Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Classic] 1.13.2.32089 - Spell Names?

Hi,

I struggle finding out how to get the name of a spell, and hoping that someone here can provide me information about it .
    The only thing i have been able to find name of is a mob.

[Classic] 1.13.2.32089 - Spell Names?
    charles420's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    25/119
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few options read spells.db2 out of process or in process and or dump spell list & compare

lolp1's Avatar Site Donator CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    43/77
    Trade Feedback
    3 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by NoxiaZ View Post
    Hi,

I struggle finding out how to get the name of a spell, and hoping that someone here can provide me information about it .
    The only thing i have been able to find name of is a mob.
    As far as I am aware, the lua functions actually query the database for the spell record entry containing the name. A simple work around is to simply query the spell ID on some website like wowhead or any other suitable site where you can extract the name from the given spell ID. Another option is to output the spell name using GetSpellInfo and passing an ID to some place you can read from memory. I've even seen people use PCAPS and reading the info from client side or local chat or what ever...

If you are in process, my as well just look it up in the DB though.

mazer's Avatar Member Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    7/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry cant find my code, but did this via wowhead too.

you can query wowhead like wowhead.com/spell=[spellid] and read the page title to get the spell name. local caching of spellnames is recommended to.
    at this time this method was easier for me than trying to figure out how to read the db oop

NoxiaZ's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    21/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by charles420 View Post
    Few options read spells.db2 out of process or in process and or dump spell list & compare
    I havent been able to figure out how to read from the spells.db2 yet, do you have any links that can provide me with that information?

Originally Posted by lolp1 View Post
    As far as I am aware, the lua functions actually query the database for the spell record entry containing the name. A simple work around is to simply query the spell ID on some website like wowhead or any other suitable site where you can extract the name from the given spell ID. Another option is to output the spell name using GetSpellInfo and passing an ID to some place you can read from memory. I've even seen people use PCAPS and reading the info from client side or local chat or what ever...

If you are in process, my as well just look it up in the DB though.
    I'm only reading memory, so my options are limited - Guess i gonna crawl a external site
    Actually sounds fun to read from chat, and run a lua script to gather the information at startup.

Originally Posted by mazer View Post
    sorry cant find my code, but did this via wowhead too.

you can query wowhead like wowhead.com/spell=[spellid] and read the page title to get the spell name. local caching of spellnames is recommended to.
    at this time this method was easier for me than trying to figure out how to read the db oop
    I would like not to be depended on external sources - But i have thought about just crawl wowhead, because i aswell find that easier then figure out how to read the spells.db2

Method's Avatar Contributor Modding Enthusiast CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    2/29
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey there. for the original 1.12.2 client: spells, their names, ID's etc are contained within your client files. (Namely: spell.dbc in your dbc folder)

Spell ID's are what you're actually looking for? This is a database, everything is based on UID's.. not names.

-

Okay, so having some knowledge of game files helps:

MPQ = Old Blizzard Storage (It's a .rar or .7z file) Pre-WoD 6.0
    CASC = New Blizzard Storage (It's a .rar or .7z file) Post-WoD 6.0

Releases . WoW-Tools/CASCExplorer . GitHub

You need programs to access your respective container format. (and edit/extract them like any other .rar or .7z type file)

Once you get in you'll find...

.dbc = Old Blizzard DBC format (like a very small excel sheet) Pre-WoD 6.0
    .db2 = New Blizzard DBC format (like a very small excel sheet) Post-WoD 6.0

--

The way we access MPQ's in 1.12.2 is by using an MPQ editor, Ladiks is the most widely used.
    The way you access CASC's in WoD 6.0+ is by using CASCexplorer. So this applies to Classic.
    Classic is a 7.0 based client.

--
    Blizzard likes to patch their game, so: spells are introduced with patches, so there are multiple different spell.dbc files containing different spells.
    If you need a complete list of 1.12.2 spells. In Ladiks you have the option to open all of the MPQ's in combined mode, simultaniously, to obtain a combined, complete spell.dbc.
    --

I, myself, did manage to export a full 1.12.2 database a while back for a personal project, doing so is relatively simple.
    Doing this for 1.12.3 is harder obviously. Since it involves CASC's and .db2's , and CASC exploration/exporting tools, as well as .db2 tools are still very WIP (but do exist, it is these tools you want)

--

If Blizzard is using the 1.12.2 reference client, then all of the spell data should be incredibly similar (if not, exactly the same as the reference client) Otherwise, they would have had to redo many quests and many other systems, similar to any other private server. They categorically did NOT do this.

Blizzard DID completely overhaul their spell system and how Spells are handled in 6.0.
    1.12.3 is a 7.0-based client.
    Nobody can be certain if the data is or isn't the exact same - but based on how Blizzard has described their "getting the data to fit the new system" problem in detail.
    (I.E copy-paste and fix things later). I'd say the information remains entirely unchanged.
    Therefore, for a complete list of spell names in classic? simply use the 1.12.2 reference client and export from there.

-

Since it was kinda asked? How spells work is complicated:

basically, a single spell like Smite is a combination of multiple ID's working together. You can think of Smite is a "high-level spell" A spell will always have multiple ID's linked to it, for things like procs, to simple visual effects. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that you will never see. These spells are still spells. "low-level spells"

A while back someone asked me to look into how the Bombay Cat Carrier worked. What I found out is that the item has a spell ID linked to it, but that ID was to a generic summoning spell, and that summoning spell had another spell linked to that that would summon the cat, and that summon cat spell is actually provided with other ID's for visual effects and the cat's model.

--
    no LUA is involved at all with spells. LUA is how addons are made. LUA could be used to make a crawler to extract information ABOUT spells from the game at run-time via an addon, or you could go into the client-files yourself and obtain the excel sheet directly, the spell.dbc

In terms of LUA SCRIPTING, which can be done on private servers, spells aren't learned by NPC's, but NPC's can cast any spell they like via LUA scripting. This is used for boss encounters, enrage mechanics, phases...etc. Spells are part of this process, but LUA and Spells aren't the same thing. LUA is used to script fights, which can of course contain many spells.
    Last edited by Method; 10-20-2019 at 03:22 PM.

7. Thanks NoxiaZ (1 members gave Thanks to Method for this useful post)
    Thanks G/R
    21/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you so much for the information @Method - I see there is a lot of things to learn
    But again thanks for the provided information, makes much more sense now.

xalcon's Avatar Contributor ふたなり
    Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    20/58
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are looking for file format specifications, the wowdev wiki has quite a nice collection. Most of it is incomplete, but it should get you going.
    In addition to that, there are quite a few github repositories that have really useful libraries that you can either use directly or port to your language of choice.

Bunch of more current stuff with frequent updates, primarily authored by marlamin (wowdev.wiki maintainer)
    wowdev . GitHub
    -> GitHub - wowdev/WoWDBDefs: Client database definitions for World of Warcraft
    -> GitHub - wowdev/DBCD: C# library for reading DBC/DB2 database files from World of Warcraft

Another set of repositories that I found useful.
    WoW Dev Tools . GitHub
    -> https://github.com/WowDevTools/libwarcraft
    -> https://github.com/WowDevTools/WDBXEditor

Also a web based WotLK client, pretty impressive stuff:
    https://github.com/wowserhq/wowser

These are just a few repos, there a lot more - maybe we should make a thread with those?
    "Threads should always commit suicide - they should never be murdered" - DirectX SDK

10. Thanks charles420, mazer (2 members gave Thanks to xalcon for this useful post)
    mazer's Avatar Member Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    7/5
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by xalcon View Post
    These are just a few repos, there a lot more - maybe we should make a thread with those?
    there is a sticky with libs etc. there are so many repos and sources only a few people really know (or are just plain unknown to new programmers) but they are so helpful. thread should be updated or a new one started.

Thanks G/R
    21/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by xalcon View Post
    If you are looking for file format specifications, the wowdev wiki has quite a nice collection. Most of it is incomplete, but it should get you going.
    In addition to that, there are quite a few github repositories that have really useful libraries that you can either use directly or port to your language of choice.

Bunch of more current stuff with frequent updates, primarily authored by marlamin (wowdev.wiki maintainer)
    wowdev . GitHub
    -> GitHub - wowdev/WoWDBDefs: Client database definitions for World of Warcraft
    -> GitHub - wowdev/DBCD: C# library for reading DBC/DB2 database files from World of Warcraft

Another set of repositories that I found useful.
    WoW Dev Tools . GitHub
    -> https://github.com/WowDevTools/libwarcraft
    -> https://github.com/WowDevTools/WDBXEditor

Also a web based WotLK client, pretty impressive stuff:
    https://github.com/wowserhq/wowser

Thank you for the links, i'll try some of them - These i have found have been saying wrong format on the spell.db2.

So i ended up just taking the spell ids from wowhead instead, and look into this later again. (Got much more to do before bot is ready)

And thank you all for taking time and putting so much effort into helping, it's a pleasure !

xkyii's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    5/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't find any .dbc or .db2 file in classic client, how to dump or read from process memory?

Thanks G/R
    21/12
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by xkyii View Post
    I didn't find any .dbc or .db2 file in classic client, how to dump or read from process memory?
    Its a lot easier to use WoW.tools | Database browser and create a program that download each new patch, you can download it as CSV.