0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogue Tips

Hey, well I signed up to MMOwned over a year ago, however, quit wow soon after, so I guess that’s my only excuse for not having any rep at all

So, as I have played a rogue since release id thought id just give you guys some tips about them e.t.c, mostly PvP, but ill dabble in PvE. These are mostly just little things that will help you, and even experienced rogues forget

Ok, lets start.

PvP:

Restealthing: A lot of 70 rogues still do not understand the fact that you can restealth after a gouge and blind. When taking on targets I find hard to kill, I use a lot of restealthing to gain advantages with more openers, say I open with cheapshot, do a few attacks, gouge, run and restealth, I then have about 5 combo points on the target. I can then open again with a garrotte, a 5 point rupture, and continue to hound on my target. This boosts your damage insanely, and is brilliant on high hp targets. However, be careful against casters and hunters! Crowd Control: This is especially useful in arena when you are trying to crowd control a healer, or something else. Generally you will open with a sap, then when thats over blind the target. However, wouldnt it be cool to be able to sap them again? Since when the player is blinded, after about 6 seconds of non-combat, the target goes out of combat. This means you can restealth / vanish to get another sap off, that can be just enough to finish a nuke on an annoying warrior

Dots: Dot moves such as garrote and rupture are EXTREMELY useful against armoured targets. It seems the impression i get is most rogues are likely to use eviscerate on their target, than good old rupture. Warriors and Druids are extremely suseptable to this, and it there is no reason not to dot unarmour targets such as mages and warlocks, mainly due to resilience. However, be careful as itl negate gouge and blind. Another great thing about rupture, is the fact it silences targets for a few seconds. Therefore, when dueling mages, i generally always open with rupture, followed by my main attack, and go from there.

Expose Armour: Expose armour again is one of those taboo moves, and mainly used on warriors. Disc priests however, rely hard on their armour, and Expose armour can be very useful against them. The end damage result of the boost from expose armour, can highly outweigh the use of eviscerate, so keep that in mind!

Poisons: Again, rogues forget to look into the usefulness of their poisons, and a good set of poisons on your weapons is extremely important. I generally always run with crippling in the offhand, for shiving it onto runners, or to keep the enemy off a healer. Then the rest depends on your target. Wound poison is an insanely useful poison, due to the reduced healing. Wound is useful against most arena set-ups, and in solo pvp, due to warlocks drain life. However, if in doubt, stick instant on the main hand. NEVER DEADLY, can be a pain when you need to blind a target and hes got deadly on him. Mutilate rogues should always run with Wound / Crippling for the poison effect on the target.

Deadly Throw: A very useful move, however, not so until you get gladiator gloves. The gladiator set bonus allows you to interrupt the targets casting, which again is extremely useful in arena against a healer that has just got out of your crowd control.

Hunter traps: Hunters traps count as a magical effect, so use clos if you feel you have to run through one!

Evasion: If you are specced sublety, and can get hold of ghostly strike, the combination of Evasion and Ghostly strike is a great one, and can be very powerful against most targets. However, ensure they don’t try and run away! Example, if I was duelling another rogue and saw him pop these two, I would instantly vanish to ensure I wasn’t hit by the full brunt of an unstoppable machine!

Evasion II: If you are duelling another rogue, who has say popped evasion, and you want to unload say a 5point kidneyshot, if you bide your time you can get behind the target, his dodge rating there is 0, and you are a lot more likely to get it on him. This can be extremely detrimental on a rogue, negating his 5 min cooldown. Again, if you pop Evasion, be wary of opponents trying to get behind you!

Finding stealthed targets: If I am looking for a rogue or druid, I will use 2 tactics to find them. I will start by running in an add direction, to put them off my scent so I can ensure they are not on my back. Then, I will spam my say, cheapshot key, while sweeping my mouse left to right over around a 100-degree angle. This allows me to cover a large amount of space, and increase the chances of first hit.

This however, does not work aswell with sap, as you must of targeted your enemy first. Although, you can change your sap to this macro

/target enemy
    /cast sap

Im not 100% sure of the macro, but im pretty sure that’s it and will update when I have found out.

Dueling Tactics:

Keep in mind tactics against certain classes are dependant on your spec, however ideas can be incorporated.

Rogue: When duelling another rogue, I will use the example I had shown above to find them in stealth first, however I will use the sap macro. This is to allow stupid rogues to use their insignia, and then I can just find them again! However, if they do not, I will open with a cheapshot, and load up some combo points. Most rogues with insignia, will not allow a full stunlock to take place, and are likely to use their insignia as soon as you cast kidney shot. So we will not. I will then do a 5point rupture on the target, gouge them (to give me time to run), ensure crippling is on them, and retreat ready to restealth. They cannot restealth due to the dot on them. I will then go back into them, this time opening with garrotte due to the dm (diminishing returnes) on cheapshot, load up until I have 5 points, and then use a kidney shot. It is imperitive you do this quickly, to ensure they don’t attempt to blind you. Once the kidney shot is in, you should be able to nuke them down and finish with an eviscerate.

Mage: With mages I always open with garrotte. This stops them blinking instantly, and allows me to get off some damage first. My main aim with mages, is to try and force them to blink as quickly as possible. I will open with garrotte, and begin nuking ensuring crippling is on them. As soon as they blink, I will then sprint into them, kicking them silencing them again for a few more seconds while I finish getting combo points. Then, I will use kidneyshot, which they can no longer blink out of, and begin nuking. Around now, they are likely to use iceblock, at which point I use the last bit of sprint to get away, and restealth. They will then begin spamming arcane explosion. Let them, it wastes mana. Eventually, they will stop (or not start) at which point, you can open again with a garrotte, and finish them off.

Druid: Druids are the toughest class for rogues in every aspect, and I have not really come up with any solid tactics, so will dabble here. Basically, my plan when facing druids is to keep 3-4 combo points on them at all times, and to nuke them down. Then wait for them to jump out of bear form, then gouge them.. wait.. kidneyshot, nuke nuke nuke, blind, restealth (if you can) cheapshot, nuke nuke nuke. That’s about all you can do with druids, unless you severly our gear them. And a druid that duels you in cat is a moron, just try and keep them in cat form!

Warrior: is again a very hard opponent. However, this is what I do. I open with garrotte, as stuns on warriors heal them (second wind), build up combo points staying as far away from their front as I can. When I have 5 combo points, I rupture, vanish, and run so demoralizing shout doesn’t get me. I then let the dots tick. If he begins eating, attack instantly again, this time with cheap shot, loading up combo points for a kidney shot, and damaging them down. Hopefully, this combined with the dots should kill him, however sometimes it wont. I will then pop evasion, and try and keep to their back. Although they can overpower, its better than a MS crit. Once evasion is over, I will pop spring and do something very.. odd. I will run away, turn around, run into them spamming my move and continue running past them for 3 metres or so, turn around, and continue. What you are aiming for is to catch them off guard, and not letting their 3 speed axe hit you as you are not in range for more than a second or two. This should finish him off!

Warlock: Warlocks are now very easy to kill, I open with garrotte, build upto 5 combo points, kidneyshot, nuke, as kidnetyshot finishes, use clos to stop them fearing you and contiue to nuke, kicking where need be.

Shaman: are again easy to kill, just treat them like a rogue using dots where need be, mixing in stuns, watching for heals you need to kick. I always use wound poison for shamans, but they generally go down very quickly.

Paladin: are very hard to kill. To kill a paladin, you must first force them to bubble. Treat them like a warrior as explained, and nuke them down. As soon as the bubble comes up, run away until you are out of combat, then click eat, and stealth. He will most likely run towards you after the bubble, so be ready to intercept with a cheapshot before he concecrates. Then continue to nuke down. Sap him if need to be bandage.

Priest: Shadow priests are again very easy to kill, however be wary of instant fear. Disc priests is about constant damage, not letting them out your sites. Use wound poison, expose armour, and kick them a lot. They will keep trying to heal, so be sparing with kick gouge and stuns. Vanish and garrotte if need be.

Hunter: ignore the flare spamming trap layers, and wait. Simple as. As soon as you can get into them, stunlock them as much as you can. As soon as he’s out of kidneyshot, he will pop bestial wrath, at which point pop evasion and sprint and keep nuking. Pop clos if you see a trap layed.

That more or less covers the main specs of all the classes, and should put you in good stead killing them.

PvE:

Not going to put much in the PvE section, as I did all my pve content on my shadowpriest. However, I will give you some quick tips, and may add more depending on how much people like my guide!

Ok, when I raided pre-tbc, I use this attack cycle

Garrote – SS – SS – SS – SND – SS – SS – SS – SS – SS – Rupture.

Just keep SND up, and rupture with spare combo points, and your dps will be through the roof. Use deadly poison to keep a constant damage going, and be ready to vanish if you over aggro.

Also, if you raid with daggers, you do not need to be directly behind the target to use backstab e.t.c, you can be at the side, so experiment with bosses to find the best place to be. This is more for bosses such as onyxia and nefarian, but there are some large bosses after TBC!

The main thing to remember about raid dps, is to concentrate, and keep SND up. I raided Naxxramas, with a dagger sealfate vigor spec using mostly nightslayer, and was very close dps to the AQ geared full combat players!

Thanks for reading my guide; everything here is mine and original, written on the 14th of January 2008 between 11.30 – 12.30!

Many thanks for reading!

Rogue Tips
    cangiz's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expose Armour: Expose armour again is one of those taboo moves, and mainly used on warriors.

Expose armor does nothing against warriors...

link244's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most players attempt to use expose armour on warriors and druids.

cydial's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by cangiz View Post
    Expose Armour: Expose armour again is one of those taboo moves, and mainly used on warriors.

Expose armor does nothing against warriors...
    No offense, but obviously you've never played a rogue. While 5 point rupture WOULD be better, expose armor (improved or not) will increase your damage to them by 5-10% depending on their resil and armor

link244's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all that writing and no +rep? pff >.< makes you wonder why you bothered really.

TforTyranth's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by cydial View Post
    No offense, but obviously you've never played a rogue. While 5 point rupture WOULD be better, expose armor (improved or not) will increase your damage to them by 5-10% depending on their resil and armor
    expose armor combined with nowadays armor ignore will give a solid 30/35% damage increase for 30 sec using a 5 combo m8, and yes, he prolly never ever played a rogue lol

Thimpey's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, read this:

IF you're specced mutilate with 2/2 Improved Expose Armor it will ignore4100 armor. You will have ALOT of combo points when you're haXXing with mutilate so: CS Mutilate Expose armor(+10&#37;dmg-4100armor) Mutilate Kidneyshot(+9%+10%dmg)+Trinket+Cold Blood = Kapew!
    If you have s3 weapons(daggers) they already ignore 98armor. Remember that Executioner ignore 840 armor. I'll say that 5038 armor is ALOT.

Edit: If you're 3x/0/3x specced you probably have Serrated Blades too.
    Edit2: Forgot to mention that the Vindicator's Band of Triumph also ignores 56 armor.
    Last edited by Thimpey; 01-14-2008 at 02:25 PM.

cangiz's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are wasting 5 combo points against a warrior, for 10&#37; increased damage, then you might as well use slice and dice. You guys are stupid in thinking i;ve never played a rogue. I have played one since S1, and when paired with a disc priest i've acheived 2100+ in 2v2...

Thimpey's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by cangiz View Post
    If you are wasting 5 combo points against a warrior, for 10% increased damage, then you might as well use slice and dice. You guys are stupid in thinking i;ve never played a rogue. I have played one since S1, and when paired with a disc priest i've acheived 2100+ in 2v2...
    "You guys". If you're talking about what I wrote... I didn't really talk about PvP against warriors. I was just giving some examples about some extra increased damage. GZ by the way, you're not the only one with 2.1k+ 2vs2. :icon_blahblah: :gtfo2:

TforTyranth's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Thimpey View Post
    "You guys". If you're talking about what I wrote... I didn't really talk about PvP against warriors. I was just giving some examples about some extra increased damage. GZ by the way, you're not the only one with 2.1k+ 2vs2. :icon_blahblah: :gtfo2:

gratz, is youre mother proud of you ?

pics or it didnt happen, because basicly, if you say stuff like this. yeah, you havent topped 1400 did you

Noobzors's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok for the first one to get hits on the stealth
    Heres what I do
    On my stealth action bar I have cheap shot as 1. And i press tab 1 tab 1 tab 1 and i spam it. If i hit one it will target it fast... then cheapshot will attck
    I usually have the first hit unless theyre sub

sucasa's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting tips, seems to be for combat rogue. i enjoyed reading it ^^

jordash's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you

Well I liked this Guide alot, gonna help alot on my rogue so +Rep

iamspectre's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should add that Shiv is undodgable, decent damage vs an evasioned rogue

cyraxo's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well m8 im playing a rogue alt atm that i use for pvp and i agree not 100% of what ur saying is efficient but im gonna +rep you for general effort and time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast