Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ret/Unholy 2v2 for Complete Retards (Faceroll for Epics)

***EDIT: Retribution talent build changed to include Improved Righteous Fury

Retribution/Unholy : S5 :: MS/Resto : S1

Retribution/Unholy is the FOTM class combo of our time. Insane burst with disproportionately effective survivability makes this spec godlike. My Death Knight is at 1725 2v2 right now, with a Titansteel Destroyer. Only raid loot is the Sealing Ring of Grobbulus, and a couple of badge pieces. My ret partner is more or less geared on the same level as me, with an ilvl 200 weapon (Demise).

[1] The Paladin
    [1.1] Talent
    [1.2] Gear+Glyphs
    [1.3] Macros
    [2] The Death Knight
    [2.1] Talent
    [2.2] Gear+Glyphs
    [2.3] Macros
    [3] Strategies
    [4] Final Notes

[1] Although Retribution got hit hard at the launch of WotLK with a quick buff/nerf cycle, their burst is still incredibly high, and Sheath of Light gives them heals worth a damn.

[1.1]http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0ebGfZVfMtbhufMsgzuo
    Divine Guardian is a HUGE part of this, as is Imp HoJ. More on Divine Guardian later.

[1.2] Stat heirarchy for a Retribution Paladin:

Hit until 4%>Crit until ~30% buffed>Strength

Of course, you should be using arena gear. Start with Savage Saronite, it's relatively cheap and will do you well until you get "real" gear. If you buy the boots and headpiece from Wintergrasp using marks, you should be fairly close to 4% hit.

As for glyphs, your choices are pretty cut out. Go:

MAJOR
    Glyph of Judgement (JoComm crits during an HOJ is crucial to this spec)
    Glyph of Seal of Command (Must have)
    Glyph of Turn Evil (Renders Lichborne DKs/Metamorphed Warlocks/Ghouls/Gargoyles worthless)
    MINOR
    Glyph of Sense Dead (The only minor that really does anything)
    ~Whatever
    ~Whatever

[1.3] Let "focus" = your partner.

-Cleanse partner
    Code:
    /cast [target=focus] cleanse
    My partner uses this when I am polymorphed/Crippling Poisoned/Slowed, or when he has a free GCD. It's a must have to avoid clicking for reaching for F2.

-Bubblesac
    Code:
    /castsequence [target=focus] Divine Shield, Hand of Sacrifice
    With this macro, you can give your partner a whopping 51% reduction in incoming damage 1-((1-.3)(1-.3))! This is part of what makes this combo so great.

-Easy repentance
    Code:
    /cast [target=mouseover] Repentance
    A shortcut to avoid clicking someone.

[2] Now, for the good part of this guide. Unholy death knights who are 21/0/50 are absolutely breaking the game. They have a tool to give them an advantage in any situation. Caster? No problem, AMZ/Strangulate/AMS. Rogue or Feral Druid almost have you down? Don't worry, Mark of Blood!

[2.1] http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jfmMq...MGhbfkgco0foux
    Substantial changes made: Desecration and AMZ have been dropped in favor of better talents.

[2.2] As a Death Knight, you should go for the 4% hit cap first (Doing more is overkill. You only have a couple of abilities that are spells). Then, go for crit and strength, but NEVER EVER gem for Attack Power, unless it's a green or purple gem that doesn't have a +str variant. Many talents us Death Knights have only multiply Strength (Same goes for Ret paladins, too).
    Glyphs should be as follows:

MAJOR
    Glyph of Scourge Strike (Not having to reapply diseases is a HUGE benefit)
    Glyph of Rune Tap (Although it's only a 2% gain for you, giving your partner a little more time to live can turn the tide of a game. MUST have)
    Glyph of Anti-Magic Shell (Only 2 seconds more, but that can mean a lot, like resisting one more frost bolt)
    MINOR
    Glyph of Blood Tap (Duh)
    Glyph of Death's Embrace (Comes in handy if you need to heal your ghoul. You might have some extra RP some time to heal your gargoyle as well, but if they're attacking your gargoyle he's probably going down either way)
    Glyph of Raise Dead (I can't recall if Raise Dead still requires a reagent DURING a game, but I do know that Arena Preparation now removes the Corpse Dust criterion of the spell. If I am wrong, and Raise Dead still doesn't use a reagent during a game, pick up something else, like Horn of Winter)

[2.3]

Summon Gargoyle + Empower Rune Weapon
    Code:
     /cast Summon Gargoyle
    /cast Empower Rune Weapon
    Since you'll need the most burst in the first few seconds, I bind Gargoyle with ERW and use this macro after I finish my first set of runes. It gives me -three- Scourge Strikes and a gargoyle hammering away at the target.

Death Pact Gargoyle
    Code:
    /target Ebon Gargoyle
    /cast Death Pact
    A very simple macro, but it can come in very handy in a pinch.

Blood Tap Macros
    I bind Blood Tap to many abilities with a cooldown that only consume a single rune that could otherwise screw up my rotation. I do this with:

Bone Armor (Although I refresh it during combat only if I'm in a really tight spot, as it only gives 20% reduction now)
    Rune Tap
    Anti-Magic Zone
    Chains of Ice (Most important one)

Death Grip Stun
    Code:
    /cast Death Grip
    /cast Gnaw
    Although Gnaw can now be set to auto cast, it's still best that you keep it off because of this macro. This macro gets the target to your feet and stuns it for 3 seconds, which is a lot on a 20 second cooldown. You can even use this when Death Grip is not up and you just want to stun.

Interrupt Macro
    Code:
    /cast [modifier:ctrl] Strangulate; Mind Freeze
    This is a crucial macro. If CTRL is held down, you will cast strangulate. If not, you will cast Mind Freeze. Many Death Knights fumble with using these two spells effectively, and this is the perfect solution.

[3]
    Playing a Death Knight/Ret combo is not challenging. I'll divide strategies by combos:

Healer/DPS

1) CC the healer (Repentence, followed by strangulate), and try and burst down the DPS. Good if it's a resilient healer and a squishy DPS (Try and look out for gear. If you can spot T7 on either, that probably means they're sacrificing resil for stats)

2) Burn the healer. Good for, obviously, squishy healers. Ret will open with a HOJ, and the DK will provide Mind Freeze/Gnaw when needed. Nearing death, DK casts Strangulate.

**NOTE: If you only see a healer, drop DND and DG+Chains of Ice the healer in. If you see nothing, that means there's a druid healer, a rogue/rogue or a mage/mage or a mage/rogue team.

DPS/DPS

Since each combo is so different, I'll break down the ones I've seen.

MAGE/MAGE (Arcane/Arcane, Frost/Arcane, etc)
    This is tough. You need to get a head start. Try and burst one mage down and make him ice block. After he does, head over to the other mage, but DO NOT take your eyes off the first one. AS SOON AS he pops out of Ice Block, Repentence/Chains of Ice/Death Grip/Gnaw him. If he evocates or goes invisible, all your work has just been wasted.

ROGUE/MAGE
    Usually, they'll try and focus down one player. If they choose the paladin, he should bubble just as he nears death. If they choose the Death Knight, apply Mark of Blood to the rogue, but NOT BEFORE HE CLOAKS. Mark of Blood will set them back a lot, especially if said rogue is Mutilate.

ROGUE/ROGUE
    One of the easier combos to deal with. MOB the first rogue who pops COS (Obviously after CoS is over). Drop plenty of DNDs, or at least have it ready. Get rune strike ready.

Death Knight/Ret
    Congrats, you're fighting your carbon copy. This is hard to do, since you have nothing they don't have (Assuming the death knight is 21/0/50 as well). Try and get MoB on the Death Knight. Use your AMS wisely; popping it before a string of Scourge Strikes can save your life.

This was not meant to be an exhaustive list, it was meant to give you an idea of how to behave. Get creative.

[4]

Synergy, not brute force of the two classes combined, makes this combo what it is. A Death Knight with all the damage reduction abilites activated (Divine Guardian, Bone Armor, IBF, HoSac) will only take 31.36% damage. Extreme communication is necessary to play this to the fullest, it is recommended that you use Ventrilo or the built in VOIP feature.

I hope this helped, have fun getting easy epics.
    Last edited by Dankone; 02-02-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Ret/Unholy 2v2 for Complete Retards (Faceroll for Epics)
    pewpewlazerz's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    4/6
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is a very nice guide! I have a death knight that sucks and I may try this out :-P

Paperboi's Avatar Knight
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have to look up how to arena, you're not going to do well in arenas.

Dankone's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Paperboi View Post
    If you have to look up how to arena, you're not going to do well in arenas.
    Overgeneralization for the sake of sounding cool. Talking about and sharing strategies, keybinds and macros help a lot more than you would think.

Aimladen's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CLOAK OF SHADOWS DOESN'T REMOVE MOB, how come so many DK's think otherwise? The same goes for hunter's and their pets, they are unable to remove it - it's a physical effect. So putting it up instantly to help negate opening nuke damage and or CD's is very useful.

Lith's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im in the same boat as pewpew, this may eventually be useful, rep if it is.
    Run WoW@School/Work/Any Firewall ASK ME about Your Freedom

chimx6x's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tell your m8 he should skill holy and go for 2000+

lol

but nice guide

Kaites's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's a nice guide. +rep

edit: keep in mind that seal of blood may also be an alternative.

it does superior dmg, but don't underestimate the self dmg.
    Last edited by Kaites; 01-27-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Obstructed's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Aimladen View Post
    CLOAK OF SHADOWS DOESN'T REMOVE MOB, how come so many DK's think otherwise? The same goes for hunter's and their pets, they are unable to remove it - it's a physical effect. So putting it up instantly to help negate opening nuke damage and or CD's is very useful.
    Sorry to say but after 3.0.8 Cloak of Shadow does remove MoB since it is a magic now.

theKarn's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark of Blood - Spell - World of Warcraft note: magic

Thanks for the tips. I'll try it out later but it looks pretty solid. +rep

dmwpalpha's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice guide

PewPewNao's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vindication not taken, QQ?
    and why 1/5 fanaticsm?
    I would also take imp retri aura
    Everything ealse is pretty good tho
    Last edited by PewPewNao; 01-27-2009 at 10:09 AM.

themaster's Avatar Contributor
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well you can say Ret + dk = face roll ( truth ) but it depends on the Battlegroup too because how can a rogue + affliction warlock go 1800 on Vindication - Eu with 10 loss? yep.. llol and the rogue is blue geared

Edit : no i dont play vindication but a friend of mine does..

PewPewNao's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WT change battlegroup, Cyclone eu :/ toughest in europe
    If you dont have most of your gear epic then you wont get past 1600
    Last edited by PewPewNao; 01-27-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Dankone's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Wootmankeh View Post
    Vindication not taken, QQ?
    and why 1/5 fanaticsm?
    I would also take imp retri aura
    Everything ealse is pretty good tho
    There's no room for Vindication in the build. If you really want it, go ahead and trade something else for it, but everything else is pretty essential. Before I went DK I was an 1800+ 2v2 retribution paladin on Stormstrike US. I personally hated Vindication because it would proc at the worst of times, like a fraction of a second after Hammer of Wrath becomes available to use. I uh, won't even talk about imp retribution aura.

Here's a video of me as 21/0/50 with a friend of mine (59/5/7 blood tank in PvP gear :P) wrecking Goldshire and Stormwind. (Be sure you watch it in HQ, it's a lot better) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwkMcQrUVlE"]YouTube - Hillary and Malkiah Do Azeroth[/ame]
    Last edited by Dankone; 01-27-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast