Advice for a returning player with some odd behaviour running a private server menu

User Tag List

DavidMulgrew's Avatar Member Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice for a returning player with some odd behaviour running a private server

Havent played wow for many years. If this is the wrong place I'd appreciate a pointer where to go.

Recently I decided to experiment with setting up a TBC server to mess around on. Its not public, just locally hosted.

I am using this one http:///forums/world-of-warcraft/wor...e-2-4-3-a.html

I noticed an issue when I log in that there are no quests available. No NPCs have quest markers.

After some trial and error I noticed that if I create a new character, log in, the quest markers are there. If I log out and back in again the quest markers are gone. Talking to the NPC they don't have a quest available so its not just that the markers are not showing.

I tried creating a new account and the same thing happens. Tried different starting areas, same thing.

After some additional testing I've also noticed that if I restart the server I will see the quest marker with my first login but then not again.

Server I'm using is Sunstrider TBC bropack from ownedcore

Apologies if thats a little too brief, I've not even played wow for the best part of a decade and this is my first attempt to setup a server.

I have tried clearing the client side cache and connecting to other servers. I can connect to others without this issue so its definitely a server side issue.
    Last edited by DavidMulgrew; 07-14-2023 at 01:06 PM.

Advice for a returning player with some odd behaviour running a private server
    stoneharry's Avatar Moderator Harry

Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    151/146
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately there is very little you can do to debug repack issues. It's not clear what they were compiled from, the versions used, etc.

Compiling yourself can be quite daunting if you have never done anything similar in the past, but the guides tend to explain things step-by-step and as long as you follow the instructions carefully it is doable.

I would recommend going down the route of trying to compile and setup the server yourself. Then you will have full control over it and be able to ensure you are using the latest fixes.

DavidMulgrew's Avatar Member Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further testing after some advice on reddit

Problem exists with an account that has no elevated permissions (no gm mode). However I tried toggling gm mode off with my gm account,. When I toggle it off or on the quest icons come back but when I log out and back in again they are gone again.

I may try what you suggest. I'm a software dev and have a lot of experience managing servers, I just have no experience with wow servers. I'll look up some of the guides to repack the it myself