0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[WIP] Bin Utils for Private Server

NLG Bin Utils

Intro
    This post is just a compilation of some of my notes for this project, If something seems unclear please tell me so I can fix it.

This product is not relased yet since there is work to be done in the WoW Installation finder. When it's released it will be under the GNU-GPL Licence. The code is in C# and the release will include a SDK for other developers to use.

Please post feature requests/bug reports here, Thanks.

NLG Bin Utils is a collection of tools for people who use private servers often or Private Server Owners who want to give thier users a extra treat, like a cool launcher that doesn't compromise thier security.

Why?
    There are two major problems I encounter when I use private servers

Changing the Realmlist
    When working with private servers there's always the always the problem of remembering various realmlists. There are alot of tools out there for editing the realmlist but none of them seem to be usable from the command line, thats bad because I like many others feel that using the command line is a faster way of using your computer.

Private Server Launching
    When it comes to launching wow many private servers include a Launcher, it may scare some users because they don't want the private server owner to steal thier retail account.

The solution to this problem is to have a trusted source (Yeah, I'm Lazy leecher) to provide the users with a universal launcher that works everywhere. The Private Server only needs to host some HTML for the universal launcher to display

Included applications:

realmList changes Realmlist.wtf and can backup it/ restore from back up. Realmlist is a very simple utility and it's in the project because of it's ease of use.

Examples:
    Code:
    realmList eu - set realmlist to eu.realmlist.worldofwarcraft.com
    realmList us - guess ^^
    realmList change [address] - changes the realmlist
    realmList backup [file]    - backs up your realmlist to a file
    realmList backup           - creates a backup with a a timestamp for it's name
    realmList restore [file]   - restores the realmlist from a file
    realmList patchList [address] - changes the patchlist
    realmSave advanced saving utility. It can save a realmlist and some comments about it

Saves name, RealmList address, Text and a appData(data for use by the other binutils)

Code:
    realmSave save Some_Cool_Server - saves your current realmList calling it 'Some Cool Server' 
    realmSave save LocalMangos localhost - Saves localhost as localMangos
    realmSave load  LocalMangos - Sets your realmList to LocalMangos (localhost)

realmDL Download a .wsrv file from a http host this file can be added to your realmSave if requested
    realmDL Format:
    Code:
    Name|realmlist|text|comment [newline]
    Name|realmlist|text|comment [newline]
    realmPROT - handles wps:// links | installation of PROT WoWLaunchers:
    Not Yet Implemented
    Example:
    Code:
    wps://realmlist.example.com/reg:example.com/3.2.1
    wps://[realmlist:port]/[req:link to reg page]/[patch]
    wbuGUI - GUI using all of the tools

wowInstMan - manages your wow installations
    Good when you have multiple versions of wow installed
    Making your Bin utils target WOTLK is only a click away

wql - (wowquicklaunch) launches wow with arguments

wowLaunch - launch wow with a gui, can be used for custom launchers (if we have a realmSave with a custom launcher tag)

psMonD - a server for monitoring your private server, Very simple to set up. It runs on port 878.
    It can shutdown processes on the machine and start new ones. If some of your applications are causing a memory leak just make psMonD restart it when it reaches a high memory usage.

If you rather like SSH here is a link to OpenSSH for windows sshwindows.sf.net: OpenSSH for Windows (requires cygwin)

psMassmail - sends mails to all(or a group of) players on your Private Server

patchListD - provide a patchlist for your players (very very exprimental) so you can deliver patches

Lets you decide when your player should patch (uses the wow launcher)

History

9/8 - First Announcement

[WIP] Bin Utils for Private Server