2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Class requirements in spell tables?

I'm working on a personal project and got stumped at this hurdle.

One of the things I'm doing is making the game be less class-restrictive, for example I want all classes to be able to equip all weapons, use all spells etc.

For items, that was pretty simple, found an "allowableclass" field in item templates, set it to -1 on everything and voila.

But for spells, I looked through all the tables and dbs and couldn't find anything related to that. To be specific, the first thing I'm trying to change is allow everyone to wear plate. After that, allow everyone to learn every weapon skill.

Now the first issue is, I tried bruteforcing it and did .learn (plate skill spell id) and that didn't do anything, didn't even spit a message back. I then tried to .cast the spell that trainers cast on you when you buy the skill and the spell activated but did nothing.

The second issue is that the skill spell for a weapon for example can be learned by a combination of half of the classes and not by the other classes. Meaning it's not a single field somewhere in spell tables that defines the allowed class, but maybe some obscure flags in the class tables. But I looked through that with no luck either.

I stumbled upon a similar issue when trying to allow all classes to tame and have pets. I again bruteforced the tame spell and was met with a similar result. All this is giving me a hunch that classes are a very rigid framework and can't be messed with. But I know a few servers that broke those bounds significantly so it is possible.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get over this hurdle? Idek where to start looking. I'm using brotalnia's light's hope 1.12 repack if that's relevant. Thanks.

Class requirements in spell tables?
    MoneyPress's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I struck gold! I was looking in the wrong place. It's not the spell that's class-restricted - it's the skill. It's in the appropriately named "SkillRaceClassInfo.dbc".

I couldn't figure out the bitmask I had to replace it with, and couldn't be bothered to find every single skill id, so I went big brain and just replaced all fields with 8 and it worked. Didn't even get 15 error messages in the server too.

Edit: For posterity, you need a database editing software, WDBX editor is made specifically for wow dbs. You then need to open skillraceclassinfo.dbc with it. In my case that's in mangos/data/(version)/dbc. You then need to find the skillID of the skill you want to change, and change its RaceMask or ClassMask to a bitmask you desire. How you figure out the bitmask you need to replace it with? I don't know, you'll have to figure that out by yourself. In my case I replaced classmask with 8 on every row because I know 8 is rogue and that's what I plan on playing. You might be able to replace it with 0 or -1 to make it available to every class/race, but I didn't try it, make a backup of the file if you do.
    Last edited by MoneyPress; 09-28-2023 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to include what exactly I did for posterity

MoneyPress's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To confirm, I tested it and you can just replace the RaceMask or ClassMask field with 0 to allow all races/classes to learn the skill. It's weird that a 0 wasn't used originally for skills like professions which are available to all classes and races, so this might cause some problems at some point but I'll update if I ever encounter one.