Linux binaries of IDA, no need for wine.
    AFAIK:
    - IDA's Linux version is text mode.
    - He already have Wine anyway (as he is running WoW), and IDA runs out of the box in Wine (only some tooltips don't work, nothing really serious).

BTW, I believe reversing under Linux is even easier than under Windows. I've not tested Windows debuggers under Wine (as I am not keen on debugging WoW on live servers and I am too lazy to set my own private server to do it), but I believe they should work, and you can also resort to debugging Wine itself with a Linux debugger. You can also use the WINEDEBUG variable to watch in real time WoW's usage of each and every windows DLL call, and if you are not afraid to compile Wine yourself you can even instrument Wine to extract whatever information you want (and that includes calling WoW functions, as Wine is already sharing WoW's process).

Besides, about every offset, structure and most methods you find on this forum will work "out of the box", and most that will not work are ones you won't need anyway

audible83's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from the obvious differences in compilers, you'll run into small difficulties.

Search the posts by sednogmah

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, once i get home i'll be able to try out ida