0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choosing Howling Fjord or Borean Tundra

Ok, with WotLK imminent, some people have already chosen a level 70-80 speedroute, or are just going to go wherever they are closest to, or haven't even considered this at all.

Anyways, I'm here to inform everyone about what each zone has to offer, both good and bad.

First off, I'll go with Borean Tundra. This zone is reached by Orgrimmar's zepplin and Stormwind's harbor; as a result of being connected to the two most populous cities, it will likely be crowded. This is where the Horde Expedition is lead by Garrosh Hellscream, and the Alliance Expedition's leader is unknown, but thought to be either Highlord Bolvar or King Variann Wyrnn. The Horde is situated in Warsong Hold, while the Alliance remains in Valiance Keep. The Quests here will include forces of Tuskarr, Scourge, Naga, and a new group of druids called "D.E.H.T.A." that plan to stop Hemet Nesingwary from his hunting. However, Hemet isn't in the Borean Tundra; he is in Scholozar Basin. This zone's pigments are mainly a dull yellow and a dull brownish-red; the scenery isn't too lush or varied. It does, however, have lots of quests and exceptional quest rewards. This also has a low-level instance called the Nexus(71-73).

Next, we have the Howling Fjord. This is reached by a zepplin outside the Undercity, and a boat from Menethil Harbor; as a result of being connected to minor areas that are rearely visited, it will likely be less crowded. From here, the Forsaken begin their attack towards the scourge, and manufacturing the New Plague, lead by the Apothecary Society. The Alliance try to hold on to the ever-sieged keep of Valgarde, and try to gain a foothold against the forces of the Scourge and Vrykul, lead by Magistrate Randalvarr. The Horde is situated in New Agamand, a forsaken town, while the Alliance holds on to Valgarde Keep. The quests here include battling the Vrykul, Scourge, Proto-Dragons, and some of the lore of Arthas' landing in Northrend. The Forsaken's Apothecary Society is here to experiment and obtain resources to construct their New Plague with which to destroy the Scourge, and possibly more. This zone has a blue-er and green-er pigment than that of Borean Tundra. It has short rolling hills and a healthy amount of trees. There are less quests here with not-so-good rewards, but it also contains the lowest level instance, Utgarde Keep(70-72).

Basically short and summarised, BT has more quests and better rewards, along with more reputation with the factions. It is however, quite dull at times, and possibly crowded. This is said to be best for those that want to hit level 80 ASAP.

HF has less quests with not as good rewards, but the feeling is much more "epic" according to most beta testers, and it's rumored to be less crowded. It is said to be best for RPers and people that like Lore.

Hope this helps you!
    Bandefaca
    Last edited by Bandefaca; 11-01-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: More Information

Choosing Howling Fjord or Borean Tundra
    monkey11111's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this like an Aldor/Scryer thing where u can only choose one place?
    or can i always just go back for the other one?

olopower's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ofc you can go back for the other zones afterwards,

They're just zones xD
    Whoever does not miss the Rolling Ignite has no heart. Whoever wants it back has no brain.

ouchrif's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have to go pee

Bandefaca's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, you can go back and do the other; this is just telling you what the pros and cons of each ones are.

Reflection's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    1/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ouchrif View Post
    i have to go pee

Lolwut?

Anyways, well-written guide, will be sure to take a further look at this at the release of the expansion. Thanks for taking your time to write it! =D

Freelance Digital Artist
    https://reflectionartwork.deviantart.com
    You did not desert me
    My brothers in arms

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank YOU for the honest feedback,

T1B's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job, i'll add rep as soon as i can, given out too much already last 24 hours

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, I just thought this up; Borean Tundra may have more players, because the ways to get there are in orgrimmar and stormwind, some of the bigger player hangouts, while undercity and menethil harbor aren't always overloaded with people. As a result, howling fjord would have less people. Thoughts? Comments?

Aqqu's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Bandefaca View Post
    Hmm, I just thought this up; Borean Tundra may have more players, because the ways to get there are in orgrimmar and stormwind, some of the bigger player hangouts, while undercity and menethil harbor aren't always overloaded with people. As a result, howling fjord would have less people. Thoughts? Comments?

Good point.

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I'll add that to the guide.

xtremez's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord?

From a questing perspective the Borean Tundra has approximately 150 quests while the Howling Fjord has around 105. This difference alone makes questing in the Borean Tundra more worthwhile. The difficulty of both zones is approximately the same with quest rewards being similar in quality.

There are some distinct advantages that the Howling Fjord has. You're less likely to engage in PVP battle with the layout of quests and the terrain. If you are on a PVP server, this may be one element to consider. The Borean Tundra has many neutral quest hubs that are shared by both sides with guards that will not intervene in any PVP combat. The Howling Fjord is also less likely to be overpopulated, it's entry point is from the zepplins outside Undercity while the zepplin outside Orgrimmar takes you to the Borean Tundra. On most servers, the large majority will probably start from Orgrimmar.

So while I consider the Borean Tundra an ideal starting zone for the Horde, PVP and overcrowding can potentially make things less than ideal. Ultimately I leave you the reader the choice... If you're like me, you'll eventually end up doing both sides anyway

taken from: Wrath Guide - Home

this might also be handy?

Geroam's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank you i was actually thinking about what place to choose at wotlk =) +Rep

Aberchuger's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is great! Thanks +rep x2

Emilie Autumn's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R