0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[?] Reading Object Name

I am weary that this has possibly been covered already, however I have searched and searched and cannot find a working method to read an objects name. I have tried the following methods:

Code:
    UInt32 UnitNamePtr = m_Wow.Memory.ReadUInt(m_Wow.Memory.ReadUInt(baseAddress + 0x1f4) + 0x078);
    return m_Wow.Memory.ReadUnicodeString(UnitNamePtr, 30);
    Code:
    return m_Wow.Memory.ReadUnicodeString(m_Wow.Memory.ReadUInt(baseAddress + 0x1f4) + 0x078), 40)
    I attempted to use:
    Code:
            Removed by request.
    However I was un aware of what VMT was. I am using the latest BlackMagic for this project and obviously C#. If anyone could please point me in the correct direction, I would be very grateful.
    Last edited by Smarter; 04-03-2009 at 08:25 AM.

[?] Reading Object Name
    SKU's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The name of an object and the name of a unit are stored differently.

pUnitName = [[UnitBaseAddress + 0x970] + 0x3C] // 3.0.9
    pObjectName = That's easier than the UnitName, take a look at the "UnitName" lua function.

VMT = Virtual Method Table. Everything I write now might very well be wrong, as I'm bad.

pVirtualMethodTable = [ObjectBaseAddress]. I don't know if this is only C++ related or in general like this, as I said, I'm bad.

The point of this whole thing is to call the objects own GetObjectName funcion - that's much easier than ripping out the offsets for each type every patch.

(The "UnitName" function calls them after it found out what type the object was if I recall correctly :P)

The GetObjectName virtual method is as of 3.0.9 the 47th virtual method.

GetObjectNameFunction = [[ObjectBaseAddress] + 47 * 4]

The reason you multiply by four is because the 47 is not a direct structure offset but an index, every pointer is 4 bytes long -> you multiply by 4 to get the actual offset.

As I said, don't take this stuff for granted. Shynds blog ( Shynd’s WoW Modification Journal ) has an entry about that. (Not about GetObjectName() but about Interact() - that's 'just' another virtual method)

*Hopes that Cypher is in a good mood*

Edit:

Code:
    // GetObjectName 3.0.9
    .text:00659E00                 mov     eax, [ecx+1F4h]
    .text:00659E06                 test    eax, eax
    .text:00659E08                 jz      short loc_659E0E
    .text:00659E0A                 mov     eax, [eax+78h]
    .text:00659E0D                 retn
    Your offsets are corret, but only work for objects (type 5)
    uint pObjectName = [[ObjectBaseAddress + 0x1F4] + 0x78]
    string szObjectName = [pObjectName]
    Last edited by SKU; 04-03-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Smarter's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much. I have another question, I first sort my objects by the Type offset, before making any read attempts, once this is done I read through them. However on some of my Unit objects they do not have a name? I have to catch the error of it attempting to read.

argh44z's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by SKU View Post
    pVirtualMethodTable = [ObjectBaseAddress]. I don't know if this is only C++ related or in general like this, as I said, I'm bad.
    It is compiler specific (or rather specific to whatever C++ ABI a compiler uses), although many compilers stick the pointer to the vtable there. What is highly unstandardized is the layout of the vtable and ordering of virtual functions.

Cypher's Avatar Kynox's Sister's Pimp
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by argh44z View Post
    It is compiler specific (or rather specific to whatever C++ ABI a compiler uses), although many compilers stick the pointer to the vtable there. What is highly unstandardized is the layout of the vtable and ordering of virtual functions.

That being said, I don't know of a single major compiler that does NOT implement virtual functions as vtables with a pointer at the object base on any of the major platforms.

Also, I would hardly expect the ordering of virtual functions in memory to be standardized, or even to be considered for standardization, given that it has absolutely zero bearing on high-level software that isn't specifically designed to exploit certain low level and undocumented compiler intricacies (at which point you're already "on your own" as far as standard C++ goes).