Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installer For Debian (Run a private WoW server, easy as 1 - 2 - 3)

Alright so I got tired of the folks over at Trinity deleting my posts about the auto installer I've created so I figured I'd post here and see if anyone likes it. The folks at trinity don't like it when someone makes it "too easy" to install a server.

About this release:
    - Requires Debian (A Linux Distribution Operating System) version 4 or 5
    - Automatically Installs Trinity Core, all required repositories and sets up the database.
    - Asks you if you would like to install apache2 and phpmyadmin so that you can setup a site and a core.
    - Automatically sets up the config files with database information.
    - Requires you to edit/add only a single line to the database (enter the reamlist information).
    - Automatically downloads the map/vmap data from my server so that you don't have to extract it yourself.
    - Generates random mysql and phpmyadmin passwords.

This is as close to a plug and play option as it gets...

Trinity Core Installer

Upcoming Features:
    - Added functionality for ALL linux distributions.
    - Automatic realmlist "adding" and server startup on finish.
    - Bug reporting to my servers.
    - Automatic updater via cron that checks for and installs new trinity core updates once every 72 hours taking the server offline for 15 minutes and rebooting it.
    - Uptime checker, if the server(s) go down the system will restart them automatically.
    - The ability to select various addons such as a MALL for your users or instant 80 upon character creation.

Current Version: 0.4.3a
    Last edited by stoneharry; 11-03-2010 at 02:09 PM.

Installer For Debian (Run a private WoW server, easy as 1 - 2 - 3)
    Apoc's Avatar Angry Penguin
    Thanks G/R
    0/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get me wrong, it's nice that you created a 'hands-free' solution. But I can see why the deleted your posts.

1) Your SSH script can potentially contain very bad code. (Especially for people who don't run servers)
    2) The files being pulled from your server can also contain bad code [eg; rootkits, etc]

I'm going to leave this up while I check the files, but I'd suggest packaging the entire thing in a tarball and having the script run from that. (I wouldn't trust anything that's downloading WoW based stuff from a random server)

runningcow's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough, I may offer both options in the next release. It seemed simpler for the end user to just type in three commands after downloading a 15 kb file than downloading 700 MB worth of data at once...

I suppose I could have it all packaged in a tar ball and give directions on how to extract it all. Your welcome to check over my SH code, you'll see that it doesn't send any data to my server and requires the exact same repositories that trinity core normally does. When it generates a random password users will have the option to enter their own password instead in the next release.

Aside from that they told me that they didn't want an auto installer, not that my code was bad or that I included viruses... Simply put they don't want "noobs" running a server. I run a private server and it would be against my ethics (and my server's good name) to include viruses/backdoors in my code.

runningcow's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I've released a new version on site that allows users to select if they would like to install apache2 or phpmyadmin or both during the installation. Thus there are no longer "two versions" but instead one...

Current version: 0.4.8

Aside from that next version I will be adding the feature to setup the realmist in the database and install only the core, only the mysql and allow users to specify where the other one (the database or the core) is at (aka on another server).

Finally I will be adding the ability to download one large tar.gz file and a script to run it so users can make sure they get the information they want and options to download their own versions of the data for security.

glh290's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how exactly do i compile and start the trinity core? i have realm list and every thing i wanted setup. and how do i change the apache port from 80 to something else?