351/297
    Trade Feedback
    9 (100%)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

QNAP NAS -> Streaming?

So.. I own a qnap nas and I wish to be able to let it stream, so I can watch the movies I have on there, when I am on the go..
    However, I am a n00b with it and cant figure it out.
    could you help me? Either here or skype?

QNAP NAS -> Streaming?
    firepong's Avatar Elite User
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know on mine, which IMO, is a out-dated POS (Newegg.com - QNAP TS-101 9-in-1 NAS Server), I have to go into the settings (connect to the NAS like a router by typing in it's IP address) and enable Web Server. From there, I just could turn on FTP or HTTP access to the router. What I did with mine is gave it one of my DynDNS addresses in-case the IP address changed since I don't have static IP's (verizon charges $120 for 1! static, hish as shit). Mine also has many more features besides FTP and HTTP, but I never had the use to use them. I did try to turn it into a SVN, but it didn't work out so well lol.

One of these days, I'll update to a Synology NAS that looks like it has a much better User Interface than my NAS lol.

EDIT* For streaming, what I had to do (on my android) was get a video player(MX Player in my case) that supported URL links. From there, I was able to type in my DynDNS address plus the rest of whatever to where my files are stored.
    Last edited by firepong; 12-16-2012 at 11:43 AM.