0/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change your Character name for free

Hey guys, I am currently on a break from WoW, but I would like to share some information about Blizzards ToS that may be of value to some people on this forum. Simply put, it is possible to get a free name change for any of your characters as long as they have one of the limitations specified bellow.

Code:
            (i) Belonging to another person with the intent to impersonate that person, including without limitation a "Game Master" or any other employee or agent of Blizzard;

(ii) That incorporates vulgar language or which are otherwise offensive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

(iii) Subject to the rights of any other person or entity without written authorization from that person or entity;

(iv) That belongs to a popular culture figure, celebrity, or media personality;

(v) That is, contains, or is substantially similar to a trademark or service mark, whether registered or not;

(vi) Belonging to any religious figure or deity;

(vii) Taken from Blizzard's Warcraft products, including character names from the Warcraft series of novels;

(viii) Related to drugs, sex, alcohol, or criminal activity;

(ix) Comprised of partial or complete sentence (e.g., "Inyourface", "Welovebeef", etc);

(x) Comprised of gibberish (e.g., "Asdfasdf", "Jjxccm", "Hvlldrm");

(xi) Referring to pop culture icons or personas (e.g. " "Britneyspears", "Austinpowers", "Batman")

(xii) That utilizes "Leet" or "Dudespeak" (e.g., "Roflcopter", "xxnewbxx", "Roxxoryou")

(xiii) That incorporates titles. For purposes of this subsection, "titles" shall include without limitation 'rank' titles (e.g. , "CorporalTed," or "GeneralVlad"), monarchistic or fantasy titles (e.g., "KingMike", "LordSanchez"), and religious titles (e.g., "ThePope," or "Reverend Al"). You may not use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the name restrictions listed above, nor can you have a "first" and "last" name that, when combined, violate the above name restrictions.
    If you meet ANY of the requirements above, you are able to send Blizzard an email explaining that you "accidentally" broke the ToS and that you would like to amend your error. you are almost guaranteed that they will allow you to change your toons name.

PLEASE someone confirm this, as I haven't done it in over half a year but their ToS rests the same. I do not want to be flamed for an attempted contribution, so if this doesnt work anymore, Ia sk this thread be closed.

Change your Character name for free
    TechnoKilla's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh why not I'll attempt this and come back with results
    Last edited by TechnoKilla; 01-15-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Shadowsteppa's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    4 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can even ring them to do it
    SIG TOO BIG!

TechnoKilla's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I tried using my Egyptian prophet named char but they said nothing was wrong with it :P

Relican's Avatar Elite User Creepy in a good way CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    49/57
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've reported my own names that were definitely trademarked and/or offensive and blizzard never reversed them for me, but I HAVE been forced to change two names. Oddly enough, they weren't against any ToS except for the roleplaying realms'. Even then, those names didn't really break the rules. I completely forgot what my Druid was originally named, I just remember being really shocked when I was told someone reported it and they decided that something like "Windale" was against RP realms name policy, but Priestitute never got flagged on that same realm.

In other words, I've only ever had success with this when someone else found my name offensive and provided proof and whatnot to blizzard. As stupid and well-known as what I'm about to say is (And since you're going to have to contact a GM to pull this off anyways), your best tackle is usually deleting your character and petitioning it and having someone else take your name while you're deleted. That's how I lost the name "Dk" a while back; I got hacked and while I was waiting on restoration someone else took my name. That also pretty much eliminates the need of having to have a character with a name against ToS, given you're willing to go a little while without them.
    4 8 15 16 23 42

phantom325's Avatar Turtle Nation
    Thanks G/R
    81/162
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reported my name "Thedayofdark" because I believe it falls under
    (ix) Comprised of partial or complete sentence (e.g., "Inyourface", "Welovebeef", etc);
    So we'll see how that goes :P

EDIT:
    Greetings!

Thank you for contacting us for assistance with your characters name. At this time your name is not in violation of our policies so we will not be able to offer you a free name change.
    Last edited by phantom325; 01-15-2012 at 05:33 PM.

phorentez's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    1/18
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My character names are:

1.) Ragnos
    2.) Ujustgotpwnd
    3.) Evalution
    4.) Sensick
    5.) Assasinated

Would any of these meet those recuirements? i think number 1 and 2 might have the potentiel?

phantom325's Avatar Turtle Nation
    Thanks G/R
    81/162
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by phorentez View Post
    My character names are:

1.) Ragnos
    2.) Ujustgotpwnd
    3.) Evalution
    4.) Sensick
    5.) Assasinated

Would any of these meet those recuirements? i think number 1 and 2 might have the potentiel?
    Best thing to do is just send in a ticket. Mine got answered within 5 minutes.

jmulhern345's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by phorentez View Post
    My character names are:

1.) Ragnos
    2.) Ujustgotpwnd
    3.) Evalution
    4.) Sensick
    5.) Assasinated

Originally Posted by jonni67 View Post
    Hey guys, I am currently on a break from WoW, but I would like to share some information about Blizzards ToS that may be of value to some people on this forum. Simply put, it is possible to get a free name change for any of your characters as long as they have one of the limitations specified bellow.

Code:
            (i) Belonging to another person with the intent to impersonate that person, including without limitation a "Game Master" or any other employee or agent of Blizzard;

(ii) That incorporates vulgar language or which are otherwise offensive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;

(iii) Subject to the rights of any other person or entity without written authorization from that person or entity;

(iv) That belongs to a popular culture figure, celebrity, or media personality;

(v) That is, contains, or is substantially similar to a trademark or service mark, whether registered or not;

(vi) Belonging to any religious figure or deity;

(vii) Taken from Blizzard's Warcraft products, including character names from the Warcraft series of novels;

(viii) Related to drugs, sex, alcohol, or criminal activity;

(x) Comprised of gibberish (e.g., "Asdfasdf", "Jjxccm", "Hvlldrm");

(xi) Referring to pop culture icons or personas (e.g. " "Britneyspears", "Austinpowers", "Batman")

(xii) That utilizes "Leet" or "Dudespeak" (e.g., "Roflcopter", "xxnewbxx", "Roxxoryou")

(xiii) That incorporates titles. For purposes of this subsection, "titles" shall include without limitation 'rank' titles (e.g. , "CorporalTed," or "GeneralVlad"), monarchistic or fantasy titles (e.g., "KingMike", "LordSanchez"), and religious titles (e.g., "ThePope," or "Reverend Al"). You may not use a misspelling or an alternative spelling to circumvent the name restrictions listed above, nor can you have a "first" and "last" name that, when combined, violate the above name restrictions.
    If you meet ANY of the requirements above, you are able to send Blizzard an email explaining that you "accidentally" broke the ToS and that you would like to amend your error. you are almost guaranteed that they will allow you to change your toons name.

PLEASE someone confirm this, as I haven't done it in over half a year but their ToS rests the same. I do not want to be flamed for an attempted contribution, so if this doesnt work anymore, Ia sk this thread be closed.

this is all common knowledge that blizzard doesn't care about. They know when people just want free name changes. GMs will stick notes in for characters, There is info about you on blizzards side from GMs and phone calls you make just clicks away from GMs.
    IE: Trying to get free name change. Don't give him it.
    IE: Called in 3 times in 1 day, as 2 different people.
    IE: Don't respond to his ticket while he/she is in game because they weave words like "Hacked" "Compromised" to get to the front of Queue to ask for a Item Restore.

Show GMs respect. You won't notice it but GMs will blow off you tickets and wait for u to log out and then make a response apologizing that you where not online and close your tickets. I was the rudest person to GMs. I literally made a ticket out of anger from a 72 hour suspension that i honestly deserved about how GMs are failures that never attended college. I Xfered all my characters to another account on a diffrent server, hoping to start over fresh. IDK if it worked.

TL;DR.... GMs are not retarded and they know when someone wants a free name change.

Relican's Avatar Elite User Creepy in a good way CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    49/57
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by jmulhern345 View Post
    this is all common knowledge that blizzard doesn't care about. They know when people just want free name changes. GMs will stick notes in for characters, There is info about you on blizzards side from GMs and phone calls you make just clicks away from GMs.
    IE: Trying to get free name change. Don't give him it.
    IE: Called in 3 times in 1 day, as 2 different people.
    IE: Don't respond to his ticket while he/she is in game because they weave words like "Hacked" "Compromised" to get to the front of Queue to ask for a Item Restore.

Show GMs respect. You won't notice it but GMs will blow off you tickets and wait for u to log out and then make a response apologizing that you where not online and close your tickets. I was the rudest person to GMs. I literally made a ticket out of anger from a 72 hour suspension that i honestly deserved about how GMs are failures that never attended college. I Xfered all my characters to another account on a diffrent server, hoping to start over fresh. IDK if it worked.

TL;DR.... GMs are not retarded and they know when someone wants a free name change.
    Basically what I'd say. In response to the people who tried this, if you actually WANT a name change, like I said, the only times it has ever worked for me has been when OTHER PEOPLE reported my name. Doing it yourself just screams to Blizzard that you just don't want to pay for a name change.
    4 8 15 16 23 42

casteaz's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried getting a free name change for several of my characters before. A lot of these rules apply to RP servers, and most GM's only take action if you're on one. Even though it may say that these rules apply to all types of realms GM's, like to stick to their guns and deny you this service.

joboy_67's Avatar Active Member Super Wiener CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok guys, personally it depends on what your argument is. Dont blatantly ask for a name change, or get someone to report you.