2/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MMOwned Hacked/Downtime Information

Alright, so at around 5:00am Sunday (Central Time) morning anyone trying to access MMOwned.com was shown a huge vBulletin message of the YouTube video "Ding Dong the Wicked Witch is dead"

The hacking actually started around 2am Sunday (Central Time) morning. Before the site went down and the video was put up, many elites and legendary user's accounts where banned or deleted. Remus3 was made a Super Moderator, and any new members joining were made Moderators. And reputation was given out freely in the shoutbawx to anyone that asked for it.

Obviously the site was hacked, and no matter what page you tried to view, all you saw was that video. Even the new addition, FPSOwned, was affected since it still uses the same domain as MMOwned.

If you notice in the bottom left of the previous screenshot, it says "Read i.ytimg.com"
    This stands for YouTube image server. The video the hacker chose was low quality, and in my opinion, annoying. The terms 'The wicked witch is dead!' could be referring to MMOwned, and the end of the video, right before it cuts off, is an explosion with all the munchkins running around. When clicking on the video to be linked to youtube to see the original, the URL in my address bar was YouTube - Fame "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead"

I'm not an expert on URL's but the '=http://www.mmowned.com' I think just means that's what i clicked the link from.

So word got around through AIM and MSN and text messaging, and people began to see the video and leave comments on it. The OP of the video saw that he had gotten over 9,000 views in the past 2 hours (Yes, over 9,000!!!) and saw that there were a lot of comments pertaining to the hacking of MMOwned, which he deleted.

Some of the messages I could salvage by hitting the back button were:

LyFeHeftydogg (3 minutes ago)
    Um, this video was pasted on a very popular WoW website. Sorry that you're now unvoluntarily involved, but atleast your video's gotten atleast 4,000 views in the past 3 hours

FameChannel (6 minutes ago)
    Would you ALL stop putting these comments about WOW...it had NOTHING to do with this video.

I am deleting all of the message not related to this viedo!

Ladimer1 (14 seconds ago)
    I DID NOT HACK THE SITE. figure out how to edit your post to say you THINK.
    i have already spoken with the admins on this and i know for fact it wasntme. and they can say that they know it is not me.

REMUS3

netherdust (41 minutes ago)
    i like the song

Neekeri89 (54 minutes ago)
    Keyloggers omg!

gonoszcsaba (55 minutes ago)
    OMG PWNT!%!!!!

predatorino (55 minutes ago)
    Update: MMOWNED site went down, probably had been shut down by Matt .............

Whopzer (57 minutes ago)
    **** YOU, YOU'LL MEET JUDGE JUDY SOON!

Neekeri89 (57 minutes ago)
    Damn retarded kids hacking websites -.-

predatorino (59 minutes ago)
    Prolly because he has nothing to do, or is a owner of another Exploits Site, and hacking let more ppl visit his site because the most famous go down, sry my sux english.
    I remember the times when the owner of Unkown thingy ( is a community like mmowned ) did a bruteforce attack + ip attack or wtf i don't remember very well .

Neekeri89 (1 hour ago)
    Question is, why the **** does someone wanna hack MMOwned?

predatorino (1 hour ago)
    If u search Ogh Wow on google u see ogh page, which use the webcrawl so u can see the posts made before the forum was nuked by the mother ****er,
    A person with the names : Remus3 teraman,teraman22,ravensp,Mangarsho,singaporepuppy ,marco ncd1995,IMBWPD tryed to hack the servber, he's the same person which made multiple accounts iwth, same accounts, matt banned it but i don't know , it was too late or the hacker has find a workaround , i am not expert of forums but surely mmowned got hacked

Tanzor1 (1 hour ago)
    OMG ****TARD GIEF MMowned BACK!!
    There were about 20 more, mostly just saying "L0L MMOwned got Owned!" and the like.

After admins were alerted, the site was taken offline to be updated to a newer version of vBulletin and to restore the database, and people were being told to change any passes that are related to their MMOwned account's pass.

This is true, you should be taking a few precautions such as changing any related passwords.

After a few hours, the site was back up with a new message

And then around 6:15pm (I'm central time) members started trickling back, with the site updated, but all threads and reputation lost for the past week. It's said that some members may have had their accounts deleted all together or their reputation randomly increased. If your personal account was affected in any way, please contact an admin or moderator.

Pay attention to any admin's or moderator's posts for more information on creative ways to get your reputation back to where it was, but you should be reposting your threads and move on. Also check out the awesome new features in member's public profiles!

I think I can speak for everyone when I say We love you MMOwned! Glad to have you back online!

Hope this was informative for the members of MMOwned.

UPDATE!!!

Tuesday evening, around 6pm central time, MMOwned's host was under ddos attack.

What is DDOS? Find out here Denial-of-service attack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a computer resource unavailable to its intended users. Although the means to, motives for, and targets of a DoS attack may vary, it generally consists of the concerted, malevolent efforts of a person or persons to prevent an Internet site or service from functioning efficiently or at all, temporarily or indefinitely.
    This prevented MMOwned members from accessing the forums successfully from 6pm Tuesday night, until around 7:30-8am Wednesday morning. Although you may have randomly been able to access the site, it may have taken longer, or you would only be able to access it once before the packets from the DDoS took up the bandwith, not allowing you to make it to a second page.

<admins feel free to edit/move/delete this thread> Thanks Demonkunga and Innit for the additional information.
    Last edited by Heftydogg; 05-14-2008 at 05:39 PM.

MMOwned Hacked/Downtime Information
    Sychotix's Avatar Moderator Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    285/572
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any leads to who did this?

Krip's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumors rumors rumors...

I never saw an official statement from an administrator that it really was hacked, but it could have been. On a side note that song/video is VERY annoying.

Enough with these threads btw:
    http://www.mmowned.com/forums/genera...wned-back.html

meoh's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hee hee hee

Acespades's Avatar Site Donator
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let the rumors stop NAO.. The site was hacked and it isn't the first time.
    I think half a day of down time is fine considering that we also got vb 3.7

PS: It was hacked. And then they updated.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McHyLKw5mHc"]YouTube - Fame "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead"[/ame]
    Last edited by Acespades; 05-04-2008 at 08:06 PM.

Current Record Holder: Most times banned on MMOwned

Demonshade's Avatar get in da van, i got epix

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep, it was hacked. Some members got banned, some got rep removed, some had rep added for no reason. After that every page was removed and the video was put up. The database was swapped with one that is a week old. This removed every post and thread and rep gained in the past week. While restoring the older DB the admins decided to throw in a VB update as well
    /AFK shower

KuRIoS's Avatar Admin
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    351/297
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeah we were expecting the downtime , unfortunately we didnt expect the 1 week drawback. but shit happens, thats what you get for being the biggest and best...
    just a reminder, change ur passes guys

Mr.Jebus Christ's Avatar Banned
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that was wierd i had 5 rep for about 2 weeks and it brought me back to 4 and in the lastest rep added i have 5 reps so wtf is up with that

KuRIoS's Avatar Admin
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    351/297
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by dice276 View Post
    that was wierd i had 5 rep for about 2 weeks and it brought me back to 4 and in the lastest rep added i have 5 reps so wtf is up with that
    unfortunately ... for you... that is not true, u had 4 rep 1 week ago. just went thru our logs m8,

AntonJ3000's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good you got it back up, What happend to FPSOwned?
    (I lost one rep point :O )

helios00100's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all i can say lol:P anywyaz we all love mmowned so stop the rumors...

Gripen2's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder why he picked just "The wich is dead" :S

DragonWaxter's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because it's annoying...

Well, for some reason, i think it was awesome. I mean - hack the best website ever, and put a crappy video on it. Just..... awesome xD.

But i'm SO glad MMOwned is back! Can't live without MMOwned.
    WZ7K4HW9XZW9

AntonJ3000's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Gripen2 View Post
    I wonder why he picked just "The wich is dead" :S