Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Real life warcrafters request help w/ their virtual avatars :)

Greetings from "The Sandbox!" :wave:

I'm currently stationed in Iraq with the 75th Ranger Regiment, and have been for some time trying to build a working WoW server to entertain myself and my brothers in our little free time.

Here's our 3 major probs:

1: Characters work fine until they reach 80. Then, when the first achievement after leveling to 80 is reached, character gets stuck on worldport, or in-out of an instance. Loading-bar reaches full and stays there. Nothing changes for that character upon server reboot, while others can still log in. Sometimes it works to delete the achievements tab w/ Navicat, some others doesn't.

2: No event quest works. Most kill/gather quests do, but those involving area triggers, generic not specifically named mobs ("kill 10 scourge") and those using quest items on mobs/locations etc, don't.

3: Very few NPCs attack in any way other than physically (if any at all--haven't logged in a while and forgot). No spell-casting, no fleeing, no stages in dungeon bosses.

We are using Keazain's daily compile stuff, Arcemu 2537 (you made it in the Sandbox, Keazain. Hooah!)

Sorry if a similar question was already posted and possibly answered. There's 2 of us who know (yet very little) about all this, and we of late have very little time, so couldn't browse the site thoroughly.

Thanks in advance to those who will try to help and apologies for having too little knowledge to offer anything in compensation, except maybe our presence down here.

God Bless
    RLTW!
    Last edited by yellowd; 07-16-2009 at 03:42 AM.

Real life warcrafters request help w/ their virtual avatars :)
    The-Eradicator's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by yellowd View Post
    1: Characters work fine until they reach 80. Then, when the first achievement after leveling to 80 is reached, character gets stuck on worldport, or in-out of an instance. Loading-bar reaches full and stays there. Nothing changes for that character upon server reboot, while others can still log in. Sometimes it works to delete the achievements tab w/ Navicat, some others doesn't.

2: No event quest works. Most kill/gather quests do, but those involving area triggers, generic not specifically named mobs ("kill 10 scourge") and those using quest items on mobs/locations etc, don't.

3: Very few NPCs attack in any way other than physically (if any at all--haven't logged in a while and forgot). No spell-casting, no fleeing, no stages in dungeon bosses.
    That just means your emulator isn't very good. Try TrinityCore 2.

stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your basically using already compiled cores, which are usually full of bugs which you can not fix because it is already compiled.
    What I advise you do, is have a look through the emulater discussions threads (about first 3 pages) and find out some general information about each emulater. Once you have found the one you want, go to their website and read about it. Read through there threads, find out what problems people have and what you do to fix them. Now go to there changelog, see what they fixed, try to avoid using the newest revision because it might have a major bug they havn't noticed. Now you have the required information you need to go into emulater server guides and read up on how to compile. Download all the stuff from the emulater you decided to use and all the programs you will need, and simple compile and get on with it.
    There is no way to get around it, to setup a decent server you need to spend a while researching on what to do, otherwise if you pickup a random core (for example Keazain's) it may be full of bugs and you cant fix any of them (as you have encounted).
    Wish you luck and sorry I cant be of more help, feel free to ask more questions if you have any. The reason I don't do what a lot of people here do, by saying a emulater and database you should use is because there isn't one. They change so much and the drama around the emulaters is quite strong at the moment, and you just need to find out for yourself. You don't need to know any scripting to be able to compile a server, it's just trying to navigate through the amount of files/folders and doing it all in the right order.
    Again, good luck!

Edit: You can see my point as to what Eradicater did. State the emulater you love most!

yellowd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Eradicator:
    Excelent, i'll give Trinity a try. I'd be very grateful if you could provide a link to download a repack since our connection down here went tango-uniform, so i get 15mins of internet use daily and i really get no time to check but my mail.

+Rep for the help
    RLTW!

@Stoneharry:
    I see your point. Only prob is research needs time, and spare time is a luxury in a war zone. So i'll just trust you instead--you clearly know more than I, anyhow. If you proposed me your favorite repack and a link to it you'd make me a happy grunt.

Thanks, and +Rep
    RLTW!

grandmst20's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll lend you a hand if you supply with with some info.

1. What game client are you using? Version and locale.
    2. Do you prefer a specific core (emulator)?
    3. Is it just a local server, like single player on one machine?

yellowd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ grandmst20:

Awesome!

1. It's 3.0.9. We got it from some British boys, so i'm pretty sure it's EU locale. We'll be able to get our hands on 3.1 soon, though, so we wouldn't mind upgrading (if it's stable)
    2. We are pretty much accustomed to Arcemu commands now, so we'd rather get that--again, if it's stable. But if you can only point to a decent repack for another emulator, we'll gladly go for it.
    3. Yeah, for the time being. Doesn't seem like it's gonna change any time soon either; got neither the skills nor the equipment to go any further.

Thanks and +Rep in advance!
    RLTW!

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, well Mangos isn't too different than ArcEmu. ArcEmu is more for 3.0.9 and Mangos is more geared towards 3.1.3.

I don't make repacks, but tonight when I get home I'll put together some files for you to download. I just need to know, do you care much about scripts? Like certain Boss fights? Some scripts are built in and others not. Usually on my servers I leave those things out, but if you want them I'll see what I can do about merging them in.

ArcEmu + Rival DB for 3.0.9
    Mangos + UDB for 3.1.3

Both are easy to use, if you wan't I'll make a simple guide for both explaining how to config and such. I don't know what you do/don't know about setting up servers, so just let me know and I'll explain. By the way, I'm on AIM/MSN and I check my email a lot, so if you use that and I'm online send me something and I'll get back to you quicker.

AIM: grandmst20
    MSN: [email protected]
    Email: [email protected]

Some quick info on each emulator:

Aspire (Hearthstone): Supposedly a more updated/better scripted Ascent. 3.0.9 (3.1.3 possibly?)
    ArcEmu: A lot of coding taken from Ascent, not sure about stability. 3.0.9
    Mangos: From what I've experienced a pretty stable core. 3.1.3
    TrinityCore2: A branch off from Mangos, updated more and working on more important bugs. 3.1.3
    Trinity-Zero: A new project designed for vanilla WoW, PreBC. 1.12.1

But like I said, I won't be able to start helping you until tonight, because I'm not home, but I'm more than happy to help you guys out.
    Last edited by grandmst20; 07-17-2009 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Updated

yellowd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dayumn, look at this! Feels as if we got our our private USO! Many thanks!

Core: Ok, so lets move to Mangos, then. If stability will entail TrinityCore or not i'll leave it up to you.

Boss fight scripts: You can leave out anything that is a pain. If we ever manage to get our hands on more gear for multiplayer, maybe i could bother you again for those?
    Don't know if that's scripts or not, but we'd really like being able to have environment quests working. As in: use X item on Y mob/game object>Y mob/go then transforms/activates, etc. Hope this noob is clear

What i know: Nothing except the basic stuff i learned from repack readme's and the even smaller things i picked up along the way. Never had Mangos, so we'd be much obliged if you could put together a readme, if it's not much trouble.

We're really pleased to know someone back home got our 6 on this! Take your time, of course.

Best from me and the boys, and thanks a bunch!
    RLTW!
    Jay
    B/3/75 RGR (A)

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah it's my pleasure. Consider it my way of thanking you guys for what you're doing haha. I'll put together files later tonight with instructions on what to do. What you're wanting with the quests is more database oriented, so I should be able to have that work for you easily.

The-Eradicator's Avatar Contributor

Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by yellowd View Post
    Dayumn, look at this! Feels as if we got our our private USO! Many thanks!

Core: Ok, so lets move to Mangos, then. If stability will entail TrinityCore or not i'll leave it up to you.

Boss fight scripts: You can leave out anything that is a pain. If we ever manage to get our hands on more gear for multiplayer, maybe i could bother you again for those?
    Don't know if that's scripts or not, but we'd really like being able to have environment quests working. As in: use X item on Y mob/game object>Y mob/go then transforms/activates, etc. Hope this noob is clear

What i know: Nothing except the basic stuff i learned from repack readme's and the even smaller things i picked up along the way. Never had Mangos, so we'd be much obliged if you could put together a readme, if it's not much trouble.

We're really pleased to know someone back home got our 6 on this! Take your time, of course.

Best from me and the boys, and thanks a bunch!
    RLTW!
    Jay
    B/3/75 RGR (A)
    Originally Posted by grandmst20 View Post
    Nah it's my pleasure. Consider it my way of thanking you guys for what you're doing haha. I'll put together files later tonight with instructions on what to do. What you're wanting with the quests is more database oriented, so I should be able to have that work for you easily.
    I can vouch that TrinityCore is stable. Either of you can contact me by PM or MSN ( [email protected] ) if you need any help.

yellowd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ grandmst20:
    Ah, you're good people, man! /salute!

questions: I understand 3.1 introduces changes in characters. Is there an SQL i should insert to adjust the already existing characters? Also, should i reset talent points on my last 3.0.9 log-in to prevent any conflicts before i update to 3.1? Lastly, since download rates in the Sandbox are FUBAR, do you know of a site other than the official WoW's that has the patches?

@ The-Eradicator:
    At this point what we'll use is entirely up to grandmst20. He, too, seems to guarantee TrinityCore's stability, and chances are it's what he'll use. I'm sure he'll read you and consider it, at least.

RLTW, and see you after patrol!
    Jay

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, FilePlanet: Free PC Games, Downloads, Mods, Demos, Patches & Maps has mirrors for the patches, its servers are pretty damn fast. The patch is like 600mb though, so you'll have to let me know if you can upgrade to 3.1.3.

As for Mangos and Trinity I'll test both and see which will work better for your needs. Can you do me a favor and back up your character database and upload it? I'll integrate it in the new one for ya. I use Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire for uploads, it's pretty good.

As for talents, they're fine.

Sounddead's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, if you guys are looking for a bug free enviroment that won't be a hassel to set up, go with TrinityCore 2. It has support for the latest patch, has the most bugless experiance, scripted raids, and combined with UDB (The Database for MaNGOS) it is the overall best emulator on the scene right now.

Grandmst, get them a TrinityCore 2 repack with UDB.

And btw guys, great job over seas and know that you have support from everyone in North America
    Last edited by Sounddead; 07-17-2009 at 11:04 PM.

I live in a shoe

Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Sounddead View Post
    IMO, if you guys are looking for a bug free enviroment that won't be a hassel to set up, go with TrinityCore 2. It has support for the latest patch, has the most bugless experiance, scripted raids, and combined with UDB (The Database for MaNGOS) it is the overall best emulator on the scene right now.

Grandmst, get them a TrinityCore 2 repack with UDB.

And btw guys, great job over seas and know that you have support from everyone in North America
    Yeah that's what I was planning.

yellowd's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Grandmst:
    Sweet, i'll try my best to upload the SQL sometime Sunday. :yourock2:

@ Sounddead:
    Many thanks and a loud HOOAH! from the boys in the platoon, bro! :hug: It's being aware of that support that keeps us all going.

RLTW!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast