Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to play WOTLK that has been posted around the forums...

Ok I see many people have no idea what to do with the Wrath of the Lich King release that has been posted around the forums , I myself was one of them so after researching and finding some private servers that support it I figured I would write this guide for the rest of you that still need help.

Things you will need

-WoW+TBC enUS Version (enGB will not work)
    -
    WotLK 3.0.1 Full Client (enUS)

Once you have WotLK downloaded , go ahead and install it. If you have any errors or issues installing it please post detailed descriptions of the problems (screenshots will help very much also)

DO NOT UPDATE WOTLK PAST PATCH 3.01 (8634)...

In order to not patch past 8634 you must patch up until that and then ONLY open wow using the wow.exe and not the launcher.exe in the Wrath of the Lich King Beta folder.

Ok now that everything is installed and all ready to go all we need to do is find some private servers to play on.

For those of you who have never played on a private server , they are usually far from blizzard's servers in terms of drop rate/gear etc. So don't expect it to be like playing on a blizzard server with a few 1000 other players, right now it seems most servers have a low population but you can still mess around in WotLK and thats what this is for right?

Ok first you must register for the private server at their website, I will post 2 of the servers I know that are running WotLK right now and how to register and then eventually play on.

The first you can goto Pridefire Gaming check the checkbox and click I agree , then click on Sign Up from the banner at the top of the page. Once you have registered you now have an account for this server.

The second you can goto Crogges Wotlk Acc Creation - Acccreation by PoWeRLoGY to register , again once the account is created you are good to go on that server.

To set WOW so that it will connect to this server and not the retail one you must edit the file realmlist.wtf that is found in your WOW root folder (In this case your Wrath of the Lich King Beta folder)

Just right click realmlist.wtf and select open with..then open with notepad and delete the first line and replace it with the private servers realm info.

Replace that first line of text with the realm info for the private server that you wish to play on.

-For the first realm I listed you will want to change the top line to
    set realmlist Masterroot.de:1410

-For the second realm change the top line to
    set realmlist Wotlk.h0rs.com

MAKE SURE THAT WHEN YOU SAVE REALMLIST.WTF THAT YOU SAVE VIA SELECTING FILE IN NOTEPAD AND THEN CLICKING SAVE , OTHERWISE IT WILL GOTO SAVE IT AS A .TXT FILE AND WE DON'T WANT THAT.

Again if you have any questions or problems don't hesitate to ask , I will try my best to answer them but you must elaborate on the issue and try to not be vague at all. Hopefully some of you will learn what to do with the WotLK file that has been floating around and actually have some fun with it.

Enjoy :wave::wave:
    Last edited by PuffDank; 08-05-2008 at 06:45 PM.

How to play WOTLK that has been posted around the forums...
    babati's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd +rep if u gave links to the clients..

Neth'zul's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice post, thanks for the WotLK server link. +rep and gratz your out of leecher

PuffDank's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by babati View Post
    I'd +rep if u gave links to the clients..
    Links to the clients? As in links to download WotLK?

I figured people would flame for repost etc..

If so here is the link I used to download the installer...

aDownOne: Downloads

Credit goes to Cypher...
    Last edited by PuffDank; 08-05-2008 at 08:25 PM.

arson5891's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it safe to play just regular burning crusade retail on live servers with this installed?

or do i have to uninstall it before i play live

Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by arson5891 View Post
    is it safe to play just regular burning crusade retail on live servers with this installed?

or do i have to uninstall it before i play live
    I wouldn't know , blizzard always has something up their sleeve...

stonedanimal's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wat if i already went past those patches? is there a way i can take em out and repatch to that past patch? without havin to reinstall every little thing?

peanut's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Afulls04 View Post
    Once you have WotLK downloaded , go ahead and install it. If you have any errors or issues installing it please post detailed descriptions of the problems (screenshots will help very much also)

Have an error right after downloading. Says the file is corrupt or something. Heres an image of it.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6505/errorkl7.jpg

Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by stonedanimal View Post
    wat if i already went past those patches? is there a way i can take em out and repatch to that past patch? without havin to reinstall every little thing?
    Go into Wrath of the Lich King Beta\Data and delete patch.mpq , then start over again.

Originally Posted by peanut View Post
    Have an error right after downloading. Says the file is corrupt or something. Heres an image of it.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6505/errorkl7.jpg
    What size is the file , it appears it did not download all of the way.I had the same problem before and its because the download stopped short of the end for some reason.

Cypher was kind enough to host the file on his own server for the members in his thread here ---> http://www.mmowned.com/forums/bots-p...tml#post979055

Try that one , may be a little faster for ya.

peanut's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    1/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Afulls04 View Post
    Go into Wrath of the Lich King BetaData and delete patch.mpq , then start over again.

What size is the file , it appears it did not download all of the way.I had the same problem before and its because the download stopped short of the end for some reason.

Cypher was kind enough to host the file on his own server for the members in his thread here ---> http://www.mmowned.com/forums/bots-p...tml#post979055

Try that one , may be a little faster for ya.
    Thanks, I downloaded the file I think it was you that posted, it was from germany or something. I will try this one tho and see if its any better, +rep thanks for the help.

Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything work out peanut?

lockpwn's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everything worked fine for me but when i try to log into both of those servers it goes to connecting then said unable to connect

Thanks G/R
    0/2
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by lockpwn View Post
    Everything worked fine for me but when i try to log into both of those servers it goes to connecting then said unable to connect

Double check your realmlist.wtf and then check the websites/server forums to see if the servers are down for some reason..

awhite7691's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK so everything worked and I patched up to 3.0.1 . I log in and make a character and when i click "Enter World" an error comes up and says something like Assertion failed. Any ideas or what to do?