Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overwriting models / doodad -> Game Exit

Hey guys,

I am currently trying to change small things at the doodads / some models. Lets say I want to make an object very small or replace it with another object. I search in memory for the occurence of the doodad that i want to replace. This part is no problem, I find the refferences to the specific doodad and its content. It would normaly be eazy to edit.

It probably is not suprising but once I overrite the doodad, the game stops in 90% of the cases or usually shortly after the changes.
    I do a very basic "WriteProcessMemory" to overwrite the data i want to overwrite.

I currently see three approaches to bypass this issue, but would like a recomendation where to dig deeper:
    1. Identify how WoW checks wether the meory was changed and avoiding it
    2. Overwriting the doodads locally. I assume they check the signature somewhere (they are encrypted so probably also signed) -> Disable the signature check
    3. Identify times / locations that i can replace and are not checked
    4. Forget about editing the files or memory because it is too hard and trying to hook / change syscalls or complete external libraries -> See what I can do there. Lets say if making an object very small, mayber DrawIndexedPrimitive could be the right place to hook?

I assume some of you solved this issue already, since the forum is called Memory Editing and not Memory Reading
    Where would you recomend I start?

Thanks a lot! Any hint is highly appriciated!!

=========== Edit ===========
    After reading the screenshot post I think maybe approach 4 is the best. Probably using frida or something similar

========== Edit 2 ===========
    Found an article that compares 1, 3 & 4 here: Deceiving Blizzard Warden – HackMag

========== Edit 3 ===========
    So the issue seems to to be solved since other people are morphing characters like crayz =) Will look into how they do it (e.g. iMorph) and so on!
    Last edited by blueDot; 03-14-2021 at 12:46 PM.

Overwriting models / doodad -> Game Exit