0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[FAQ] Scams and Thefts

Scam/Theft Prevention FAQ

What is a scam?
    A scam is the act of acquiring items or any other possession from another player through misinformation, confusion, or fraud. In short, using any sort of deception to gain at another's expense. If you are unsure if your particular case fits the criteria of a scam, contact a GM in-game and they will be able to assist you. Example: [Scammer] says: Give me your sword and I will enchant it. *Victim hands sword to scammer* [Scammer] says: ROFL NEWB! Thanks for the sword!
    What is a Guild Bank Theft?
    A Guild Bank Theft is the act of stealing items or money from a guild bank; specifically, the wrongful taking and removing of property, with malicious intent

What should I do if I get scammed or if contents of my guild bank are stolen?
    If you fall victim to a scam or guild bank theft, contact a member of our in-game support staff immediately. In situations where we can verify that a scam took place, a GM will attempt to intervene and assist the victim with the recovery of his/her item(s).

Will I get my item(s) and/or money back?
    Due to the many variables involved with item reimbursement and types of scams, item reimbursement is not guaranteed. We will make every effort to verify your particular case and, once verified, will try to assist in returning the missing item(s) to you. Please refer to our Character & Item Restoration Policy (Blizzard Support) for further details on recovering lost items.

I was scammed again! Can you help me?
    While we will make every effort to assist players in need, we want players to learn from their mistakes and take measures to ensure the same mistakes are not repeated. In this way, we prevent players from becoming career victims and utilizing the GM Staff as a crutch or shield against scammers. To this end, players will only be allowed a certain number of item restorations, including those lost to scams and guild bank theft.

I grouped with a "ninja-looter," can I get the item that I am entitled to returned?
    Players that loot an item out of turn or against the group's wishes do not meet the criteria for scamming, and will not be investigated by the GM Staff.

I purchased an item out of game and have not received my item! Can the GMs assist?
    If you are scammed out of game, we will be unable to assist you. We do not support, condone, or investigate these types of transactions, as all data contained on the World of Warcraft servers is property of Blizzard Entertainment and cannot be bought or sold without the express written permission of Blizzard Entertainment.

Tips to Avoid Becoming the Victim of a Scam/Theft

Never give your prized possessions to anyone that you do not trust.
    In World of Warcraft there should never be a reason to hand your items to an unknown player for any reason. Such things as casting enchantments to your items can be done safely through the secure trading window, with little risk to the player. Moving an item to the "Will not be traded" box in the secure trading window allows other players to cast enchantments, or other effects on an item without it ever leaving your possession. Be wary and display extreme caution to any player suggests a proposal or deal that involves trust.

Caveat Emptor (Buyer beware).
    Many scammers will attempt to use the auction houses as their tools of trade. Be diligent on what items you decide to purchase and the costs associated with each item. Always confirm the cost of the item before bidding or purchasing. In player to player transactions, confirm the item you are trading or purchasing before accepting the trade.

Real Blizzard Employees will never ask you for items or gold.
    GMs and other Blizzard Employees will never ask you to transfer your items to them. Be wary of players attempting to use the ***** of being a GM or Blizzard Employee to trick you into giving him/her your possessions. If a player ever attempts to defraud you in this fashion, contact a member of our in-game support staff immediately, via our "Help Request" feature, to report the issue.

Do not participate in cross Realm trades.
    We do not support the trading of gold or items across Realms (servers). If you engage in these types of transactions, the risk of being scammed is placed entirely on the player's shoulders.

Be cautious in the friends you make.
    Trust should be earned rather than given freely. Be careful in the friends and alliances you choose in game. When you join a group or guild, you are now governed by another player's rules. The choice to stay in a guild or group if you do not agree with their methods and practices is yours.

Keep your account information secret.
    Account sharing is against our TOU. All too frequently, scamming and account hacking can be attributed to account sharing. While you may develop meaningful relationships with those you meet online, anytime you share your information with another person, the security of your account is seriously compromised.

Update your guild permissions.
    As guild master, you are awarded the power and privileges to set withdrawal limits for your guild bank items and money. Exercise discretion with those you grant bank access to. Remember, withdrawals reset daily limiting the need to always allow the maximum withdrawal on a daily basis.

Validate all guild invites.
    It is common for multiple characters on an account to be in the same guild. Be sure the character you are inviting and promoting is actually the person they say they are. Asking the character to log onto the character they claim to be is a great way to deter imposters.

The bottom line is that we want World of Warcraft to be a fun and safe environment for all players. World of Warcraft is an MMORPG, and the key words are "Massively Multiplayer". In playing this game, you will encounter thousands of other players who share different experiences and come from vastly different backgrounds. Being scammed potentially negates hours of another player's time, and is an extremely anti-social action. We have done everything we can to make World of Warcraft a great game, but now it's up to you the players, to breathe life into the world. Choose wisely my friends.

[FAQ] Scams and Thefts