Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to get function names from IDA?

When i open wow.exe in IDA, all function names are "sub_xxxxxx"

And in the top dump thread, The idb file contains some function name such as "CGUI_XXXX", how to get those function names ?? And is there a way to get all function names?

How to get function names from IDA?
    Remus3's Avatar Hobby 3D Character Artist Ex-Super Mod CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    3/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think before you post. You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

demonguy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen the page before... But wow.exe in client should be a release version right? According to that page , i can't find any function names in the release version

But how could dump thread find them?

sitnspinlock's Avatar Elite User CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IDA will automatically match symbol names from the pe's debug section if it exists. In a release build you can still have symbols included or strip them out, no software vendor is going to leave their debug symbols in the executable because it obviously facilitates reverse engineering.

the reason quite a few are listed in that thread is because one of their developers let them slip without having them stripped. therefore it was a leak.

demonguy's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see.... Thanks

homer91's Avatar Active Member CoreCoins Purchaser
    Thanks G/R
    59/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by everdox View Post
    one of their developers let them slip without having them stripped. therefore it was a leak.
    I'm interested in this story. Can you tell me more? When did this happend? Where can I read more about it?
    Last edited by homer91; 05-03-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: forgot to quoting, no wonder my question looked like I'm high.

Cypher's Avatar Kynox's Sister's Pimp
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by homer91 View Post
    I'm interested in this story. Can you tell me more? When did this happend? Where can I read more about it?

The ****? Are you high?

P.S. Your avatar makes me want to punch you in the face if I ever meet you.

Thanks G/R
    59/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

The ****? Are you high?

P.S. Your avatar makes me want to punch you in the face if I ever meet you.
    Okey, I'm sorry Demonguy, this gonna be absolutely offtopic.

I'm really pissed at you Cypher. You seem like a good programmer, who knows his stuff, but damn, you are a gigantic jerk. You are just pissed at everyone in this section, who you think dont meet your intellectual level or you are in just the in that mood, I dont know but this kind of behaviour what you are doing on this forum is really hostile, and It's definitely not good for the whole memory editing section. It wont keep the noobs away you know. All I see from your posts is awesome code. That, or flaming the shit out of somebody.
    Oh, and you gave me minus rep (not the first time). This time I felt it really unfair, and unreasoned so I tried to minus rep you. I was so naive. How is that fair on forum, that the old dogs have the option to minus rep a member below them, but not the other way? Maybe there is something that annoys ME in you. Can I do shit about it? Of course I can't. Although I think I'm more mature than that, not like you most of the times on the forum.
    I would like to take this opportunity, and answer your "Memory Editing Section Call For Input" thread here, I thinks its pretty relevant.
    *Every member should have the opportunity to +/- rep. Everyone or noone. (you could put some basic restriction on it, like you must have been registered for month...)
    *Stop acting like a 12 years old girl. You show people how pissed you are because all the noobs asking for spoonfeed and maybe for help. Maybe the threads 50% is noobs asking for spoonfeeding and stuff, But your flaming them takes a mentionable ammount too.

PS: If you are gonna ban me, at least give me an answer before it please. I'm interested in what you want to say.

BoogieManTM's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okey, I'm sorry Demonguy, this gonna be absolutely offtopic.

I'm really pissed at you Cypher. You seem like a good programmer, who knows his stuff, but damn, you are a gigantic jerk. You are just pissed at everyone in this section, who you think dont meet your intellectual level or you are in just the in that mood, I dont know but this kind of behaviour what you are doing on this forum is really hostile, and It's definitely not good for the whole memory editing section. It wont keep the noobs away you know. All I see from your posts is awesome code. That, or flaming the shit out of somebody.
    Oh, and you gave me minus rep (not the first time). This time I felt it really unfair, and unreasoned so I tried to minus rep you. I was so naive. How is that fair on forum, that the old dogs have the option to minus rep a member below them, but not the other way? Maybe there is something that annoys ME in you. Can I do shit about it? Of course I can't. Although I think I'm more mature than that, not like you most of the times on the forum.
    I would like to take this opportunity, and answer your "Memory Editing Section Call For Input" thread here, I thinks its pretty relevant.
    *Every member should have the opportunity to +/- rep. Everyone or noone. (you could put some basic restriction on it, like you must have been registered for month...)
    *Stop acting like a 12 years old girl. You show people how pissed you are because all the noobs asking for spoonfeed and maybe for help. Maybe the threads 50% is noobs asking for spoonfeeding and stuff, But your flaming them takes a mentionable ammount too.

PS: If you are gonna ban me, at least give me an answer before it please. I'm interested in what you want to say.

You earn the right to de-rep people. Otherwise idiots would make 50 accounts just to de-rep someone into oblivion. Site's aren't a democracy either.. it's not equal rights, this isn't a free state.. It's their rules and that's the end of it.

Bananenbrot's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, my first reaction was to look at your profile and estimate if you are a forum bot... but nvm, I can just reproduce Cypher's initial wtf reaction.

Thanks G/R
    59/7
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by BoogieManTM View Post
    You earn the right to de-rep people. Otherwise idiots would make 50 accounts just to de-rep someone into oblivion. Site's aren't a democracy either.. it's not equal rights, this isn't a free state.. It's their rules and that's the end of it.
    Okey, that is why I wrote it as a suggestion, and not a demand.

Originally Posted by Bananenbrot View Post
    Actually, my first reaction was to look at your profile and estimate if you are a forum bot... but nvm, I can just reproduce Cypher's initial wtf reaction.
    Yeah well, I may had been a little bit over excited, but is that a bad thing? Is that against the rules here as well?
    Last edited by homer91; 05-03-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Bananenbrot's Avatar Contributor
    Thanks G/R
    1/3
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't a bad thing to be curious and stuff, but your out-of-the-blue questions made me a little suspicious

namreeb's Avatar Legendary

Thanks G/R
    7/215
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really pissed at you Cypher. You seem like a good programmer, who knows his stuff, but damn, you are a gigantic jerk. You are just pissed at everyone in this section, who you think dont meet your intellectual level or you are in just the in that mood
    As someone who does not meet Cypher's intellectual level, I can say that he has never been anything but helpful and generous in his responses to me. As for the rest, tl;dr

boredevil's Avatar Active Member Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by namreeb View Post
    ...I can say that he has never been anything but helpful and generous in his responses to me...
    signed!

@homer91 Did you even read the section rules? I know teachers told you, there are no stupid questions. - But they lied to you!

MaiN's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/10
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really pissed at you Cypher. You seem like a good programmer, who knows his stuff, but damn, you are a gigantic jerk. You are just pissed at everyone in this section, who you think dont meet your intellectual level or you are in just the in that mood
    As someone who is above Cypher's intellectual level.. I can tell you that Cypher is not angry - he's just butthurt. All he really wants is a giant hug, and your avatar of Boxxy obviously triggered something.

http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/worl...ebug-info.html ([mac] 4.1.0 Build 13850 release w/debug info?) <- Here is the original thread where Tanaris4 had discovered it.

@OP: You don't just "get" function names from IDA. Either you compare it with some of the leaks, as mentioned, or you reverse it to see what it does and pick a name yourself.
    [16:15:41] Cypher: caus the CPU is a dick
    [16:16:07] kynox: CPU is mad
    [16:16:15] Cypher: CPU is all like
    [16:16:16] Cypher: whatever, i do what i want

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast