0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some questions about Emulation.

Hello! I have a few questions about WoW Emulation!

My first question, is there are several different servers to choose from! ArcEmu, Ascent, Hearthstone... Which one works as the best base? The server I plan to make will be custom instances, and items. I have quite a bit of experience in some LUA scripts, and simply spawning and creating custom instances and items that are fun to players . The base I need needs to be reliable, and able to be updated. But Some of these things I'm not quite sure of yet. So which is the best base to start from?

I don't compile my server really, I've read guides and everything how to do it, but I'm not quite sure why it is a benefit to my server. Do any of you know why?

There are two kinds of scripting I'm pretty sure for in-game monsters. C++ and LUA. Which one is better to use? That has more features? And either one, do any of you know a good list of commands, or a good guide?

Also, I am curious how to make icons on custom items work. Usually on any custom items on any server it's a question mark. Is there any way I can get that to change?

Thanks, I have a lot more questions, but I'll start with these. Thanks to anybody that can help me. I really appreciate it.

Some questions about Emulation.
    The-Eradicator's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TrinityCore is a popular choice for Blizzard servers, where I believe most people used ArcEmu for funservers. However, I find TrinityCore superior to everything for both blizzlike & funservers. It does require a bit of extra effort, but it's worth it in the end. It's certainly a very stable core, and it doesn't take much to run. In your case, i'd recommend TrinityCore for sure, because just adding items and creatures it's no different than anything else and is superior (imo) anyway.

Compiling the server means you have control. You can pick and choose what you want in your core. There's no telling what someone might put in your core, for all you know there's a backdoor that gives them database access or GM rights on the server if they happened to log on. Repacks can be unstable as well, if you compile the core yourself you can just update things fairly painlessly, but with a repack you have a lot more work to do when updating.

As for your scripting question, C++ is always superior to Lua. C++ runs everything, Lua is run by C++ (basically), thus it's slower. On top of that, C++ is the server, so it's obviously going to be more powerful versus Lua's few functions. Overall, I think the only reason to use Lua would be if your only running your server locally, efficiency doesn't matter, and you don't know any programming.

No, you can't fix icons. There is an addon around, but that's a clientside issue which is up to the player.
    Last edited by The-Eradicator; 07-21-2009 at 07:21 PM.