Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mathematical Values of Pkmn Exp in Pkmn Go

Hey guys!

I did some mathematical analysis of the exp value of each pokemon catch. As the more experienced players know, the best value for your lucky eggs is evolving a ton of pokemon while you have it up. Lucky eggs double your exp gains for 30 minutes.
    Each evo is 500 without the egg, making each evo with it 1k exp. With the mathematical analysis, we assume that lucky eggs are used only for evolving and not for catching, as that would be an extremely inefficient and expensive way to use the lucky egg. That being said, heres some numbers for you guys:

Pokemon with no evolutions are our control. They provide 100 exp per catch, with candies only being useful for leveling them, thus their candies will provide no exp use whatsoever.

Pokemon with 12 candy evolutions, aka pidgey, weedle, and caterpie, are by far the best experience generators. Considering that each catch provides 4 candies, each catch is 1/3 of an evolution. 1/3 of that 1k per evolution means each catch of a 12 evo pkmn is worth 433 experience after adding in catching bonus (1k divided by 3 is 333). This also means that these cheap evo very abundant pokemon are worth about 2/3s of what a new pokemon catch provides in exp.

Pokemon that require 25 candies to evolve are considerably behind the 12 candy evolvers. The most common in my area is no doubt Rattata. Considering that 1 catch is the equivalence of 1/6 of an evolution, that means that they are worth 266 exp altogether (1k divided by 6 is 166). This means that the 12 evolution pokemon are worth 62% MORE exp than Rattatas, making catching them almost not worth it. My suggestion is that if you encounter a Rattata or another 25 candy evolver, only try to catch it if its cp is very low, making the catch very swift. Otherwise, run and try for a different pokemon.

As we go to 50, the numbers are so bad they are not even worth it unless you are trying to get a new evolution you have for your pokedex, not for the experience. Zubat is no doubt the most common of the 50 evolving pokemon I have in my area. That said, a 50 evolving pokemon is worth 183 experience per catch (1k divided by 12 is 83.) That is so low of an experience gain, that a 12 evo pkmn is 2.36 times more experience. That makes Zubats to be avoided at all costs, regardless of how easy it is to catch (unlike 25 candy pokemon.)

At 100, the numbers are 142 experience per catch. Completely not worth it.

The only 400 candy evolver I know of is Magikarp, with the lowest experience gain aside from our control, of only 111 exp per catch.

Well there you go guys! Im sorry for the long post, but I was up and couldnt sleep, so I figured this info might help some people out.

TLDR; AVOID Zubats, only catch Rattatas if they are green and easy to catch. Catch all Pidgeys, Weedles, and Caterpies. Evolve as many 12 evolvers you can with Lucky Egg up. Thats how you maximize your exp gain.

Mathematical Values of Pkmn Exp in Pkmn Go
  2. Thanks Smitten, Willy (2 members gave Thanks to monkieassasin for this useful post)
    HunterHero's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    150/230
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post! I saw someone on reddit make a google spreadsheet table for seeing how many candies is required to level up, and how much exp it gives: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...3cc/edit#gid=0. It needs some work though but you can just download it and add in the number of evolutions and etc.

4. Thanks monkieassasin (1 members gave Thanks to HunterHero for this useful post)
    jimmys96's Avatar Legendary
    Thanks G/R
    224/210
    Trade Feedback
    2 (100%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post, literally just figured this out myself and came here to see if it was posted already ^^ Do you happen to know the max amount of evolutions you can make within the timeframe of 1 egg?

6. Thanks monkieassasin (1 members gave Thanks to jimmys96 for this useful post)
    monkieassasin's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    2/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Provided you have no new evolutions, you can do about 70 per egg. Each evolution takes abou 25-30 seconds. New evolutions take a few seconds longer because of the pokedex cutscene, but are still worth it as they give twice the anount normal evos do. I used an egg last night and had a few new pokemon. I got 73k exp and evolved 66 pokemon before it ran out. I went from 17 to 20

Insanefury's Avatar Active Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/14
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think gym battles may be faster if you use a second account to toss a level 10 Pokemon into a gym for you to defeat. This is especially true if you factor in the time spent collecting candies.

I'd like to see this done vs how many gym battles you can win in the 30min time frame of lucky egg.

Thanks G/R
    2/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my city, its not possible to do the gym thing because the gyms are haviky fortified and constantly fought for.

This post was meant to just show some numbers for people to judge if they should be catching certain pokemon for exp or not

CyaBB's Avatar Member Authenticator enabled
    Thanks G/R
    21/11
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are also many issues with the gyms. Often i cant hit GO.

Thanks G/R
    2/2
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This too /10 char