Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modify vanilla wow client to support external links on login screen

Hello,

I'm trying to patch the original WoW.exe 1.12.1 (5875) client to be able to add buttons on the login screen. Ideally, I would like to redirect the users to my own domain when those button are clicked (say I want to add a button pointing to my custom armory website).

I managed to patch the executable (WoW.exe) using a Power Shell script, which will unlock the ability to modify the UI (normally you would get an error saying that the client is corrupted).

My change was something around these lines:

Code:
    0x2f113a = 0xeb;
    0x2f113b = 0x19;
    0x2f1158 = 0x03;
    0x2f11a7 = 0x03;
    0x2f11f0 = 0xeb;
    0x2f11f1 = 0xb2;
    The patch was successful and I was able to modify the "Interface\GlueXML\AccountLogin.lua" file using an MPQ editor. My buttons are now visible on the login screen. Let's say the url is (as an example): Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As soon as I started the client, I noticed that when my button was pressed, nothing happened (no errors or warning were showed). I suspected the wow client was blocking my requests.

So I did some extra digging and I found out that my domain (the one inside the link) needed to be allowed within the WoW.exe file.

Using Ghidra/HxD, I found the following memory addresses: 0085cc48/0085ccd8

The content of those are values like "*.worldofwarcraft.com". So I basically changed them to be "*.wikipedia.com",

The client is still working fine however when I press my custom buttons nothing happens. Somehow the requests are still blocked.

I think there is something which I'm missing. It could be related to the length of the new domain name?

Is anyone able to help me?
    Last edited by ShadowHolis; 08-15-2023 at 05:03 PM.

Modify vanilla wow client to support external links on login screen
    Twardowsky's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote private msg

joedill's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by ShadowHolis View Post
    Hello,

I'm trying to patch the original WoW.exe 1.12.1 (5875) client to be able to add buttons on the login screen. Ideally, I would like to redirect the users to my own domain when those button are clicked (say I want to add a button pointing to my custom armory website).

I managed to patch the executable (WoW.exe) using a Power Shell script, which will unlock the ability to modify the UI (normally you would get an error saying that the client is corrupted).

My change was something around these lines:

Code:
    0x2f113a = 0xeb;
    0x2f113b = 0x19;
    0x2f1158 = 0x03;
    0x2f11a7 = 0x03;
    0x2f11f0 = 0xeb;
    0x2f11f1 = 0xb2;
    The patch was successful and I was able to modify the "Interface\GlueXML\AccountLogin.lua" file using an MPQ editor. My buttons are now visible on the login screen. Let's say the url is (as an example): Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As soon as I started the client, I noticed that when my button was pressed, nothing happened (no errors or warning were showed). I suspected the wow client was blocking my requests.

So I did some extra digging and I found out that my domain (the one inside the link) needed to be allowed within the WoW.exe file.

Using Ghidra/HxD, I found the following memory addresses: 0085cc48/0085ccd8

The content of those are values like "*.worldofwarcraft.com". So I basically changed them to be "*.wikipedia.com",

The client is still working fine however when I press my custom buttons nothing happens. Somehow the requests are still blocked.

I think there is something which I'm missing. It could be related to the length of the new domain name?

Is anyone able to help me?
    It seems like you've made some progress in modifying the WoW client to add custom buttons on the login screen. However, there might be additional considerations for handling requests to external domains. Here are a few suggestions and things to check:

Domain Length and Format:

Ensure that the length of your new domain name matches or is within the expected limits set by the WoW client. Some applications might have constraints on the length of URLs they can handle.
    Protocol and Port:

Confirm that your custom URL includes the correct protocol (e.g., "http://" or "CapCut Mod APK v10.8.0 Download (Premium Unlocked)") and port if needed. The WoW client might have restrictions on certain protocols or ports for security reasons.
    Network Requests:

Double-check that the custom buttons are triggering network requests as expected. You can use browser developer tools or packet sniffing tools to monitor the network traffic and see if the requests are being made.
    Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS):

If your custom armory website is hosted on a different domain than the WoW client, make sure that your server is configured to handle Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) properly. This involves setting the appropriate headers on your server to allow requests from the WoW client's domain.
    Error Handling:

Implement error handling in your code to catch any potential issues with the requests. Check the console logs or any error messages that might be generated when the button is clicked.
    Debugging Tools:

Utilize debugging tools such as logging or breakpoints to trace the flow of your code and identify any specific points of failure. This can help you pinpoint where the issue might be occurring.
    Last edited by joedill; 01-17-2024 at 08:01 AM.