7/8
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting started with pathing?

We've come to a step in the bot where we are choosing how to determine our path, and we agreed that a navmesh would be the best solution. However, I have absolutely no idea how this works, and I don't want to be useless on this.

So I've been googling and searching around for guides on getting started with this kind of stuff, however I have only found "advanced" guides on how to optimize etc. That's why I am looking for a few links, references and guides to help me get started out on all the BASIC things. I thought this would be the place to post as I see many threads regarding navmeshes etc., and I figured someone must have started out like me. I am however surprised that I haven't found any basic guides. I guess I am using the wrong keywords for the terms I'm looking.

I would really appreciate any helpfull responses

Getting started with pathing?
    namreeb's Avatar Legendary

Thanks G/R
    7/215
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good place to start would be hooking up one of the publicly available parsers to Recast + Detour.

miceiken's Avatar Contributor Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    7/8
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by namreeb View Post
    A good place to start would be hooking up one of the publicly available parsers to Recast + Detour.
    Yeah, I've been playing around it. But I have really no idea what all the terms mean, like vertices, regarding tiles and sizes and all that stuff.

alynel's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a look at the post on the bottom of the first page of http://www.mmowned.com/forums/world-...mentation.html - it gives an overview of the navmesh generation process, pretty much what recast does.

Thanks G/R
    7/215
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sorry but there's no way to say this without sounding like a jerk: if you don't know what a vertex is you have no business even attempting this.

miceiken's Avatar Contributor Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    7/8
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by namreeb View Post
    I'm sorry but there's no way to say this without sounding like a jerk: if you don't know what a vertex is you have no business even attempting this.
    The knowledge of what a vertex is came with you when you were born? This is why I asked for the very basic stuff.
    EDIT: As my native language isn't english, some of the words that may seem obvious to you. If I'm right vertex is some kind of point?
    Last edited by miceiken; 01-07-2011 at 02:45 PM.

Cypher's Avatar Kynox's Sister's Pimp
    Thanks G/R
    0/4
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by miceiken View Post
    The knowledge of what a vertex is came with you when you were born? This is why I asked for the very basic stuff.
    EDIT: As my native language isn't english, some of the words that may seem obvious to you. If I'm right vertex is some kind of point?
    It did for me. I came out of the womb knowing IA32 ASM and what a vertex is.

adaephon's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that your womb was clearly more deficient than Cypher's, information on what a vertex is could be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vertex_(geometry). Navigation meshes, as the name implies, involve generating a 3D mesh that can be used for navigation. A general understanding of 3D meshes would therefore be a useful place to start. If you want really basic information, Google is going to be a better place to look than here.

Find an article on navigation meshes that seems to explain the general process, then look up, learn, and understand every term mentioned that is foreign to you.

Thanks G/R
    7/215
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A vertex is a term for an ordered triplet (x, y, z). In short: yes, it's a point. Your geometry will be in the form of an array of vertices and an array of indices. The indices define triangles. For example, if you want to make a vertex of the first, second and third vertices in your list (assuming you use a base zero system), the numbers 0, 1 and 2 would appear in your list.

MaiN's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/10
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think his point (no pun intended) is that you could've googled it fast.
    [16:15:41] Cypher: caus the CPU is a dick
    [16:16:07] kynox: CPU is mad
    [16:16:15] Cypher: CPU is all like
    [16:16:16] Cypher: whatever, i do what i want