Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Dedicated Server Setup] How do I setup a dedicated wow server?

I am purchasing a Server tower next week and i have the "private" server running on a VPC on my iMac right now. VPC is Windows 7 x64 (64-bit) OS and Server is ArcEmu 2731 (More Info on Repack)

I currently own my own website as a Host Gator Domain & Server. But I will be FTPing my site to my Dedicated server when it arrives... Now i would like to integrate PHPbb Registration to accompany my wow server (as my wow server will not be private but dedicated/public)

i have tinkered with the MySQL databases on my website trying to find a way to allow my private server to become public due to registration on my public site. No Luck..... but i was thinking... running my server off of the web-host alongside my website, and therefore creating a much compatible bridge between the WOW Server and My website Login/Registration Database.

Now my question(s) is/are how would i run a repack on a dedicated server, (if able to in the first place)? If i cannot, how in the world do I run a dedicated server?

like i said above, my plan originally was to ftp my site to the Server Tower along with the WOW Server Repack. But will i still be able to run the repack from a web-host or home server?
    Last edited by iTweak; 03-27-2010 at 01:28 AM.

[Dedicated Server Setup] How do I setup a dedicated wow server?
    Zze's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just compile it your self?

And hosting your MySQL from a non local connection isn't secure.

Kiev's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ Thats a really irelevent answer.

Dedicated server meaning just a simple web host? Then no you cant put your server on it. You will need one with RDC (Remote Desktop Connection), usually to be able to run a WoW server on it. You just need to config the files to allow connections from a remote host, you will always have a compatible bridge if you config the files correctly. If you need help on this ill be happy to help, PM me for my MSN.

And yes, you will be able to run the website from anywhere, and have the repack on your localhost.

iTweak's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i were to compile it myself... (which i recently have) how am i to edit the scripts to run on a web host or local server?...

what i am looking for exactly... Top 100 WoW Private Servers... they are dedicated servers correct? where the realmlist.wtf points to a subdomain on their server they are running their website on...

that is what i am asking how to do... im quite a novice, but i am a quick learner and that is why im trying to host my own dedicated/web hosted WoW server.

>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

id really like to host a website or 2 off of it.

i have a paid webost through host gator right now, so i could essentially do the same thing as my local server? but i could really use a tutorial/walkthrough (one on one) to help me set it all up...

ps> is it possible to run a mangos/arcemu/trinitycore server on a local server like the one i am explaining?
    Last edited by iTweak; 03-28-2010 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can host a server on local host, but the IP to connect to will be different when you make it public. With your webhost deal, you cant actually use that to host a server, you would have to use a dedicated server and ask them to set you up with a webserver attached to it. Theres many different ways to do this, but if you want it on the same one you will need to talk to Hostgator about that. And see what they can do for you.

iTweak's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is there any way that you can walk me through this?

say i got a server tower with windows server 2008 (maybe 2k5, not sure right now)

and i want to run wow public server with DNS domain as say wow.example.com and my main website as say www. example.com ..

players would change their realm list to wow.example.com and be able to play as long as they registered on www. example.com (now i know this means editing the php script on my forum so that it creates the user in the ascent db but we'll act like i already know how to do that)

how would i (after port forwarding, if needed) run the server off my server tower to the internet and allow players to access my website (on the server) and connect to the server tower hosting wow public server...

really dumb it down for me please, i know it may be a lot of time from you but i would really appreciate it, i just would like to know how to host the website and the server off the server tower and allow players to connect and play wow publicly via my server tower running arcemu ascent 3.3.3 server core. and not only would i learn from it but others may also learn something as well... it might be expensive but im already planning on what tower im going to get (me and my dad, hes helping me get the hardware set up)

oh and im 20 by the way, just not so network savvy with these kinds of things (especially when it comes to new subjects like server towers and how to run them)

now with all that being said, the BIG PICTURE:

Code:
    Run a Server Tower (OS: Windows Server 2K?) hosting a php-based website allowing 
    users/players to register, and then easily play WoW by changing their realmlist. 
    wtf to wow. example.com and sign in using their username and password from the
    website
    simple as that, although the process may be long and rigorus, im willing to take it to the end! I am dedicated as ever to learn this and host my website integrated with registration for my wow public server running of the same domain and allowing players to play my wow public server using their username/password from the site.

(repeated myself i know, but i tried to explain it as many different ways as possible so as you can understand what im really asking)

not too worried about hostgator as its only temporary for my website, i was just wondering if i was able to host wow public server from the registered hostgator domain, thus making it easier to transfer to my tower when i bought it.

please and thank you in advance...

PS> if you cannot help me, please try to point me to where i could get help to the end, as ive googled yahoo'd ask.com'd and registered and searched on over 3 dozen wow private server forums to get this information and cant seem to find anything in the right direction, it all talks about port forwarding and hosting from a computer.
    Last edited by iTweak; 04-02-2010 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would love to talk you through this, when you do get this working i can see you getting far and being a dedicated admin.

So you wish to be able to have your Login address for WoW the same as your webhost? This directly i do not know how to do, although the concept seems simple at first. What i would presume, is that in your "www.example.com" domain, you have a addon domain of "logon.example.com", and then forward this to your server address, (A Option i think that is enabled after adding it, you can choose where to point it too...?), then direct this to the IP of your server tower, therefore when people use "logon.example.com", it connects through that to the Server Tower IP, thus making it seem like its hosted on a webhost.

This could be going on the wrong route, but this is as far as i know.

Another thing you could do, is get a Server Tower, (If your buying it from a company and they keep it...) then ask them if its okay to use a application like Wamp to host a website on that server tower, this would then allow you to have the same webaddress and not have to use your domain to forward them to your server IP, it would be like this: Buy a domain name, set it to access your server address, use your server tower to host a website, using port 80, while having the WoW server running too, using other ports. This will then give you the Logon address of your domain, and the web address, because it connects using different ports.

If you need this explaining further, then please do not feel afraid to ask for more help!

iTweak's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok first... i just bought my server tower, i got a new router and switch that allows for more ethernet ports so my mom and dad can have their 2 pc's connected into the ports and then the switch would have my server plugged in... i know the "hardware" setup... kk

now as far as the software and how to set it up. im completely lost... i kinda understand what your saying as far as the login. example.com and stuff like that but my goal is to have (like other private servers) is to let the players type a web address into the realm list instead of an ip. like run the wow server on wow. example.com and the website on "www.example.com". players would register and login to the website and with the same exact login they would be able to connect to "wow.example.com" on their realmlist.wtf and instantly connect to the partition/subdomain on my server dedicated to the wow private server portion of the server...

scenario

User registers on my website and wants to play on the private server. He uses "Alfred" as his username and "abc123" as his password, he/she then changes their realmlist.wtf to :

Code:
    set realmlist wow.example.com
    they can now login to the server on wow, using "Alfred" and "abc123" and play just like hosting on hamachi or using my pc as a server.

/scenario

i can maybe get the coding figured out so the login php script makes the account on my wow private server database (probibly just adding a code for sql query on the login.php and some other files in the phpbb folder, but not sure)

i just need A LOT of help getting the public private server running on my server tower. you may have to dumb it WAYY down for me so i can do it right but idk we'll see... my server is ordered and its the ........

ASUS TS Mini SOHO Home Server w/ Intel Atom N280 1.66GHz 1GB DDR2 500GB HDD installed, powered by Windows Home Server - Retail
    Item# N82E16859110001
    on newegg.com if you wanna look it up.

if you need anymore info just ask, i appreciate your help VERY much! oh!

im going to try to run ArcEmu (WoW Patch 3.3.3) using Ascent DataBase.

step by step please! starting . after one would set the equipement up.. then what?

PS>i cant pm until i make one more post on the forums, and i dont want to double post so ill just wait for a reply
    Last edited by iTweak; 04-02-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: PS Note.

RyeRye's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heres some tips.

1.)For your database use WhyDB, if you need a link or whatever reply back and ill help you. I've always used WhyDB, it works out great for me.

2.) You won't find much information on most of your Emulation questions from google/yahoo whatever, stick around to MMOwned, become a dedicated member, post out more, help out with what you know, and before you know it you will be a Contributor.

3.) You seem like a good dude, someone who learns quick, and someone that sticks with what they do. I hope you luck in your future with Emulation, and if you ever need help with anything, i'm decent at this stuff, so I could give you a hand, just let me know.

I just thought I should give you some tips or what not.

Cheers!
    RyeRye

iTweak's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    idk about sticking with my plans, but because i already bought my server and stuff i kinda made a dedication to myself that i would do this, plus family is telling me that this wouldnt work, and that i would give up, but i want this to go big and look good...

about private servers and donations and prizes for donations ect, can i get sued by blizzard for distributing their game elements for donations ? ie: if i offered x tokens (i custom create the tokens) for $x.xx and in game they can exchange the tokens for items of high value (teir armor for example) ... can i get sued? for distribution of data assets/intellectual properties? i would assume they would just ask me to shut down if it ever got to be a problem with their marketing going down due to their players joining my site/server (highly doubt due to how many other servers there are out there with more profit than i may ever get), but idk... so ill ask

my server should be here monday, and i can ask more detailed questions then, have either of you hosted a server like this before (not that it deters me from listening to your advise or anything) -- just curious.

whats the difference between databases/cores? (not sure exactly what DB's there are out there but....) and what is the easiest core to use, my brother used mangos before and said it was really easy to setup and more GM commands and in game commands ect but im (kinda) farmilliar with arcemu at this point although it isnt as user friendly as mangos is, and what about trinitycore? those seem to be the highest valued server cores right now... and i believe all 3 are now upgraded to 3.3.3 Patch, but which one is best, if any of them are even suited for what im trying to do.

im actually glad i found this site, it seems there is alot of assistance here. and i appreciate all the help that you guys are giving me!
    Last edited by iTweak; 04-03-2010 at 05:11 AM.

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They wont really know about you, till you become a big shot server such as WoWScape WAS. They have only acted on WoW scape, well, they sent out notices to a few other servers, but none got shut down i beleieve.

Although, that method of donation is not the best, as some players will find it unfair, leading to less Non Donors (Might not seem like a big deal, right?) Wrong, this will just have a server of donors who will get bored, and there wont be many of them. Im not saying dont offer something for donations, but add a bigger spree to what they can do with it.

As for the help you need now, although i could write down what i wrote above in a simpler version, i would much rather to talk over MSN, where its easier and more... at hand. If you could PM me your MSN ill happily offer you assistance over there.

And for the DB/Core, i would go with what you are comfortable with, for me, thats also ArcEmu, MaNGOS is good, and is more built up for a blizzlike server, whereas ArcEmu is more "fun" server. TrinityCore is a derivative of MaNGOS and i dont know much about it im afriad. Most of the top servers actually use a private core most of the time, they have a few C++ coders that fix everything instead of relying on others. For Databases i WOULD reccomend WhyDB for ArcEmu, its pretty much the most updated.

Kiev,

2dgreengiant's Avatar ★ Elder ★

Thanks G/R
    1/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a repack

Edit the configs to your ip address of the dedi and the mysql info

Run it

It's done..

Then once you have the server public work on the reg page and such There are 9001 guides on here on how to do all i have said above

edit: IFDB is more updated than whydb
    If you need me you have my skype, if you don't have my skype then you don't need me.

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2d If only that would be the answer to it, since i now know that hes running it off his own host, that makes everything much easier :P.

iTweak's Avatar Corporal
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have everything i need now - i think - (server arrived today) . lol the server is small... but neway

im not sure how its supposed to work, on the server it says "run your home network on a server" or something like that, and its designed for file sharing?

how would php run then?

ill pm you my IM information, im running a mac, so i dont use MSN
    Last edited by iTweak; 04-07-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont use aim :/, ill download it soon.

Aslong as you can put files on it, and it allows things to be run on it, you can download something like Wamp or Xamp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast