[Rogue] Depress about the -30% DMG Mutilate nerf? Un-Nerf Mutilate back to +50% DMG menu

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    G00DFe77a's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Rogue] Depress about the -30% DMG Mutilate nerf? Un-Nerf Mutilate back to +50% DMG

As all rogues know with 3.09 Mutilate was nerfed from doing +50% damage on poisoned targets to +20% damage resulting in a 30% DMG nerf on your primary attack. Blizzard buffed up some other talents to compensate for the nerf. This however did nothing for the rogues that love to PVP and drop big mutilates on players. I did not find this bug on my own, but I can confirm the results.

Here's a way to bring it back. If you spec in to Dirty Deeds it will give back the 30% damage you lost from the patch. Brining Mutilate back to where it belongs! Dirty Deeds is supposed to work for targets under 35% health, but right now with Mutilate its working even if the target is full health.

Here's some links to proof.

Mutilate with Dirty Deeds without Poisons:
    WoW Meter Online - The Best World of Warcraft Combat Log Analyse System!Fully support Wrath of the Lich King!

Mutilate with Dirty Deeds with Poisons:
    WoW Meter Online - The Best World of Warcraft Combat Log Analyse System!Fully support Wrath of the Lich King!

Mutilate Hits with Dirty Deeds increase: 483 (No Poison) ---> 1147 (Poison) = ~50% Increase
    Mutilate Crits with Dirty Deeds increase: 726 (No Poison) ---> 1694 (Poison) = ~47% Increase

If the sample sizes were larger it will balance out to the 50% increase, but it definitely proves that its doing more than the +20% that its supposed to do.

So Rogues take your daggers back out and wipe away your tears. Its time to spec into Mutilate again, just to remember to spec Dirty Deeds along with it. It might take a couple of re-specs to make it bug, so try re-specing a few times if it doesnt work.
    Last edited by G00DFe77a; 02-13-2009 at 08:34 PM.

[Rogue] Depress about the -30% DMG Mutilate nerf? Un-Nerf Mutilate back to +50% DMG
    BonutDot's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still not feasible for pve 51/13/7 builds, but I guess it would be decent for a pvp build if your target is under 20% health.

bmxer4481's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dirty deeds is working as intended. That is not really bringing mutilate back...

BonutDot's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT: wtf double post my intarwebs suck

G00DFe77a's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you're missing the point. Dirty Deeds is suppose to work for targets under 35%, but its currently working on full health targets. Edited OP to reflect this.

Omnia's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kazaaa's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mutilate got nerfed, the talent is working as intendent
    Mutilate is dead

ugot's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only for PVP though.. im loving my extra 300-400 dps from this patch.

Pwntzyou's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any rogue that says mutilate is dead in this thread is obviously a bad one, while they were trying to nerf mutilate's burst capability, they nerfed the wrong thing... 130 energy and overkill was where the burst was coming from

<3 MysterioussouL for the sig

dumdedum's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Omnia View Post
    Ming is a fking retard, as is anyone who even visits that website. Mutilate was nerfed.

Abelpwnzyou's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you didn't notice... you were doing this in the Heroic Training dummy, I dont know if your server is REALLY low populated but in mine, the heroic training dummy is always at ~1%(unless after a server restart). In other words under 30% health, nice try though trying to get some easy +rep :S.

Marroc's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really wish people would actually DO the math on this shit before posting wildly.

Mutilate was nerfed by only 20% in TOTAL damage. ONLY THE POISON BONUS GOT NERFED.

Say your weapons (combined) hit for 400 total. A pre-nerf mutilate would hit for 600 (400 + 400 * 0.5). A post-nerf mutilate would hit for 480 (400 + 400 * 0.2).

480 / 600 = 0.8

0.8 * 100 = 80% of the original mutilate.

Just to simplify that for those of you who failed math... Mutilate was hitting for 150% vs. poisoned targets, now it hits for 120% vs. poisoned targets. 120/150 =0.8 = 80% (20% reduction in total damage).

(Napkin math above. Passive mutilate bonus damage and talents are ignored since they're irrelevant to the point I was making).

This, coupled with the fact that you're likely hitting a training dummy with less than 35% health (pointed out above by Abelpwnzyou), means while your mutilate lost 20% of its total damage, you're gaining it back form dirty deeds.

Also since I'm here I might as well comment on the nerf itself:

In PvP, your 2k hits only get reduced to 1,600 hits. 400 off an attack is not going to really change the outcome of most pvp encounters. Just to put in perspective, most PvP fights (at least the ones the nerf was planned to address) were the 3-4 mutilate fights. 400 damage off each of 4 mutilates is 1,600 damage lost. Coincidently this comes out to almost exactly one additional mutilate. That's 60 additional energy needed in the fight, and I assure you that any rogue worth their salt can last an additional 6 seconds in pvp, especially given that those fights weren't lasting more than 30 seconds to begin with.

They nerfed the WRONG thing. Overkill and the vigor glyph are indeed what needed to be nerfed, not mutilate.

And that's just in PvP... In PvE they only nerfed the damage by 14% (due to the 6% passive buff to hfb). The nerf was minor, and the buff was great. Rogues really didn't lose anything in the deal XD
    Last edited by Marroc; 02-14-2009 at 03:59 AM.

hugmepls's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it isnt even that bad in pvp cause, as pwntzyou stated, it was 130 energy and overkill that made rogue's burst so high..

and we've still got that

m5k's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rogues are still op, why bother.

Thimpey's Avatar Member