[Simple Tips] rare and elites and tricks you can use to help make things a bit easier menu

User Tag List

TehVoyager's Avatar I just love KuRIoS
    Thanks G/R
    85/470
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[Simple Tips] rare and elites and tricks you can use to help make things a bit easier

Hey. decided to throw some tips up to make some types of rare and elite mobs a bit easier.
    Remember, these are just simple tips. nothing game breaking or revolutionary. the idea here is more to get the creative juices flowing to come up with those better ideas.

i play a wizard, so the tips i offer are based around that. please feel free to contribute your own ideas.

Mortar: as you're aware, mortar can be a PAIN for ranged. two things I've noticed for them however is 1: they have a minimum throw range and 2: they generally start throwing past you if you try to kite away in a straight line. if you can (aka no really nasty melee range abilities) run in close to them. if that isn't an option, circle kite them as apposed to kiting directly away.

Kiting: one thing i've been doing to great effect is to find a building, wall, or large clump of vegetation that you cant walk through. kite mobs around that. it lets you keep mobs in a close area, and not need to worry about running off into unexplored territory and risk pulling more. you can also defeat Vortex and mobs with charge abilities like this. either they or you will get stuck by geometry using this trick.

Fire chain: if you encounter a fire chain pack, you can sometimes defeat the fire chain ability by hiding out in a corner. doorways up / down work well for this. hold your mouse down and run as far in as you can, hold shift, spam attacks. the mobs will try to surround you and wont be able to. this is ofc dependent on the other mods the pack has. i used it to great effect in a cave where 4 blue quill beasts spawned at the door.

The double Bridges in act 4: You can sometimes get mobs stuck on the pillars at the end of the double bridges in act 4. kite them to the pillar, freeze, run aroud the pillar, on to the other bridge and far enough that they are only in the corner of the screen. nuke from safety.

Tyrial: he looks like a skinny but buff guy, but in reality his a fatty. or at least his hit box is. use it to your advantage. kite mobs through a doorway till they are in the door, then tele back past them and use tyrial to block the door.

Tank Templar: if you have some money to throw around, gear your templar up with +vit, +resist all, +armor (some dex and str helps too. spec him into taunting and holding mobs. he wont live long in inferno, but its long enough to open a gap against mobs. and remember you can re-spec him at any time, giving him DPS against white mobs and taunts against elites and rares.

Vampiric mobs: dismiss your companion. they are dumb as dirt and will stand there and let a mob leech full HP off them.

When asking for tips/suggestions for inferno: Make sure to include your +resist stat.if you say "i need help with inferno, i have 40k hp and 35k dps and 40% crit" im going to assume you have less than 100 resists, and state that that is your problem.

aaaaannnddddd: contribute!

(don't post things I post to Patreon.)

[Simple Tips] rare and elites and tricks you can use to help make things a bit easier
    Insomniaco's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/1
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would rather use the enchantress I'm afraid, she got some lovely CC's!
    Stupid is what stupid does - Forrest Gump

TehVoyager's Avatar I just love KuRIoS
    Thanks G/R
    85/470
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, im only in Act 1 but my templar has a stun and a knockback, plus some heals. and i've used him to block some packs from reaching me through narrow areas in caves. i plan to switch up to the enchantress once i get into act 2 and get her some gear, but really i spent about 30k on gear for my templar and he sits atm around 200 resits, 60% dmg reduction from armor, and 40k hp while still doing 500dps. hes not great, but he IS a benefit still in act 1 of inferno.

(don't post things I post to Patreon.)

stcc's Avatar Member
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mortar has no minimum throw range in inferno.

fnud1's Avatar Private
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by stcc View Post
    The mortar has no minimum throw range in inferno.
    Yes it does. If I stand against mortar mobs on inferno they still can't hit me with their mortar.

Workas's Avatar Sergeant
    Thanks G/R
    0/0
    Trade Feedback
    0 (0%)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also if you're a DH and you see "damage reflect" unless SS is up the best bet is to run!

Also besides hugging the mortars it's quite easy to move around the areas they hit if you start moving when you see they start to shoot. Not really a "pro tip" but I hardly get hit by them anymore
    Last edited by Workas; 06-06-2012 at 01:58 AM.