Never heard about The Secret World? Want to know what all the TSW stuff is? Come here menu

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    403Forbidden's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/11
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never heard about The Secret World? Want to know what all the TSW stuff is? Come here

Okay, so after discovering that apparently TSW is not THAT well known, i decided to make this information compilation post to help people get to know it.

So, what is TSW?

TSW stands for The Secret World. It is a new MMO developed by Funcom (creators of Age of Conan, Dreamfall, etc), and it has been in development for roughly 5 years. It is scheduled to be released in early june this year.

Imagine if every myth, conspiracy theory and urban legend was true. Imagine a world where you can become anything you want to be, without restrictions such as classes or levels. This is the premise for The Secret World, Funcom’s upcoming massively multiplayer online game set in the modern-day real world.
    The game features our current modern world, transformed to a mix of Hellgate: london and Lovecraftian tales. The players will join one of the three factions, The Illuminati, the Dragon or the Templars in order to progress their goals and also kick some ass.

One of the most unique features of the game is the leveling system - or, to be more precise, the lack thereof. There are no levels to be gained, but there is experience.
    How does it work?

Every monster kill / quest / etc award experience. You have an experience bar that stays same for the whole duration of game. Once you reach the next level rank, you get an additional skill point to allocate to one of the abilities. So far sounds just like normal leveling right? Well, wrong.

You see, the game has no classes. You have a choice of over 600 different abilities, from which you can mix-and-match to choose 7 active and 7 passive ones, with which to do your dirty deeds. Not all of these abilities are unlocked - and it is them that you spend the skill points on. There is no "level" requirement however, while some skills might require you to unlock others before them, nobody is forcing you towards a direct path. You can be "all in", or "mix and match" or a "hybrid" or whatever else you want. Theoretically, you can have every single ability in the game at some point, and be highly versatile.

Not only that, but the game also offers incredible story and immersion opportunities. Im talking ARG, extensive puzzle solving, deep mysteries and lore mechanics, etc.

All in all, it would take ages for me to give you all of the 5 years worth of compiled information - and i also suck at such long posts - so i highly urge you to just have a look yourself.

www.thesecretworld.com

Just for reference, about 90% of people who know what TSW is have already preordered, or plan to buy the game at release. That's saying something.

And yes, i havent told you what the whole facebook thing is about. Its simple.
    As a prelaunch event funcom released a browser game called "the secret war". It is based on a RISK pattern, meaning globe is divided into many small zones, and players send their "agents" (recruited facebook friends) to give their faction an influence in that zone. Not only does it provide you with bonus ingame content such as costumes etc, but it also allows you to show off your faction's strength, as well as follow certain weekly challenges that will unlock even more rewards.

So yeah, i highly urge you to have a look at the game.

Last edited by 403Forbidden; 04-26-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Never heard about The Secret World? Want to know what all the TSW stuff is? Come here
    Anon1011's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a prelaunch game called the secret war link below, if you are thinking about buying this game or are looking into it I suggest you start playing the facebook prelaunch game now it only lasts for 4 weeks (currently on week 2) and you need to build up 1200 points to unlock everything.

secretwar.thesecretworld.com
    Last edited by Anon1011; 04-30-2012 at 01:38 AM.

Jaerin's Avatar Former Staff
    Thanks G/R
    29/126
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anon I hope that isn't a referal link which aren't allowed.

RealPlutoNess's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering he made his account today I think it is.

Edit: i clicked it and it brought me to the secret war so it might not be.

Also im looking at this game and it looks very cool, the only thing that scares me is it was created by funcom, dont get me wrong theyre a good company but their MMOs generally dont market ya know? However I think I will be preordering this.
    Last edited by RealPlutoNess; 04-30-2012 at 01:31 AM.

Thanks G/R
    0/11
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Jaerin: you can see if its a referral link by mousing over it. It is not (although many people will want to post them, me included).
    The facebook game itself is not neccesary - it will only award stuff like extra customization etc, as well as guaranteed beta access for top players.

The game itself however is brilliant. Sure funcom doesnt have that great of a history with MMOs, however this project is different. Also got a huge crowd excited, the community is fantastic.

Id say wait for may 11, thats when the open public peta begins, and a lot will be streaming etc.
    I already preordered mine too

Thanks G/R
    29/126
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He fixed his link. I believe before it was a referal type link. I'll check it out...wasn't making a comment about the content just the follow up post from anonymous person.

Thanks G/R
    0/11
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    He fixed his link. I believe before it was a referal type link. I'll check it out...wasn't making a comment about the content just the follow up post from anonymous person.
    Just make sure you check out the actual game, and not just the facebook thing. Because The secret WAR (facebook browser game) is somewhat meh. The Secret WORLD (the actual mmo) is da shiz

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    403 Have you played beta because I preorderd and they said ill get into weekends... is there an actual closed beta?

Thanks G/R
    0/11
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by RealPlutoNess View Post
    403 Have you played beta because I preorderd and they said ill get into weekends... is there an actual closed beta?
    There is closed beta, but its under NDA.
    Open beta (well, semi-open) begins on may 11.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay another question I already chose a society, which did you choose?

Mine is Templar :P

Thanks G/R
    0/11
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Illuminati, obviously <3

Thanks G/R
    29/126
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know...there are so many games coming out right now. I'm not sure I have time to put into another potential MMO...

It looks pretty cool though. Maybe after I decide if GW2, D3, MoP, and such are going to stick first. I'm still playing Risen 2, Witcher 2 EE, and occasionally Spiral Knights.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing i liked and I saw was they offer a package for $200 and you get unlimited play time and you dont need to buy any so that will allow me to play both wow and secret world im so excited.

Thanks G/R
    29/126
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That seems like a pretty bad idea if you ask me. Pretty much every game that Funcom has made as gone F2P. Why would you shell out an extra $150 for a lifetime subscription when its likely to be F2P eventually anyways... Not to mention this is actually the cost of at least a years subscription up-front. Either you are really in love with game already or you like risk.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it comes with alot more than a lifetime subscription, it comes with a 10% discount to the item mall (which is just for cosmetic stuff nothing that would give players an advantage) and a bunch of nice stuff that would help me in game and its not risk, its a really awesome looking game (it has a huge following from white wolf a rpg company) and tbh I dont think this will go free to play EA just needs to get the word out better they swept this under the rug because of swtor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast