0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Join a Raid Group on a Low Level Character

Well, a few patches ago Blizzard decided to limit the levels of characters who can join a raid group. I was looking at the World of Warcraft API page on Wowpedia when I found, what some would consider, a very useful command. What it does is it allows a character below level 10 to join a raid group! This is extremely useful for solo'ing instances as you can create a trial account (which no longer expires) and invite your low level character to a raid group! This can also be used for having those low level "raids" in Gurubashi Arena and such.

Here's how to do it:

1) Log onto a character that is lower than level 10
    2) In the chat box, type in the following:
    Code:
    /run SetAllowLowLevelRaid(true)
    Hopefully you folks will be able to utilize this as I will probably never be able to. It's great finally giving back to the community.

I searched thoroughly and did not find a topic that relates to this exploit.
    Last edited by Ground Zero; 01-11-2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: I made the title more precise; it now states "Low Level Character" instead of "Level 1".

Join a Raid Group on a Low Level Character
    cdmichaelb's Avatar Contributor CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    21/5
    Trade Feedback
    7 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Thormn View Post
    I searched thoroughly and did not find a topic that relates to this exploit.

It isn't an exploit is why.

This function was added when it was removed by default. (pretty sure it's because new players are often confused why they can't complete quests while in a raid)

Thormn's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    /facepalm

Are you sure that is the case? Although your statement is logical, I'm pretty sure the patch notes did state that it was no longer possible to join a raid group if you weren't at least level 10.

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

Direct from the patch notes, I have a quote of the change regarding the level restriction to join a raid group:
    Players below level 10 may not join raids.
    In response to players' thoughts on the change, Ghostcrawler said the following:
    One of the worst experiences a new player to WoW can have is to get invited to a raid. It immediately shuts off their ability to complete quests. Yes there are ways around that, but when you're talking about a legitimately new player who may not even have the support of friends teaching them how to play, it can just kill any progress flat. Without the starting quests, the player has no direction, no sense of their role in the game and no reasonable way to gain XP. It's even worse when done maliciously, by inviting a bunch of noobs to a raid and then dropping out. :(

I am assuming many of you are like me and played games for years before trying WoW. But WoW has been around a long time now and some of the players picking up the game now don't necessarily have that experience to draw from. Beginning players these days might have come from consoles or handheld games or maybe WoW is even the first real game they've tried. These type of players need a little more direction. You'll see a lot of changes in 3.3 to support this, and then even more in Cataclysm.

We realize it affects the legitimate (if niche) lowbie raid case so we hope this is only a temporary solution until we implement something a little more bullet proof.
    This concludes that the change was intended to affect everyone, making the command I stated in the original post an actual exploit.

Phantons's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, that's the case. This isn't an exploit. Not even a small, tiny bug. Blizzard has a ton of /script and /run (mostly /run) commands for a bunch of little tricks you can do, but yeah, they aren't exploits or anything.

EDIT: Yeah, they took out the option by default at low levels, but this is still considered a "trick". However, I don't believe this forum has a Tips/Tricks section or anything, so I'm not sure where you would really post this. I'll +rep for the thought though.
    Last edited by Phantons; 01-11-2012 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Adding Info

Thormn's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I guess you're right (gah). Can you give me any examples of other commands that are specifically added so that people who know the API can use?

Ground Zero's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moved to guides as this is actually useful.

Laera's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +rep, nice find, and probably not intended if you read patchnotes.

Lvl1's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify. You can START a raid as a low level with this script, but you can not join a raid with it. It doesn't make much sense...

Kaizuken's Avatar ★ Elder ★
    Thanks G/R
    60/293
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sry for necro but still works, for EU.