0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Auction house: Fluctuation and you

Fluctuation is something that happens every week and is caused by supply and demand, there is a weekly trend in prices
    and it is usually unnoticed by the majority of players, or ignored by those who do notice it.

You however get people that exploit this and make insane amounts of gold, and you are going to be one of those people.
    The way it works is:

On the weekend, everyone is off work and a lot more people farm their little socks off. More people are playing. Supply goes up,
    demand goes up. But the supply goes up more than the demand and this pushed prices down as people desperately undercut
    to sell their products first. This is a good thing, because on a saturday evening you can buy almost anything for about 70% what
    you can ask for it and successfully sell it for at another time of week. The time supply goes down is around wednesday/thursday
    as the people who farmed over the weekend and didn't sell over the weekend finally shifted their auctions on the monday or
    tuesday and the auction house is relatively understocked, this pushes prices up. Wednesday/thursday evening is the time to sell
    your auctions. They will sell, and they will sell for more than on the saturday by a large margin.

How are you going to use this? You will have heard of 'buy low, sell normal' since it is spread like a disease by people trying to
    sell gold guides that don't work. Well, you find a nice market, I will use Greater Cosmic Essence as my example (Because for me it's
    one of the best items out there when it comes to reselling). Here I will outline how to use fluctuation to your advantage.

On Saturday, go to the auction house. There will be a LOT of Greater Cosmic Essence on the auction house. On my server, they
    sell on saturday for 9-11g each, with some people listing higher. On wednesday & thursday I can easily sell these for 15-16g.
    You should check these prices on your realm before attempting this. Make sure you make at least 3g per essence when reselling
    on the wednesday & thursday. My strategy is to buy as many essences as I can from 9-11g early saturday evening (prices on your
    server may very, the max price you should buy for should be at least 3g under what you can sell it for on the wed/thursday) then go
    back about 2 hours later on the saturday, and buy a load more from 9-11g since people are flooding the auction house with new
    listings, and so that I never have to go over the 11g mark to buy as many auctions as I want. By waiting for new auctions to pop
    up for the low prices again (undercutting happens like hell in those 2 short hours) I can buy a huge amount without going above
    my limit. I don't buy anymore after that because even though there are many more auctions left to buy slightly later on, buying
    everything is a good way to start inflation. It's about control. On the wednesday as soon as I get back from work (5:30ish) I'll list
    a good amount of auctions. After around 40 minutes most of them have gone so I put more up, and then again afterwards. Then on
    thursday I do the same again. I sell more on the thursday, and I do it in chunks like this so I don't risk flooding the market, but still
    sell high amounts of auctions. If you have any left over on the friday, feel free to try selling them or buy less on saturday and sell
    the leftovers and new purchases again the next wednesday/thursday. If I'm looking at (minus fees and buying price) 4g profit per
    essence, and sell anywhere from about 300ish on the 2 days in the chunks I talked about that is 1200g for in total maybe 10-15
    minutes work. And that isn't constant working either.

You can see this is pretty crazy and you WILL have competition, and you WILL have times where you don't sell much. The thing is to
    keep your head cool and never panic. Never. Panicking makes you do stupid things, in this case if you panic and try to sell them
    desperately you will end up losing out on gold. The idea is also not to do this with just one item. I'll perhaps sell 300 Greater Cosmic
    Essences, 500 Infinite dust, countless amounts of herbs and ores (all wotlk herbs and ores, if you were wondering), the new epic
    gems (uncut) and more.

Don't settle for making money off exploiting one item!

One other note, this sounds far more time consuming than it really is. I have a couple of hours at least from when I get home to when
    I raid for the evening and it gives me time to do what I've said above, to go back every so often and buy/re-list more.
    Last edited by wig44; 09-17-2009 at 03:55 PM.

The Auction house: Fluctuation and you
    ßetray's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cleaned it up for you and added some links
    because Walls of text are...
    walls of text

Fluctuation
    is something that happens every week and is caused by supply and demand, there is a weekly trend in prices
    and it is usually unnoticed by the majority of players, or ignored by those who do notice it.

You however get people that exploit this and make insane amounts of gold, and you are going to be one of those people.
    The way it works is:

On the weekend, everyone is off work and a lot more people farm their little socks off. More people are playing. Supply goes up,
    demand goes up. But the supply goes up more than the demand and this pushed prices down as people desperately undercut
    to sell their products first. This is a good thing, because on a saturday evening you can buy almost anything for about 70% what
    you can ask for it and successfully sell it for at another time of week. The time supply goes down is around wednesday/thursday
    as the people who farmed over the weekend and didn't sell over the weekend finally shifted their auctions on the monday or
    tuesday and the auction house is relatively understocked, this pushes prices up. Wednesday/thursday evening is the time to sell
    your auctions. They will sell, and they will sell for more than on the saturday by a large margin.

How are you going to use this? You will have heard of 'buy low, sell normal' since it is spread like a disease by people trying to
    sell gold guides that don't work. Well, you find a nice market, I will use Greater Cosmic Essence as my example (Because for me it's
    one of the best items out there when it comes to reselling). Here I will outline how to use fluctuation to your advantage.

On Saturday, go to the auction house. There will be a LOT of Greater Cosmic Essence on the auction house. On my server, they
    sell on saturday for 9-11g each, with some people listing higher. On wednesday & thursday I can easily sell these for 15-16g.
    You should check these prices on your realm before attempting this. Make sure you make at least 3g per essence when reselling
    on the wednesday & thursday. My strategy is to buy as many essences as I can from 9-11g early saturday evening (prices on your
    server may very, the max price you should buy for should be at least 3g under what you can sell it for on the wed/thursday) then go
    back about 2 hours later on the saturday, and buy a load more from 9-11g since people are flooding the auction house with new
    listings, and so that I never have to go over the 11g mark to buy as many auctions as I want. By waiting for new auctions to pop
    up for the low prices again
    (undercutting happens like hell in those 2 short hours) I can buy a huge amount without going above
    my limit.
    I don't buy anymore after that because even though there are many more auctions left to buy slightly later on, buying
    everything is a good way to start inflation. It's about control. On the wednesday as soon as I get back from work (5:30ish) I'll list
    a good amount of auctions. After around 40 minutes most of them have gone so I put more up, and then again afterwards. Then on
    thursday I do the same again. I sell more on the thursday, and I do it in chunks like this so I don't risk flooding the market, but still
    sell high amounts of auctions. If you have any left over on the friday, feel free to try selling them or buy less on saturday and sell
    the leftovers and new purchases again the next wednesday/thursday. If I'm looking at (minus fees and buying price) 4g profit per
    essence, and sell anywhere from about 300ish on the 2 days in the chunks I talked about that is 1200g for in total maybe 10-15

You can see this is pretty crazy and you WILL have competition, and you WILL have times where you don't sell much. The thing is to
    keep your head cool and never panic. Never. Panicking makes you do stupid things, in this case if you panic and try to sell them
    desperately you will end up losing out on gold. The idea is also not to do this with just one item. I'll perhaps sell 300 Greater Cosmic
    Essences
    , 500 Infinite dust, countless amounts of herbs and ores (all wotlk herbs and ores, if you were wondering), the new epic
    gems
    (uncut) and more.

One other note, this sounds far more time consuming than it really is. I have a couple of hours at least from when I get home to when
    I raid for the evening and it gives me time to do what I've said above, to go back every so often and buy/re-list more.

Last edited by ßetray; 09-17-2009 at 02:04 PM.

Soullinker's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rep for you

The-Eradicator's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Already knew this information, and I can tell anyone whos wondering that it does indeed work.

Also, good guide. +Repx3.
    The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
    Albert Einstein

wig44's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ßetray View Post

Cleaned it up for you and added some links
    because Walls of text are...
    walls of text

Fluctuation
    is something that happens every week and is caused by supply and demand, there is a weekly trend in prices

The way it works is:

up for the low prices again
    (undercutting happens like hell in those 2 short hours) I can buy a huge amount without going above
    my limit.
    I don't buy anymore after that because even though there are many more auctions left to buy slightly later on, buying

Essences
    , 500 Infinite dust, countless amounts of herbs and ores (all wotlk herbs and ores, if you were wondering), the new epic
    gems
    (uncut) and more.

Thanks so much for cleaning it up. I had done some nice things to it when I originally posted it on my blog but obviously when I pasted it over the formatting was lost, and I didn't really think about this at the time. +rep to you for your cleaning up, and thanks to everyone who repped me.

Will.

makasante's Avatar Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sweet guide, i'll try this repz4u

Akane1984's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    + rep, i already knew this but have not tried it yet

Confidence's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full Revision by Confidence
    Partial Credit goes to ßetray for the original revision.

Fluctuation is something that happens every week and is caused by supply and demand; there is a weekly trend in prices and it usually goes unnoticed by the vast majority of players.

However, there are people that exploit this and make insane amounts of gold, and you are going to be one of those people.
    The way it works

On the weekend, everyone is off work and a lot more people farm their little socks off. As a result (more people playing), Supply goes up and
    demand goes up. But the supply goes up more than the demand and this pushes prices down as people desperately undercut
    to sell their products first.

This is a good thing, because on a Saturday evening you can buy almost anything for about 70% of the normal price. The time supply goes down is around Wednesday & Thursday because the people who farmed over the weekend and whose items did not sell have come back by now & they decide to sell it cheap to make some quick $. Wednesday & Thursday night is the time to sell because they will sell for the most, on average, at this time of the week.

How are you going to use this? You have probably heard of "buy low, sell high" since it is spread like a disease by people trying to
    sell gold guides that don't work. Well, you find a nice market, I will use Greater Cosmic Essence as my example (because for me it's

sell on saturday for 9-11g each, with some people listing higher. On Wednesday & Thursday I can easily sell these for 15-16g.

on the Wednesday & Thursday. My strategy is to buy as many essences as I can from 9-11g early Saturday evening (prices on your
    server may very, the max price you should buy for should be at least 3g under what you can sell it for on the Wednesday/Thursday) then go
    back about 2 hours later on the Saturday, and buy a load more from 9-11g since people are flooding the auction house with new
    listings, and so that I never have to go over the 11g mark to buy as many auctions as I want.

By waiting for new auctions to pop up for the low prices again
    (undercutting happens like hell in those 2 short hours) I can buy a huge amount without going above my limit. I don't buy anymore after that because even though there are many more auctions left to buy later on, buying everything is a good way to start inflation. It's about control. On the Wednesday as soon as I get back from work (5:30ish) I'll list a good amount of auctions. After around 40 minutes most of them have gone so I put more up, and then again afterwards. Then on Thursday I do the same again.

I sell more on the Thursday, and I do it in chunks so I don't risk flooding the market, but still sell high amounts of auctions. If you have any left over on the Friday, feel free to try selling them or buy less on saturday and sell the leftovers and new purchases again the next Wednesday/Thursday. If I'm looking at (minus fees and buying price) 4g profit per essence, and sell anywhere from about 300ish on the 2 days in the chunks I talked about that is 1200g in total for maybe 10-15
    minutes of work
    . And that isn't constant working, either.

You can see this is pretty crazy: you WILL have competition, and you WILL have times where you don't sell much. The thing is to
    keep your head cool and never panic.
    Never. Panicking makes you do stupid things, in this case if you panic and try to sell them
    desperately you will end up losing out on gold. The idea is also not to do this with just one item.

I'll perhaps sell 300 Greater Cosmic
    Essences
    gems
    (uncut) and more.

Coloration is definitely important (to sustain the reader's interest, especially in guides or long write-ups), and highlighting key elements in yellow always helps. I liked your guide, particularly because you have analyzed the days of the week and how they coordinate with AH pricing.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.
    - Confidence
    Last edited by Confidence; 09-17-2009 at 06:18 PM.

uncalm51's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

money money

This is how I make a wow living. Well done on the guide...very concise.

+rep

roehama's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +rep to original poster and guy who posted color ^_^
    o rly?

fatality3's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice guide man +rep. Hope to try this on saturday.

Madjackk4's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice reselling trick. Thanks.

wig44's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Confidence View Post
    Full Revision by Confidence
    Partial Credit goes to ßetray for the original revision.

Coloration is definitely important (to sustain the reader's interest, especially in guides or long write-ups), and highlighting key elements in yellow always helps. I liked your guide, particularly because you have analyzed the days of the week and how they coordinate with AH pricing.

Thank you for taking the time to do this.
    - Confidence
    Thanks for the extra revision, I'll definitely be sure to utilize the options available to me in future to make postd attractiv! Thanks.

Joj3k's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for it. Always had problems with gold so now I can try it out to improve my gaming.

wig44's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Joj3k View Post
    Thanks for it. Always had problems with gold so now I can try it out to improve my gaming.

Glad it helped. Don't invest too much at the start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast