Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Renaming Races For 3.3.5a Wow

Hello MMowers,

I recently renamed the Blood Elves to High Elves, seeing as many people like reskinning Dwarves to Iron Dwarves or Blood Elves to High Elves, I thought this guide would come in handy.

~Required Tools~
    All Tools are in this link -- MpqEditor.rar
    =Contains=
    Ladik's Mpq Editor 3.x Version
    DBCutil

-Need Winrar or another .rar opening and extracting program.-

Retrieving The Dbc Files:
    First, we need to locate CharRaces.dbc in the gamefiles. Open the Mpq Editor and run the exe. There you'll see at the left top hand corner, a button called Open Mpq.

Head into your wow directory and open up the Data folder. In there you will see a folder called EnUs, or EnGb. Open that folder and open the Patch-EnUs-3.mpq or Patch-EnGb-3.mpq.

Then you'll see a few things pop up on the sidebar on the left. Click DBFilesClient, a huge list will show up on the middle section of the Mpq Editor, find ChrRaces.dbc. Then, right click ChrRaces.dbc and hit Extract, extract the file to your desktop or any desired location.

Then find the new folder made at your desired location called DbFilesClients. Open the folder and you'll find the ChrRaces.dbc file. Open the DBCutil until there are 2 files in the folder, DBCutil and MSVCR71.dll. Drag the ChrRaces.dbc file onto the DBCutil and a black screen will pop up for like a second. Then a file will be made next to your ChrRaces.dbc that will be openable in any writing program (ex: Notepad).

Find the Race you want to rename. I'll do Dwarves for this Tutorial. Then find the second time the name is used in that line (ex: The first time you see Blood Elf in the line, it is spelled BloodElf, do not change that one, change the second name called Blood Elf.)

Rename them as you wish:

And drag the notepad openable ChrRaces.dbc onto DBCutil this time. Then it will ask you if you want to overwrite the old ChrRaces.dbc and press Enter.

Now we need to make a Mpq file.
    Open the Mpq Editor again. This time click the first button on the top left hand corner called New Mpq.

Put in the Box: Patch-#, replace my D with any Letter A-Z or any number 4-9. Then hit Next:

Hit Next

Next Again:

Checkmark both slots and hit next

Then Hit Finish

Now we need to recreate the Wow Folder Paths. Right click anywhere on the blank area and hit Create New Folder. Then name the folder DBFilesClient.

Left click twice on the New folder that comes up on the sidebar called DBFilesClient. Then Right click on the blank space again and hit Add File. Locate your ChrRaces.dbc file again ( Not Notepad openable one) and click Open.

Open up the choice menu and choose the Zlib Compression. Then hit Ok. Your file is now added into the Mpq file. No saving needed, just close the Mpq Editor

In the Mpq Editor folder will be your new patch, in my case it's patch-D.

Take the File and drag it into your Wow Data folder. Now login and see the change.

~Frequent Questions~
    Q. I get an error when I log in and it mess up the Interface, what do I do?
    A. You take the ChrRace.dbc file from Patch-EnUs-3.mpq or the highest number mpq file. If your doing this for 2.x, you take the file from Patch-EnUs-2.mpq.

~Credits~
    BanBoyHallapinoZ of X-Con Development == In other words, me.

Renaming Races For 3.3.5a Wow
    Xel's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    94/51
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread approved.

Deathbringer123's Avatar Master Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Works like a charm +rep

BanzBoyz77's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soon adding in How to Rename Classes too!